Honda issues stop sale on 2016 Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: KingCake
Honda being high quality is a bit of a myth. They've been plagued with engine/transmission/air condition compressor problems since the 80s.

I have had decent luck with 3 Honda/Acura built in USA with model years 92,96(first year) and 2007(first year). Maybe a matter of bad luck getting the sour apples every car maker has.

At least they caught early.

I imagine that it is very difficult for manufacturers to keep adding all of today's bells and whistles while at the same time try to keep the vehicles affordable. The bean counters are forced to shave everywhere they can. We are now in an adjustment phase of lots of goodies on even the most basic car at the cost diminished reliability.

Just think of all the technology that is on today's cars: several computers, TPIM, ABS, airbags galore, traction control, drive by wire, back up cameras and other sensors, infotainment and other creature comforts, and on and on. Remember when electric windows were a luxury?

Originally Posted By: FowVay
This issue is in regard to missing wrist pin retainer clips. That's a huge faux pas. How they intend to borescope this particular area is beyond me. I guess they can just look into the cylinder through the plug hole and check for wear on the cylinder wall or pull the oil pan and look for debris.

This is not a good reflection on Honda. Improperly assembled or negligent assembly shows a lack of quality control at their facility. Hopefully this was a very short run for them and they know which serial numbers are affected.

Ahh, just let the ricers rev em to 7K in 2nd gear doing their Fast and Furious, got Vtec yo, immitation. If it doesnt fall apart the prisoner making the engine installed the circlip, if it fails, replace the engine or buy back the car.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
The problem is that the vendors are NOT doing their jobs right, I can tell you from personal experience that contract temporary workers (which no doubt were involved in the production of the engine) don't give a fiddlers [censored] about the jobs they do, even critical ones such as this, and many of them are completely incapable of doing the jobs they have in a remotely competent manner.... the automotive industry is facing SERIOUS issues if they continue to cuts costs to the bone, as you can see, the results are now reversing the long trend of increasing reliability. Honda is NOT immune to the stupid foibles of the idiot MBAs that decide such things.

Within a 90 minute drive from here, Honda has 2 assembly plants, an engine plant, and a transmission plant, along with many suppliers owned and run by unrelated (wink wink) Japanese companies. ALL of them hire through temp services. Starting around $9/hr, no benefits. They all promise if you make it to 2 years, you'll be hired on as a regular employee. But every person I've known who has worked there, gets mysteriously let go at least a couple months shy... With more suckers lining up for their jobs...

Also, Honda in the 35 or so years they have been operating in OH, haven't paid one cent in property taxes. They have made it quite clear, that if their abatement goes away, so will they...
But GM and Chrysler paid EVERYTHING they owed, to everybody, right?

My kid's 2009 Civic has 105k on it and it runs like new. She got what I call a "good one". So I tell her to keep it until the body rots out.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Originally Posted By: KingCake
Honda being high quality is a bit of a myth. They've been plagued with engine/transmission/air condition compressor problems since the 80s.

+1

+2

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
It always takes 3 years for Honda to work out the bugs on a new car !!!!

The 2.0 liter engine is a carry-over, so I don't think the new-car issue is to blame.

And heck, even if it takes 3 years it beats Ford's record with the Focus/Fiesta dual-clutch-transmission: 5 years of production and problems are still prevalent. I'll take my chances with Honda.

I don't really care about the motor, its simply a manufacture screw up which will be fixed.

Aside from that the new Civic is ugly and looks like a Nissan.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Our 08 CRV has been great. All four door lock actuators were replaced by me. The heater quit working and replaced the controler. AC went out but luckily I replaced the relays with updated ones and two years later it hasn't given us any issues.

You got very lucky if you dodged the "black death" on a CRV.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Honda vehicles designed/engineered/tested/manufactured in Japan seem to have better quality/reliability than the ones designed/engineered/tested/manufactured in US.

Same for other Japanese brands.

My parent's 2005 Sienna has been mostly trouble-free. It was designed in Orange County and made in Indiana. It only saw the dealer for 2 recalls and 1 warranty issue with the AC compressor. The Camry and Corolla seem to be fine cars regardless of final point of assembly - and Toyota made 2 models of the Camry, an "international" model and a wider US model.

Honda does little in Japan these days - they're now using their Ohio operations as their "brain trust" now, and they're manufacturing more in Thailand as well.

