Hostages being held in Sydney

Status
Not open for further replies.
NHHEMI and I do not agree on oil but we DO see eye to eye on this issue. The lamest argument in the whole world is trying to link Muslim Extremists with Catholic Crusaders. Brought to you buy the "Bush did it" crowd, always trying to denigrate Christianity any way they can.

Excuse me, but none of those Catholics are here now. But the extremists are. And they want to kill us, period.

It's a real threat, as Australia proved. Right here, in America.

These folks are buying groceries at Publix with us today, and planning fun stuff for later. When it's your bank or restaurant getting blown up or your relatives being beheaded I bet the flower children change their tune...

If they were still doing that, your arguement would be relevant. But they are not and would not be allowed to today.

This argument makes as much sense as when my kids say, "but he/she did it first."

It's a childish argument. If a behavior is unacceptable, it's not made acceptable because someone else did it yesterday or hundreds of years ago.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: aa1986
Still waiting for proof to the claim that the "large majority" or the world's 1.6 billion muslims are willing to convert everybody else to Islam using the sword if necessary.

Does it matter if its a large majority or 1000 or 15? These fanatical Islamist need to be killed, plain and simple. There is no other answer. Almost sounds like you are defending them.

What's your view of those fanatical Christians that led the inquisition? How many were killed then?
I'll bet that for every fanatical Islamist there is at least 1 fanatical Christian,and a fanatical Jew.
In fact if we want to get to the truth of the matter my guess is Catholicism has killed more "infidels" than any other religion next to Hitler's extermination of the Jews so please spare me the nonsense that Islam is in any way different than any other religion when it comes right down to it.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
It's not about political correctness, it's about hysteria, and how the media and gullible citizens readily paint a picture of the world totally out of proportion with the risks and effectively help terrorists succeed and enable the politicians and security apparatus to erode our civil liberties.

Still waiting for proof to the claim that the "large majority" or the world's 1.6 billion muslims are willing to convert everybody else to Islam using the sword if necessary.

Not going to get into a pee'ing contest with you on this. If you don't think that is a pretty good description of how most Muslims act and think, and more importantly, what they are taught by a LOT of their religious leaders then I feel for you. Is it a pure interpretation of their religion? No. Is it how the radical Imam's(sp? ), clerics, or whatever they are called teach them? YUP! They want their religion( Islam )to overtake the world and they will stop at nothing to achieve that even if it includes killing those who are non-believers. Just how it is.

So people who have seen what these terrorists will do( remember 9/11, the USS Cole, Benghazi, and on and on ), see them by the tens of thousands in the streets burning flags of other countries( usually US )on TV as they call for the deaths of those people, see the atrocities they commit against their own people, and so on are all gullible because we see that group on the whole as violent and dangerous? Wow!

For the record I have no personal animosity toward their religion. I am all for live and let live. I don't care what some guy in the desert thinks about his or my god( actually they are the same one in Islam and Christianity but I hope you get my point ). However, too many Muslims do not feel the same. Even if they don't want to convert non-believers they commit these horrible acts in the name of their religion so in effect it amounts to the same thing. Convert them or kill them the feelings behind are the same. They are good and we are evil. Period.

I will not apologize for thinking it is a violent religion( as practiced not as written )full of evil people bent on destroying me, my way of life/country, and my religion. I have seen too many of them try. If you don't see it that way I guess that is your right. 9/11 forever changed my tolerance for radical Islamists.

So if you *believe* it's a large majority, you're ok with killing them all? Over 1 billion people?

I am not for genocide under any circumstance. However, with that said, at some point if the peaceful Muslims will not stand up and stop the ones doing these evil things we( as in the rest of the world they go after )will have to. IF you think the majority of Muslims are peaceful and not full of hate for other religions and peoples then they should be able to stop it. I actually believe there are more that hate than want peace which makes it impossible for the peaceful ones to do anything.

