Crazy dealer add on

I pump the brakes and have even turned on the flashers if there is something unordinary that makes cars stop quickly. A firetruck or ambulance comes to mine.

I wonder if possibly a previous owner installed it? Seems an odd item for a dealer to add. But they may have figured, hey, let's charge for it?
Nope, they add one to everything so they can mark it up $899. It’s a fairly common practice and a win-win for them. Either the customer is a rube and pays for it or they get to knock off the cost and claim they’re giving you a great deal.

So what if you told the stealer that you would take care of the documentation and fees with the DMV yourself?

So what if you told the stealer that you would take care of the documentation and fees with the DMV yourself?
Not gonna happen. The doc fee is standard across the industry. The states allow it as not subject to sales tax, but the dealership has to charge the same document fee on all sales. Still, you can tell the dealership they need to reduce the price by that much and see where it goes. The fact is, if they think they can get more from someone else, they will decline to see you the car.

Last new car I bought- honda accord, I guess the salesman caught my manner and did not try to upsell on anything (which I appreciated btw), doesn't mean I got a screaming deal tho. They just start to play those games and I don't waste my time or breath, leave that for people who are ignorant about product or are far more loaded than me.

Oh I forgot. When purchasing a new car if I see add on charges I don't like I flat out tell them I am not paying for that. They try and do their up sell and I just tell them no. I haven't lost buying a car yet. They always remove the charge

Don
You have the option to order your own vehicle. They come in differing models and differing equipment. Order from the factory - prior to any dealership attempted add-ons. Be sure to get an out-the-door price before signing to the deal and before surrendering a down payment.

There illegal. If the factory installed them they wouldn’t meet DOT specs. How they get away with it is beyond me. Surprised some decent attorney hasn’t sued these dealers for causing an accident.
I probably should have been a little clearer- I'm talking about the center mounted stoplights- those are the ones that flash, not ALL the brake lights. I haven't seen those yet.

I probably should have been a little clearer- I'm talking about the center mounted stoplights- those are the ones that flash, not ALL the brake lights. I haven't seen those yet.
Yes I understand. Still illegal per DOT.

Quote:

We confirm your interpretation. S5.5.10(a), (b), and (c) list the motor vehicle lamps that may flash when they are operated. No stop lamp is among the lamps listed. S5.5.10(d) requires all other lamps to be wired to be steady burning, thus including all stop lamps.

How are they any different than the Mustang sequential turn signals?
Different in that the brake flasher add-on is more of a strobe effect (and very annoying, particularly when it is behind a brake-pedal happy person who likes to tap their brakes in traffic every few seconds), whereas the Mustang sequential turn signals are not annoying and pleasant to view.

In terms of being illegal, i have seen them on a local town’s police Ford Explorer vehicles. Maybe they somehow don’t know about the law and/or they don’t realize it is a feature installed on their vehicles????

I will say, as a few others have already, that the flashing CHMSL upon braking is effective in grabbing attention. Been doing that for years by tapping the brakes when approaching traffic congestion.

Maine specifically allows brake flashers now, per the inspection manual. I'm not happy about it.

Back