How are Primewells?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My biggest peeve with tires are poor wet/winter traction and noisy anytime especially as they age.

If Primewells do fine in traction and stay quiet as they age I would not hesitate to buy them.

I had Primewells on two airport(read beaters) cars when money was tight, both in 185/65/14 size. One of the longest lasting tires I ever drove on. Decent rain traction, never ran them in snow, a little loud at highway speed. While I haven't bought anything but American made tires in a few years, I'd buy them again if I had to.

Originally Posted By: Maxima97
I am using it on my Camry now. I like the PrimeWell Tire for price and durability. The wall is very stiff and thick. I think they are safe. I spend 35 dollar each tire compare 100 for name brand tire. The road noise is high but it is very durable. I got almost 50k miles on a 40k mile tire and still have useful life on them. For people with value in mind, Primewell is the choice. However, congress put extra tariff on these tires because domestic tire can't compete at this price. Now it is about 65 dollars each for my car. Still if you don't want to spend more on tire and if you want to sell you car, a low budget tire is a wise decision.

For 65 bucks you can get a good brand name tire for a Camry. Uniroyal for example, made by Michelin. Bleep the Chinese, they're bleeping us.

Sam's Club is now selling BFG "Touring" tires which are obviously relabeled Michelins. Good wear and good "stick". Typical Michelin "non-agressive" tread pattern. Bought two for a Camry, neither needed the half pound of tape weight the "old" BFGs sometimes took.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Originally Posted By: HerrStig

For 65 bucks you can get a good brand name tire for a Camry. Uniroyal for example, made by Michelin. Bleep the Chinese, they're bleeping us.

Any Uniroyals I've seen lately here are made in bleeping China... so I guess we're bleeped.

You've seen Uniroyals?

Haven't even noticed those at the Indy shops...

I have a set of Primewell Valeras that are wearing really well, better than the Radar tires I got at Sears. I haven't noticed any issues with noise or handling. While I realize you get what you pay for, I've never really had any issues with "store brand" tires, in fact, some of them have performed very well.

I saw an ambulance with motor running and no one around. I noticed the nice looking Primewell tires. Lots of rubber and round (compare with my bald BFG, they worn out too quickly). I have never heard of this tire. I Google it and found this website. I wish I could talk to the driver to get an opinion. This is near San Jose, California, or mild weather whole year round.

So you guys think that a national chain like Firestone would sell unsafe tires?

They might not last the longest but they aren't going to sell something that is going to blow up on you for no reason.

So is a set of bald worn out tires safer than a set of new primewells?

Walmart, Firestone, Discount Tire, they all have their private label brand tires.

If you buy a tire from a major chain, I wouldn't worry about it.

The only ones I would worry about this those really weird brands from the internet.

I don't see the advantage of ordering tires from the internet anyway, who is going to mount them? Who is going to warranty them?

Unless you drive a race car and need a special tire, or a dirt mudder, stick with a local store for your tires.

I'm starting to come around to the Chinese tires. There are a few tire shops that push tires like Westlake, Primewell, Starfire (Well that's a private label Cooper). There's a local dealer chain (Drivers Village) that outfits nearly all of their used cars with Fuzion touring tires.

When I called about finding replacements for my lifeliner GLS tires that got slashed, they suggested the Chinese tires and said they were a great bargain.

The Westlake HP010 tires are rated for more miles than my Lifeliner GLS. I ended up buying a replacement set online so I could have matching ones.

Tire reviews are always pretty negative for everything. "These tires are junk because the inside wore on my independent rear suspension SUV that I used to tow heavy loads and haul my family around". I really couldn't find any bad reviews about sidewalls cracking, random blowouts, poor treadlife. They seem to be legitimate tires.

I'd rather have people riding around on brand new Chinese tires in a snow storm than have them driving around on bald Michelins and sliding into me.

Originally Posted By: JustinH

. . . the Firestone 500?

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
FORTY YEARS AGO!

. . . Firestone Wilderness AT, ATX, ATX II?

. . . 40 years ago?
. . . 14 years ago?

No, they would never do that.

You get what you pay for. I think everyone will have their idea of what "unsafe" means. Do I think a set of four Primewells will necessarily all explode a month down the road? Probably not. Do I think there are better performing tires that can be had, and from the very same Firestone dealer? And by "better performing", I mean things like "stops faster", "corners better", "lasts longer", "maintains performance as the tread depth wears down", etc.

My position on tires like Primewells and other similar "no name" brands is that you save money up front but the average TCO is higher. I'd rather spend $800 on a set of tires that will get me through 70,000 miles (and perform well all the way through) than $500 on a set of tires that might get me through 40,000 or 50,000 miles (and performance is rubbish halfway through).

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
FORTY YEARS AGO!

That wasn't Firestone. That was Ford not telling people "too bad" when they complained that their full frame, solid rear axle, leaf sprung TRUCK based SUV rode like a TRUCK. Instead they told people to deflate the tires to a dangerous amount.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
FORTY YEARS AGO!

...was 2% Firestone, 2% Ford, and 96% owner stupidity!

All that means is that Ford gave more money to NHTSA to cover it up.

It's pretty obvious what happened. People would deflate their tires to 26PSI and they would leak down to 15 or 20. Then they would load the family up , load the SUV up to the roof then run 85 down a highway on a hot day. No tire is going to hold up to those conditions.

If the tires were run at a safe 35PSI, this never would have happened.

Unfortunately, we now have asinine TPMS systems required by law.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back