I never want to see a plane fly into a building killing thousands of innocent people again. I am tired of terrorists attacks against our embassies and other properties. I am tired of suicide attacks on our military. I am tired of people like the guy in Australia committing violent acts in the name of that religion and/or groups associated with it like Al-Qaeda or ISIS. Just sick of it.

If the Muslims themselves won't stop it then we have to and maybe at any cost. IF it comes down to us vs. them I choose us.

I don't get the logic of why it is up to All muslims to stop extremist muslims.

This is like saying it is up to all iraq vets to stop vets with ptsd from killing their families. Or it is up to all gun owners to stop criminal gun owners from committing crimes.

Now, I do think it is up to the rulers of Saudi Arabia to effectively stop teaching hate as the school curriculum which leads to the problem you are talking about in some parts of the muslim world. In which case I think it is up to our leaders to stop being so friendly with that country.

But if you want to refer to all muslims as responsible in this, then not only are you being grossly unfair to millions of muslims, you've not been intellectually curious enough to understand the problem you're trying to solve.

It's not about political correctness, it's about hysteria, and how the media and gullible citizens readily paint a picture of the world totally out of proportion with the risks and effectively help terrorists succeed and enable the politicians and security apparatus to erode our civil liberties.

Not going to get into a pee'ing contest with you on this. If you don't think that is a pretty good description of how most Muslims act and think, and more importantly, what they are taught by a LOT of their religious leaders then I feel for you. Is it a pure interpretation of their religion? No. Is it how the radical Imam's(sp? ), clerics, or whatever they are called teach them? YUP! They want their religion( Islam )to overtake the world and they will stop at nothing to achieve that even if it includes killing those who are non-believers. Just how it is.

So people who have seen what these terrorists will do( remember 9/11, the USS Cole, Benghazi, and on and on ), see them by the tens of thousands in the streets burning flags of other countries( usually US )on TV as they call for the deaths of those people, see the atrocities they commit against their own people, and so on are all gullible because we see that group on the whole as violent and dangerous? Wow!

For the record I have no personal animosity toward their religion. I am all for live and let live. I don't care what some guy in the desert thinks about his or my god( actually they are the same one in Islam and Christianity but I hope you get my point ). However, too many Muslims do not feel the same. Even if they don't want to convert non-believers they commit these horrible acts in the name of their religion so in effect it amounts to the same thing. Convert them or kill them the feelings behind are the same. They are good and we are evil. Period.

I will not apologize for thinking it is a violent religion( as practiced not as written )full of evil people bent on destroying me, my way of life/country, and my religion. I have seen too many of them try. If you don't see it that way I guess that is your right. 9/11 forever changed my tolerance for radical Islamists.

So if you *believe* it's a large majority, you're ok with killing them all? Over 1 billion people?

I am not for genocide under any circumstance. However, with that said, at some point if the peaceful Muslims will not stand up and stop the ones doing these evil things we( as in the rest of the world they go after )will have to. IF you think the majority of Muslims are peaceful and not full of hate for other religions and peoples then they should be able to stop it. I actually believe there are more that hate than want peace which makes it impossible for the peaceful ones to do anything.

I never want to see a plane fly into a building killing thousands of innocent people again. I am tired of terrorists attacks against our embassies and other properties. I am tired of suicide attacks on our military. I am tired of people like the guy in Australia committing violent acts in the name of that religion and/or groups associated with it like Al-Qaeda or ISIS. Just sick of it.

If the Muslims themselves won't stop it then we have to and maybe at any cost. IF it comes down to us vs. them I choose us.

This is like saying it is up to all iraq vets to stop vets with ptsd from killing their families. Or it is up to all gun owners to stop criminal gun owners from committing crimes.

Now, I do think it is up to the rulers of Saudi Arabia to effectively stop teaching hate as the school curriculum which leads to the problem you are talking about in some parts of the muslim world. In which case I think it is up to our leaders to stop being so friendly with that country.

