Honda Civic R18 ATF Filter change....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll have to look around a bit and see what I can dig up (not much, I suspect.)

It looks like an Ebay seller is offering an OEM filter for ~$10 with free shipping.

Question: Does the bracket detach or is it a part of the OEM filter? Are there any distinguishing marks on the OEM filter that I can use to verify an Ebay filter against?

I really appreciate all of your help, btw!

That's way too small as far as capacity goes, unless it's designed to catch break in material and then go into bypass the rest of the filters life. I would replace with a magnefine very early If I had that installed.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
That's way too small as far as capacity goes, unless it's designed to catch break in material and then go into bypass the rest of the filters life. I would replace with a magnefine very early If I had that installed.

Honestly, I never really paid much attention to Magnefine, so this is new to me. I've spent the past few minutes looking around, and it seems like nothing but good reviews. It may be worth it to simply replace the OEM filter with a Magnefine.

One thing I can't figure out, is where to buy a genuine Magnefine filter. I see Raybestos Magnefine filters with good reviews and another one on Amazon labeled simply as a Magnefine with out any reviews. If I'm going to do this, I'd prefer to pay a little more and ensure it's not a knock off.

If I do, I'll definitely cut the OEM open and see what it looks like after 90k miles!

Last edited:
You do have to be careful. The genuine ones are labeled magnefine or raybestos if you peel the sticker iirc. The link above me from emrgenet looks legit, I've seen it posted before.

There is no question a true BITGOer should have a magnefine in place of that pathetic oem piece. If they bothered to put one on at all it should have been beefier. Honda bean counters at work here obviously. At 90k on a filter that small, I can imagine it would be caked and bypassing if it had one.

Honestly, if I didn't have the Magnefine filters sitting around, I would use the OEM over it. You know it has the correct specs, and if changed regularly, should work just fine. I plan on changing mine every 30k miles.....

I think 901 is right about the Honda filter. That's why nobody at the dealer level knows about it. It's only there for break-in. 75 % of the average tranny's contamination comes in the first 5K miles and if you catch that stuff, you have added a lot to the life of the trans even if you don't filter from that point on

The Magnefines have a 30K FCI and none I have ever seen or used in that range have been in bypass unless some special situation was involved. Even if the filter is in bypass, the magnet part is still in operation (read on).

The Magnefine has about 50 square inches of media (plus the magnet) and I doubt the Honda has more (and no magnet). When Ford tested the Magnefine in 1998-2001 (see also below) the bypass cracking pressure was 4.0psi and it took 6.92 grams of material to make that happen. According to E&K's (Eleftherakis and Khalil, two engineers that have written many SAE white papers on trans filtration based on testing thousands of automatics), the average transmission sheds approximately 0.043 mg/mile (4.3 mg/1000 mile or .43 grams/10,000 miles, or 1.29 grams/30,000 miles). Obviously, your car could exceed the averages (as it might during break-in) but the average E&K came up with is a lifetime average over 70K miles. The 30K Magnefine recommendation is a bit conservative then... IME.

The Honda doesn't have a magnet and though the Magnefine is about 95% @ 35 um, absolute at 40 um) the magnet catches 99% of the ferrous metal (which makes up 51% of the total contamination in the average trans) and continues to catch iron even if the filter part is in bypass.

In the '90s, the Magnefines went thru the Ford parts qualifications tests (it had a Ford part number) and passed with flying colors. I have copies of the tests and they did things I'd have never even thought of, including line creep of hose on the barbs. Burst pressure was tested at a range of temps from -40F to +335F and reached 600 psig (mfr rated them for 560 psig). I could go on and on. Other mfrs also tested the Magnefine (I have some of Chryler's test info), including Honda! There is a little Honda/Magnefine back story to this but I don't know if I am free to tell it, so I won't.

Again, the Magnefine would be my choice here but if you can't bring yourself to stray outside Honda, get the Honda filter. Either will virtually guarantee no trans issue due to contamination IME and should also extend ATF service life.

