honda gx series engine dependability/lifespan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking about getting a Honda generator with a Honda gx390 engine on it. I know these are good motors but just curious as to how many hours they can handle and what kind of problems they have if any.

I hate when you are running a TV, lights, and a washer off of one and the thing starts v-Tec'ing in your backyard.

Drives the local dogs crazy.

smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bsmith717
Longer and more efficiently than just about any other motor in its class.

Doubtful than any other modern OHV engine in OPE with similar features. Hondas also have quite finicky carbs.

They are fine engines, but so are B&S, Kohler, etc. Even the Chonda clones can and do last quite a long while with good maintenance.

IMHO nearly everything Honda does is vastly overrated.

recently got a northstar generator from northern tool with a gx390. brand new it started on 2nd pull. ran for 1/2 hour and was stopped & re-started a few times. shipped it to new location and never re-started, bad ignition coil. ordered a new coil from napa and that also bad. getting motor warranty repaired now to get a new coil. it's a CDI coil so maybe there's a bad batch of them out there i don't know. the bad news is these coils are $60+. the good news is i was able to buy a non-cdi coil for the gx engines for $9 shipped, and that can be used with slight rewiring of the engine on/off switch. humoring myself with the replacement coil under warranty for now, but i have the backup non-cdi coil in case things go bad again. the other thing that was interesting is the whole warranty thing- northern only warranty's the northern tool part of the genset which is the generator head. on the phone i said the motor has less than an hour of run time and i know it's a bad ignition coil, they say oh that's a honda problem go to a honda shop for them to work on the motor. so i get a list of shops that sell/repair honda small engines, northstar never heard of them say they, did you buy it from us then a funny look. so then you have to explain how they are supposed to be able to repair any honda engine less than 2 years old with proof of purchase and get paid through honda, because they are a honda small engine dealer.

The Honda GX series are great engines and just a reliable as any other small engine when well maintained. Would I pay more for one over a similarly equipped Briggs and Stratton or Kohler? No.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back