But if you want to refer to all muslims as responsible in this, then not only are you being grossly unfair to millions of muslims, you've not been intellectually curious enough to understand the problem you're trying to solve.

I don't understand you at all unless you are a Muslim and are just offended at any negative comments about them? YES, I do believe it is up to the Muslims to stop the other Muslims doing this or at least try which I do not see happening. They should want to, if as you say, most of those 1.6 Billion are not terrorists, don't hate the rest of the world, etc... It is their mess to clean up 1st as it reflects very badly on them. These acts are being committed in the name of their religion. It is not the same as Army Vets with PTSD. Good lord.

So, let me get this straight. I am wrong if I expect Muslims to deal with other Muslims committing despicable acts in the name of their religion. That is wrong of me. I am also wrong if I talk about the world that is being targeted by these attacks stopping it because I am blaming/targeting innocent Muslims who had nothing to do with the violence. Seems to me I can't win and you don't think anyone has the right to stop these things from happening. This almost reminds me of some twisted political argument.

You seem to advocate letting it continue because not all Muslims are bad. TO me that is bull. Not all white people were racists and slave owners but a war was fought, in part, to free black people from bondage by whites in this country. White people marched with MLK in the 60's. Good white people spoke up and stood against those of their race who wanted Black people to remain slaves or 2nd class citizens. I don't see many Muslims speaking out against these acts. IF you can't see what I am saying then you don't want to.

Comparing asking Vets with PTSD to stop other Vets with PTSD from committing violent acts, to me wanting Muslims to stop the violence being committed by other Muslims in the name of their religion around the world, is just insane and has no comparable values. However, for the record, there are Vets that try and help other Vets deal with the traumas of war, our government provides resources to help, the private sector helps, and so on. Our country, and those Vets, don't sit by and ignore it or applaud it.

I also want to comment on those who bring up long past history such as the Crusades to somehow justify Muslim acts today. That is also insane. There is no one alive today that took part on either side in the Crusades. Don't use something done centuries ago to justify atrocities being committed today.

Last edited:
. I don't see many Muslims speaking out against these acts. IF you can't see what I am saying then you don't want to........

I also want to comment on those who bring up long past history such as the Crusades to somehow justify Muslim acts today. That is also insane. There is no one alive today that took part on either side in the Crusades. Don't use something done centuries ago to justify atrocities being committed today.

This is my last comment involving religion, as it is really a polarizing topic.

- Regarding your first quote above, you are being a bit hypocritical because there are links all over the media of Muslims denouncing the Australian incident: https://www.google.com/search?q=australi...emn&spell=1 (The Pakistan slaughter even more so)

"Within hours of the incident, however, a coalition of 50 Muslim organizations quickly released a statement condemning the militant’s actions and urging their fellow Australians not to conflate the attack with all of Islam......“[We] condemn this criminal act unequivocally and reiterate that such actions are denounced in part and in whole in Islam.” In addition, other religious groups have gathered to decry the gunman and express solidarity with the Australian Muslim community. Faith leaders from Muslim, Jewish, and Christian traditions have convened joint prayer vigils at mosques across the country to pray for the hostages and call for peace."

- And to address your second comment regarding the idea of referencing Christian atrocities to "justify" the current Muslim atrocities: I don't condone the terrorist acts of any religion. The Christian lead Rwandan genocide of some 800,000 people in 1994 is relatively recent and equally despicable as today's massacres: death to women, children, and innocents by machete...... Some of us bring this up to counter the hypocritical stance of some that seem to think that we and our past are above what's happening now. I am not saying because we did these atrocities I condone today's atrocities. Please understand that. The violence of the past didn't work and "wiping out every Muslim" won't work either. Maybe we should try to avoid repeating history based on what we learned from the past. Humans have been defective forever, so I am not optimistic that we will ever change.