There's some neat info about the Magnefine and tranny/PS filters in this (mega-post) thread:

DIY – Add a Transmission Replaceable Inline Magnetic Filter
http://rdx.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803129

Also some interesting info waaay down in post #7:

"
REPORT (3): DEFECTIVE MAGNEFINE FILTERS – FROZEN BYPASS VALVE and LEAKING FILTER CANISTER TOP

Of the 5 (five) MagneFine inline filters that I have used, the first 2 were obviously defective ...

The first MagneFine filter that I used in the PS line, was removed after 1-year and 7800 miles. It was leaking from the seal on the screw-on top, and had a defective by-pass valve ...

The filter by-pass valve was glued closed, from the manufacturer ...

The second Power Steering replacement filter *also* leaked from the screw-on top ...

FORD MOTOR COMPANY NO LONGER USES the MAGNEFINE INLINE TRANSMISSION FILTERS:
Ford sells (or did sell) a re-labeled MagneFine filter, both as a kit for installation with a remanufactured transmission, and as a separate filter, for individual installation. The following is a partial quotation with my added emphasis, from

OASIS SPECIAL SERVICE MESSAGE NUMBER: 21035
OASIS MESSAGE : 2009-UP FORD/ LINCOLN/ MERCURY VEHICLES

INSTALLATION OF INLINE TRANSMISSION FLUID FILTER/ KIT IS NO LONGER REQUIRED WITH TRANSMISSION OVERHAUL OR REMAN TRANS ASSEMBLIES. ENGINEERING TESTS HAVE DETERMINED THE INLINE TRANSMISSION FLUID FILTER IS INEFFECTIVE AND WILL NO LONGER BE INCLUDED WITH REMAN TRANSMISSION ASSEMBLIES.

THE INSTALLATION OF THIS FILTER HAS SHOWN TO INCREASE THE POTENTIAL OF TRANSMISSION FLUID LEAKS AT THE INLINE FILTER CLAMP CONNECTIONS AND COMPROMISING THE INTEGRITY OF THE FLUID COOLER LINE AND THE INTERNAL INLINE FILTER BYPASS HAS BEEN SHOWN TO BE INEFFECTIVE.

LINK: Fords TSB Against Installing a Magnefine #2145470 - 01/20/1111:18 PM
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2145470
"

Originally Posted By: martinq
There's some neat info about the Magnefine and tranny/PS filters in this (mega-post) thread:

DIY – Add a Transmission Replaceable Inline Magnetic Filter
http://rdx.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803129

Also some interesting info waaay down in post #7:

Martin, the same guy who wrote that also found that many "magnefine" filters on the internet market are the now-notorious Chinese knockoffs, and some of the failures documented were fakes. You can see that followup from May here:

Counterfeit

"WARNING: various USA based ‘manufacturers’ like RAYBESTOS are selling Chinese KNOCKOFFs of the Australian MagneFine inline magnetic filter. These Chinese filters can fail (leak or the cap breaks off), and destroy your transmission from low ATF."

If you follow his other cited examples, some are bogus (the implausible tale of an overheating trans from some "Pappy" guy). Some of the seepage ones I can believe because in 2011/12 genuine Magnefines did have that problem, since cured. I had one myself... it was just a little wetness at the seam. MF sent me a replacement but I never got around to changing it. When I looked again, it had stopped leaking on it's own... go figure. Anyway, as many as they sell, thre are bound tobe failures. The (unverifiable) internet magnifies these.

As to Ford, yes they did stop using the Magnefines with their remain transmissions. Why? No longer necessary. The reason they started using them in the first place was because they had a high failure rate on their remain/warranty automatics due to built in contamination (some sources have stated a 40% failure rate). Part of that was the reman process and part of that was due to the difficulty to properly flush the coolers after a failure (or the difficulty of getting the "flatrater" techs to properly flush the coolers). The Magnefine was insurance that the junk left in the lines didn't kill the trans. It appears, however, that in some cases there was too much junk left that would plug the filter in short order. It goes into bypass and the remainder of the junk goes into the trans.