Well, as a generally happy long time Honda owner, I will be strongly rethinking any future Honda purchases. I'm pretty much set with cars for a long time...and my Ridgeline has been the most perfect, trouble free vehicle I've owned (thus far). I'm not real happy with my Fit, but that was my fault for not test driving for a much longer period of time. It rides like it has plastic wheels...kind of typical for many Honda cars.

This piston thing is a HUGE error on Honda's part. I am surprised that they don't have a more proactive quality assurance group. They probably do what many companies do now and allow the actual assembler to check their own work. Big mistake if that's the case.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
The problem is that the vendors are NOT doing their jobs right, I can tell you from personal experience that contract temporary workers (which no doubt were involved in the production of the engine) don't give a fiddlers [censored] about the jobs they do, even critical ones such as this, and many of them are completely incapable of doing the jobs they have in a remotely competent manner.... the automotive industry is facing SERIOUS issues if they continue to cuts costs to the bone, as you can see, the results are now reversing the long trend of increasing reliability. Honda is NOT immune to the stupid foibles of the idiot MBAs that decide such things.

Within a 90 minute drive from here, Honda has 2 assembly plants, an engine plant, and a transmission plant, along with many suppliers owned and run by unrelated (wink wink) Japanese companies. ALL of them hire through temp services. Starting around $9/hr, no benefits. They all promise if you make it to 2 years, you'll be hired on as a regular employee. But every person I've known who has worked there, gets mysteriously let go at least a couple months shy... With more suckers lining up for their jobs...

Also, Honda in the 35 or so years they have been operating in OH, haven't paid one cent in property taxes. They have made it quite clear, that if their abatement goes away, so will they...

That's pretty bad if all of what you say is factual. I did do a search of manufacturing job posting at Honda and yes, they seem to hire through temp agencies for basic starting positions. I don't know if that is normal for the industry.

To be fair about Honda in Ohio though, they have provided a lot of employment for people that otherwise might not be getting any valuable experience with other jobs. They have decent benefits as well and have given a lot to the local communities. Millions of dollars to charities as well as education programs.

Anyway....it sounds like Honda needs to get back on track and stop destroying a reputation that took decades to earn.

Honda has many issues, drive shafts, suspension bushings, exhaust, timing chains all on the better models..the 6cyl in my '10 Pilot was a thirsty disaster with that 6-4-3 gizmo.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Lol all of these issues sound like non-problems to me.

Try owning a VW!

If you own a VW you only have yourself to blame.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Our 08 CRV has been great. All four door lock actuators were replaced by me. The heater quit working and replaced the controler. AC went out but luckily I replaced the relays with updated ones and two years later it hasn't given us any issues.

You got very lucky if you dodged the "black death" on a CRV.

That plague lasted from 02 to 04... 05 and on should be good, ours has been good so far, of course at 10 years I guess a repair shouldn't be unexpected.

Try owning a VW!

I wouldn't wish one on an enemy.

If your going to put up with VW group [censored] at least buy a real German car that is at least nice when its working...like a Porsche.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

Try owning a VW!

I wouldn't wish one on an enemy.

If your going to put up with VW group [censored] at least buy a real German car that is at least nice when its working...like a Porsche.

It's been a bit of a letdown. Starts and runs every time.
whistle.gif

Which is good, because it took 7 weeks to get a replacement passenger side sun visor. Don't even want to know what would happen if it needed some serious parts.

Last time I was there, I heard the parts guy say "Let me check Germany....." at least 3 times to three different customers.

I spend most of my time avoiding looking at the "History of Porsche" calendar. I'm always tempted to ask about Porsche history from 1939-1945.
wink.gif

Service Bulletin
16-017
January 30, 2016 03188 Version 1
Safety Recall: Piston Pin Snap Ring

AFFECTED VEHICLES
Year - 2016
Model - Civic
Trim - ALL
VIN Range - Check the iN VIN status for eligibility

BACKGROUND
A small number of engines were produced with piston pin snap rings that may not be completely seated. If the snap ring is not completely seated it will come out allowing the piston pin to contact the cylinder wall which can damage the engine.

This bulletin will be revised once inspection, repair information, warranty claim information, part information and stock are available.

CUSTOMER INFORMATION: The information in this bulletin is intended for use only by skilled technicians who have the proper tools,
equipment, and training to correctly and safely maintain your vehicle. These procedures should not be attempted by “do-it-yourselfers,” and you
should not assume this bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle has the condition described. To determine whether this information
applies, contact an authorized Honda automobile dealer.
© 2016 American Honda Motor Co., Inc. – All Rights Reserved Page 1 of 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back