Last edited:
Picture this...an american couple is sight seeing in the middle of Mecca, he's wearing shorts a tank top, flip flops, ball cap turned around backwards, shes wearing shorts, a sleeveless T shirt, sunglasses flip flops walking through the city taking pictures and doing 'touristy' things. Do you think this couple will 'A' continue they're vacation and come back home and tell they're friends and family how nice it was to spend a week in the "holiest" of Islams cities...or...."B" do you think this couple will be beaten, tortured, or stoned to death within minutes after being seen by the Islamic population? A simple A or B will suffice...however you may add comments if so inclined.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
Picture this...an american couple is sight seeing in the middle of Mecca, he's wearing shorts a tank top, flip flops, ball cap turned around backwards, shes wearing shorts, a sleeveless T shirt, sunglasses flip flops walking through the city taking pictures and doing 'touristy' things. Do you think this couple will 'A' continue they're vacation and come back home and tell they're friends and family how nice it was to spend a week in the "holiest" of Islams cities...or...."B" do you think this couple will be beaten, tortured, or stoned to death within minutes after being seen by the Islamic population? A simple A or B will suffice...however you may add comments if so inclined.

Either someone would help them out and inform them that the local hot heads will give them trouble, or they will have some trouble!
Being offensive to the local cultural norms will get you into trouble when travelling almost anywhere though. You push the locals buttons at your own peril.
Wear a KKK suit in the "hood" and see what happens, or be a black guy and chant some black power stuff in a white trash trailer park in the south somewhere... What do you think will happen? Someone will probably try to help you get out of there before the local hot heads will give you trouble. If you insist on being an idiot, then you will find trouble almost anywhere.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Wear a KKK suit in the "hood" and see what happens, or be a black guy and chant some black power stuff in a white trash trailer park in the south somewhere... What do you think will happen?

You don't really equate such behavior with people just walking around minding their own business, do you?

It's pretty simple. They have more credibility with other Muslims than any other group.

Over simplified example. If some random stranger tells you to straighten up and fly right, other than a few old guys here, most folks would flip the bird to the random stranger and say mind your own business.

Now if your mother or father, or best friend said the same thing, you probably would respect them or at least hear them out.

It's the same principle. Those joining ISIS are not going to listen to even the wisest of BITOG commenters or any other words of wisdom. We simply don't have the needed credibility to be taken seriously, even if we are 100% correct in the facts presented.

Change has to come from within. Therefore, the solution to this is not from outside the community, but inside the Muslim community.

Besides, if you look at history, long before the West stuck it's nose into their business, they were doing a pretty good job of killing one another.

They are occassionally united to fight against the West, Christianity, Jews or whatever enemy du jour.

So why do any Western nations think they can resolve something that even those on the inside have not seen fit to resolve?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Watch the appropriate TopGear program which was recorded in southern USA.

What a great point!

Picture this, A self proclaimed Islamic prophet in Sydney, Australia is alleged to have taken part in a molestation, rape and murder and writes hateful disturbing letters to family members of veterans who have been killed in battle, and is shown walking the streets of Sydney, protesting, while out of jail on bail. After being in court last Friday, 2 days later holds people hostage for 16 hours and 2 innocents die and the Muslim is also killed in the ensuing gun battle. Hence the relation to the difference of the tolerance level between Muslim and Christians from my last post. We crazy Christian, Capitalist nations, it seems we will never learn...! Stay out of the middle east, they do a good job of killing themselves without our help.

I don't understand you at all unless you are a Muslim and are just offended at any negative comments about them? YES, I do believe it is up to the Muslims to stop the other Muslims doing this or at least try which I do not see happening. They should want to, if as you say, most of those 1.6 Billion are not terrorists, don't hate the rest of the world, etc... It is their mess to clean up 1st as it reflects very badly on them. These acts are being committed in the name of their religion. It is not the same as Army Vets with PTSD. Good lord.

