Honda issues stop sale on 2016 Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
who are they kidding? you cant see the piston pin snap ring from the plug hole. Piston rings are going to obstruct the view. Piston rings are supposed to seal the chamber! How does boroscope see the backside of the rings?

Quote:
All affected units will require use of a borescope to inspect the four cylinders to confirm correct piston pin snap ring placement.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
who are they kidding? you cant see the piston pin snap ring from the plug hole. Piston rings are going to obstruct the view. Piston rings are supposed to seal the chamber! How does boroscope see the backside of the rings?

Quote:
All affected units will require use of a borescope to inspect the four cylinders to confirm correct piston pin snap ring placement.

If they see a line on the wall, then they know it's a bad one?

If the snap ring is badly seated, I wonder how long it takes to pop out and leave a mark.

I wonder if worker #123 wasn't doing it right, and was eventually "caught" (malicious or not). Which would then be somewhat surprising that they can't nail it down to specific VIN #'s. Then again--maybe they don't want to think that this sort of thing could happen. Better to admit to a process issue than "we can't detect when an employee does it wrong".

Originally Posted By: KingCake
Honda being high quality is a bit of a myth. They've been plagued with engine/transmission/air condition compressor problems since the 80s.

Absolutely not so. According to www.truedelta.com, the various Honda models come out on top for real world reliability. Often times 4 to 5 times more reliable than a comparable GM product. A full order of magnitude more reliable than many VW products.

I encourage you to look for yourself.

this is why I've changed religions to the Church of the Blue Oval.

Anything it does is amazing. I've save thousands over the price of a VW (gf wanted a Rabbit)/ Corolla/ Civic. Gets comparable fuel economy.

Honda being high quality is a bit of a myth. They've been plagued with engine/transmission/air condition compressor problems since the 80s.

Ive both spoken against strongly, and now own two Hondas (we owned an Acura before).

There are issues. The engine is wonderful, plastic parts horrid, other stuff "depends" (this was our acura).

Their finished package is designed consistently, nicely and they fit the right cross section of performance, quality, feel and design.

Time will tell with our two new Hondas. We have been very pleased so far.

Problem is, things pop up in some way or another with any car from any manufacturer.

Does Honda have issues? Yes. Does Toyota? yes. Daimler? Yup, etc., etc.

Interesting how things stack up...

jd-power-2015-iqs-rank-1_large.jpg

Yeah, Honda isn't that great in this initial quality survey. BMW is surprisingly higher than Id think. VW is low though ours was a gem. Long run for any, and the costs in the long run?

I guess we have improved averages on all the cars we have made. Havent seen the number of expected issues on any of our cars...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Ive both spoken against strongly, and now own two Hondas (we owned an Acura before).

There are issues. The engine is wonderful, plastic parts horrid, other stuff "depends" (this was our acura).

Their finished package is designed consistently, nicely and they fit the right cross section of performance, quality, feel and design.

Problem is, things pop up in some way or another with any car from any manufacturer.

Yeah, Honda isn't that great in this initial quality survey. BMW is surprisingly higher than Id think. VW is low though ours was a gem. Long run for any, and the costs in the long run?

I guess we have improved averages on all the cars we have made. Havent seen the number of expected issues on any of our cars...

The gap between Ram and Chrysler is nothing short of astounding.

Originally Posted By: sir1900
The all-new 2016 Honda Civic just hit the dealer lots and already it’s having problems. Late last week Honda announced a stop-sale order on new Civics with the 2.0-liter engine “due to potentially missing or misset piston pin snap rings that may cause engine stall or failure.”

Read more here .

I called Honda Customer Service yesterday evening.
Luckily my 2016 Civic 2.0 - per it's vin # , is not affected by the recall.

Last edited:
Its just a little engine failure, no bug deal. Its not like they cheated on nox emissions!

Jokes aside i really like Honda reliability. Sure you have some sporatic issues but overall its very good and they make stuff right with owners.

It's a global market now. For better AND worse, All makes and models- transmission built here, engines built there etc.

Kia ranks up real high, I still wouldn't buy one though.
27.gif
I take those reports, and consumer reports with a grain of salt to be honest with you.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Our 08 CRV has been great. All four door lock actuators were replaced by me. The heater quit working and replaced the controler. AC went out but luckily I replaced the relays with updated ones and two years later it hasn't given us any issues.

I have to ask how that is great? Not trying to be a D-bag, but if I had had to do that stuff on any of my GMs I wouldn't hear the end of it here.
I have 3 GM cars that are over 12 years old. I have replaced one door lock in the Grand Prix. No relays, no heaters. Seems odd to me what people consider good and bad based off what they purchase or like.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
that initial quality has little to do with long run imo.

+1

Most BMWs and Audis are fine the first year of ownership. I doubt many of us would want to OWN a 2015 BMW or Audi outside of warranty though. Also, the German makes tend to call the frequent replacement of problem parts "maintenance".

You also have to take into account the number of vehicles out there. The survey measures the amount of problems per 100 vehicles. There are a ton more Hondas out there than Porsche, Audi, BMW and Mercedes-Benz vehicles.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Also, the German makes tend to call the frequent replacement of problem parts "maintenance".

By the same token, I find the Japanese manufacturers have gone way too far the other direction and claim basically nothing as "maintenance". Replacing worn out suspension bushings, etc. is maintenance, but it seems like that stuff is all kind of ignored on the Japanese cars unless it's causing an obvious problem to the car's use.

I could pretty much guarantee that if you took a dealer maintained 10 year old, 150k mile Civic and BMW 3 series and went over each with a fine tooth comb, the Civic would have far more worn parts in need of replacement, while the BMW owner is the one whining about how their car is so expensive to maintain.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Try owning a VW!

I wouldn't wish one on an enemy.

If your going to put up with VW group [censored] at least buy a real German car that is at least nice when its working...like a Porsche.

It's been a bit of a letdown. Starts and runs every time.
whistle.gif

Which is good, because it took 7 weeks to get a replacement passenger side sun visor. Don't even want to know what would happen if it needed some serious parts.

Last time I was there, I heard the parts guy say "Let me check Germany....." at least 3 times to three different customers.

I spend most of my time avoiding looking at the "History of Porsche" calendar. I'm always tempted to ask about Porsche history from 1939-1945.
wink.gif

tigerp-1-copyright-unknown.jpg

They built a tank with an interesting yet [censored] drive system!

Fun fact the early Tiger 1 turrets all had those little cut outs up front, because Porsche was so sure that they were going to get the contract for the tank.

Last edited:

Don't forget things like the "infotainment system" can count in the initial quality survey.

Originally Posted By: CKN

Don't forget things like the "infotainment system" can count in the initial quality survey.

Very true. In fact, I recall reading when we bought our van that the infotainment was the root cause of the issues that caused a worse score. Personally, we've found the Honda system extremely easy to pair to and use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back