So, let me get this straight. I am wrong if I expect Muslims to deal with other Muslims committing despicable acts in the name of their religion. That is wrong of me. I am also wrong if I talk about the world that is being targeted by these attacks stopping it because I am blaming/targeting innocent Muslims who had nothing to do with the violence. Seems to me I can't win and you don't think anyone has the right to stop these things from happening. This almost reminds me of some twisted political argument.

You seem to advocate letting it continue because not all Muslims are bad. TO me that is bull. Not all white people were racists and slave owners but a war was fought, in part, to free black people from bondage by whites in this country. White people marched with MLK in the 60's. Good white people spoke up and stood against those of their race who wanted Black people to remain slaves or 2nd class citizens. I don't see many Muslims speaking out against these acts. IF you can't see what I am saying then you don't want to.

Comparing asking Vets with PTSD to stop other Vets with PTSD from committing violent acts, to me wanting Muslims to stop the violence being committed by other Muslims in the name of their religion around the world, is just insane and has no comparable values. However, for the record, there are Vets that try and help other Vets deal with the traumas of war, our government provides resources to help, the private sector helps, and so on. Our country, and those Vets, don't sit by and ignore it or applaud it.

Hold on.

I don't think you realize what you're saying comes off as illogical. Perhaps what you mean is different to what you type?

Firstly, you and another poster say that the vast majority of the world's 1.6 billion muslims want to convert or kill everyone else.

So the first problem with you wanting Muslims to stop extremist Muslims is that if you anyhow believe they are not against the extremists, then why would you expect them to be able to stop them?

Secondly, there is a huge problem in simplifying the problem to "Muslims". When there are terrorist attacks in the US, UK and now Australia, committed by disturbed individuals with no meaningful connection to a terrorist organization, you and others jump up and see it as a Muslim problem.

These incidents are no more the responsibility of "Muslims" to stop than anyone else. In Australia for example, the government granted asylum, did not / could not extradite him back to Iran for fraud charges there, released him on bail, did not put him on the watchlist after his conviction for sending letters. What could Muslims have done to stop him? They have no legal authority, no security service, no place to detain him and interrogate him, or do you suggest they do.

Now, where I do agree that Muslims have responsibility is as follows:

1) Within western countries, religious places should not be places for recruitment or any activity that threatens that country or creates conflict in other countries. In those places, the senior muslim leaders should be aware of what is going on and notify the authorities.

Guess what, in the US, not a single incident can be traced back to a mosque. They do keep an eye on what is going on. But watch the Newburgh Sting on HBO and you will see how that is not reciprocated by the FBI.

But other western countries have been too lax about this.

2) In some Muslim countries, notably Saudi Arabia and Pakistan, there is direct responsibility for creating the problem of extremism.

But what influence can the average Muslim in America or Indonesia possibly have on that? And why do you not realize that when you lump all Muslims together for the extremist problem, you are condemning hundreds of millions of innocents? The CIA has been detaining, interrogating and torturing terrorists for over a decade and it turns out that a significant proportion of them were innocent. And they were supposedly acting on and with Intelligence!

Do you not see the bad things that happen when you group people together? Have you not read about the internment of the Japanese during WW2?

Hold on.

I don't think you realize what you're saying comes off as illogical. Perhaps what you mean is different to what you type?

Firstly, you and another poster say that the vast majority of the world's 1.6 billion muslims want to convert or kill everyone else.

So the first problem with you wanting Muslims to stop extremist Muslims is that if you anyhow believe they are not against the extremists, then why would you expect them to be able to stop them?

Secondly, there is a huge problem in simplifying the problem to "Muslims". When there are terrorist attacks in the US, UK and now Australia, committed by disturbed individuals with no meaningful connection to a terrorist organization, you and others jump up and see it as a Muslim problem.

These incidents are no more the responsibility of "Muslims" to stop than anyone else. In Australia for example, the government granted asylum, did not / could not extradite him back to Iran for fraud charges there, released him on bail, did not put him on the watchlist after his conviction for sending letters. What could Muslims have done to stop him? They have no legal authority, no security service, no place to detain him and interrogate him, or do you suggest they do.

Now, where I do agree that Muslims have responsibility is as follows:

1) Within western countries, religious places should not be places for recruitment or any activity that threatens that country or creates conflict in other countries. In those places, the senior muslim leaders should be aware of what is going on and notify the authorities.

Guess what, in the US, not a single incident can be traced back to a mosque. They do keep an eye on what is going on. But watch the Newburgh Sting on HBO and you will see how that is not reciprocated by the FBI.

But other western countries have been too lax about this.

2) In some Muslim countries, notably Saudi Arabia and Pakistan, there is direct responsibility for creating the problem of extremism.

But what influence can the average Muslim in America or Indonesia possibly have on that? And why do you not realize that when you lump all Muslims together for the extremist problem, you are condemning hundreds of millions of innocents? The CIA has been detaining, interrogating and torturing terrorists for over a decade and it turns out that a significant proportion of them were innocent. And they were supposedly acting on and with Intelligence!

Do you not see the bad things that happen when you group people together? Have you not read about the internment of the Japanese during WW2?

What I have said is reasoned, very logical, and well spoken( clear ). It just isn't to you for some reason? As I said before perhaps you are Muslim and will be offended and feel the need to defend your religion no matter what anyone says? That's fine though. You have a right to your opinion, and religion( I am not saying you are a Muslim - just curious as you seem to be extremely defensive on this ), whatever it may be.

I am not going to keep on arguing this though as we are on the line here of breaking site rules with religious/political posts. Also, it is clear we are so diametrically opposed on this that it serves no purpose to keep going back and forth.

The last word on this to you from me will be this. Let me repeat myself. The Muslim community on the whole needs to stand up to these folks and stop them. Silence is acceptance and/or support. While there is "some" speaking out against it there is very little outcry to stop it. If the Muslims won't do something about their own people committing these despicable acts, in the name of their religion, then the rest of the world that is the target of theses attacks will have to. It can't be allowed to continue and if innocents are harmed then so be it. That is why I want Muslims to stop this. I don't want innocent people hurt but I will be darned if it should be allowed to keep happening and the only way we stop it is with violence.

We are nearing the breaking point and extremely harsh reprisals are needed. For example. No more not blowing up Mosques(sp/) where we know terrorists are hiding and operating from because it might hurt innocent people or because of their religious significance. Those innocents KNOW who is there and it is the terrorists using them and the buildings as shields. Drop the bomb, blow the building, kill the bad guys, and let the blame fall on those who deserve it for any other damage/death = the terrorists. IT is time to strike, strike hard, strike often, strike anywhere, and strike without worrying about who/what else is damaged/killed.

Also, I never said it was all Muslims. That is something you have put in my mouth. I said "most". Last I checked the definition of most is not all. I also said there are Muslims who want peace. Please be accurate in what you attribute as my words.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas
Watch the appropriate TopGear program which was recorded in southern USA.

I hope you realize the gas station scene in that episode was staged for theatrical effect, and isn't what actually happens here. People don't call "the boys" to beat up gay people, black people, Muslim people, or any other kind of people. That was half a century ago. The South has changed a lot in that time. There are still plenty of ignorant and crazy people here, but it is nothing at all like what was depicted in that Top Gear episode.

Note that there haven't been any riots down here recently. Nor are the police here getting on the news for killing everyone who puts them a little on edge. In fact, the last national news story out of Alabama regarding the police was a white cop in Tarrant buying eggs for a poor black grandmother who had tried to shoplift them. Maybe in the more "civilized" North he would have just choked her to death.

The South has a lot of problems, and I have very love/hate feelings about the place, but I can't stand it when people turn their noses up and think Top Gear is reality.

What I have said is reasoned, very logical, and well spoken( clear ).

It can't be allowed to continue and if innocents are harmed then so be it. That is why I want Muslims to stop this. I don't want innocent people hurt but I will be darned if it should be allowed to keep happening and the only way we stop it is with violence.

We are nearing the breaking point and extremely harsh reprisals are needed.

IT is time to strike, strike hard, strike often, strike anywhere, and strike without worrying about who/what else is damaged/killed.

Also, I never said it was all Muslims. That is something you have put in my mouth. I said "most". Last I checked the definition of most is not all.

Please be accurate in what you attribute as my words.

OK, the above are your words.

It's a contradiction to say you don't want innocent people hurt but then say "strike anywhere, and strike without worrying about who/what else is damaged/killed".

And you've also reconfirmed that you are referring to "most" Muslims as the problem, of whom there are 1.6 billion in the world.

Since most means the majority, I take it that you feel that 0.8 billion+ Muslims are not innocent and therefore it would be ok for them to die.

Yes I can see what you mean when you said what you have said is reasoned and logical.

All terrorists seem to be muslim yet all muslims aren't terrorists. This has to be Bushes fault, It some how Started with Nixon and probably Carter especially. Was the perp breast fed? Then if so how long.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
It's pretty simple. They have more credibility with other Muslims than any other group.

Over simplified example. If some random stranger tells you to straighten up and fly right, other than a few old guys here, most folks would flip the bird to the random stranger and say mind your own business.

Now if your mother or father, or best friend said the same thing, you probably would respect them or at least hear them out.

It's the same principle. Those joining ISIS are not going to listen to even the wisest of BITOG commenters or any other words of wisdom. We simply don't have the needed credibility to be taken seriously, even if we are 100% correct in the facts presented.

Change has to come from within. Therefore, the solution to this is not from outside the community, but inside the Muslim community.

Besides, if you look at history, long before the West stuck it's nose into their business, they were doing a pretty good job of killing one another.

They are occassionally united to fight against the West, Christianity, Jews or whatever enemy du jour.

So why do any Western nations think they can resolve something that even those on the inside have not seen fit to resolve?

The muslims who have become the most extreme due to being indoctrinated with a literal interpretation of the religious text do not discriminate between muslims who believe differently and traditional infidels. So no they are not going to listen to other muslims and that is why most of the atrocities are and have taken place in the muslim world.

You are right to say we were naive to think we could change this by going to war and spreading democracy. In fact, the recent wars, and our multiple meddling before then, have only succeeded in giving the extremists evidence to help in their recruitment. And our involvement will always be misguided until we understand that problem stems from the way the religion is taught in Saudi Arabia and Pakistan and a few other countries.

And what has our part been in those countries? Saudi Arabia a close ally due to oil, and Pakistan a close ally during the cold war. And what are those countries like? Well Saudi Arabia is one of the most brutal countries amongst the Islamic world and Pakistan has often been a military dictatorship that fights with the largest democracy in the world, India. Just as we funded Bin Laden and helped Saddam with chemical weapons, we don't seem to make very good decisions when we meddle do we?

Another thing you mention was how muslims were killing each other before the west got involved with them. That's a very narrow reading of history. The west has meddled in the middle east for a century and during that time the west fought two world wars killing tens of millions of people and used nuclear weapons on civilians. These European wars drew in countries from around the world due to the fact that they were imperial territories.

But somehow you paint a picture that the muslims were anyhow uncivilized before we got involved with them, completely ignoring our own standard of civility.

If you live in a non western country, your history is of being invaded, occupied and run for the economic benefit of western countries, being involved in world wars that were not your making, and then facing continual meddling (on top of your own problems) during the cold war since you were pawns in the fight between the Soviet Union and the West.

Since then, we've supported Saudi Arabia due to their oil, despite them being a literal factory for extremists.

So yeah, everything that's ever happened to them is their own fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back