So, the "ineffective" word in the SBS is an unfortunate choice of words that implies something that isn't true. They are "effective" just overwhelmed. Also, the part you cited is incomplete. You left out a part that adds context:

"IF THE TRANSMISSION TURBO HEATED
COOLER LINE FLUSHER(OR EQUIVALENT)IS NOT UTILIZED, PLEASE FOLLOW THE RECOMMENDED
PROCEDURES IN THE APPROPRIATE VEHICLE WSM. FOLLOW SERVICE PROCEDURE IN SECTION
307-01 TRANSMISSION FLUID COOLER BACKFLUSHING AND CLEANING.

APPLICABLE SYMPTOM CODES :
500000 DRIVELINE
504000 DRIVELINE OTHER AUTO TRANS CONCERNS
590000 DRIVELINE PUBLICATION REVISIONS/UPDATES
890000 PUBLICATION CHANGES "

Here is part of the discussion we had in 2011 that fills in some blanks from a person that was a Ford insider:

Modular V8: "I believe that Ford has determined from their studies that transmission failures may lead to significant amounts of contaminants to reside in the fluid lines and trans cooler plates. The installation of a remanufactured transmission requires the removal of these contaminants. This makes the Magnefine or any other inline filter with a small load capacity "ineffective" in preventing these contaminants from entering the rebuilt transmission. A loaded up filter (in this case, the Magnefine ~ 4 RVOP) will go into bypass too soon which makes the filter "ineffective" at preventing contamination of the "new" transmission. Also, Ford wants to minimize any warranty issues and the installation of the inline filter in Ford's view is a risk (compromised fluid lines). It is better to get rid of the contamination by "hot turbo flushing" the lines and installing a new cooler. In the non-remanufactured/everyday additional ATF filtration scenario, I believe the Magnefine/Wix 58964 is fine if replaced according to schedule."

Jim Allen:" Modular- What you describe is the exact same situation Ford faced in the 1990s when they went with the inline filters in the first place. My inside info was that they adopted the filter because the flushing wasn't getting done properly (or at all) by lazy or "flat-rater" techs. The stats were that the Magnefine brought their warranty claims on remain transmissions down from significant double digits to single digits. What you say makes perfect sense from a technical standpoint, re a filter plugged by a contaminant overload, but what's different today vs yesterday? Ditto for the fluid lines.. but again that comes back to the tech doing the work. Since Ford can't watch over every shoulder at every dealer, I guess they just have to figure out the best ways to get a job done with all the inefficiencies in the system. Plus,maybe the flushing machines are better now.. .and a new cooler really does solve most of the problems. And new/ reman transmissions are coming out cleaner these days due to better systems as well. Doesn't change the need for better filtration in automatics, IMO, but those improvements are here too, with 40u pleated media and such in pan filters."

Modular V8:"Time. I know Ford did field tests, but now they have enough data to re-evaluate the contamination issue. They probably found, as you mentioned, poor quality work by technicians. In-line filter installation issues leading to fluid leakage and more warranty claims. I believe Ford's goal is to minimize the "uncontrollable" variances that take place with the in-line filter installation procedure. I also think they may have found large variances in the amount of system contamination between transmission failures. Some too great to be handled by an inline filter. It is cheaper to replace the cooler and flush the lines than to get additional warranty claims in the long-run. The closer they can get the initial warranty claim to the original system design, the better off Ford will be."

The Ebay seller of the $10 OEM-looking filter replied back, saying that it was, in fact, aftermarket.

So, for around the same price as an OEM filter I purchased a Magnefine from the previously-listed link. We'll see how it goes.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Martin, the same guy who wrote that also found that many "magnefine" filters on the internet market are the now-notorious Chinese knockoffs, and some of the failures documented were fakes. You can see that followup from May here:

Counterfeit

Jim, many thanks for the update. You're awesome as always!
smile.gif

Do you (or anyone) know if the Magnefine is glued together now or if it can still be reassembled?

Last edited:
i would just buy the OEM filter and call it a day. i replaced the filter on my cr-v. just remove the shield and the filter is right under the rad. 2 bolts and a compression fitting and it's off. very easy to DIY. looks like it's the same set up in your civic.

Counterfeit

Jim, many thanks for the update. You're awesome as always!
smile.gif

Do you (or anyone) know if the Magnefine is glued together now or if it can still be reassembled?

They "can" be but they are really not intended to be. Remember that MF makes a billet aluminum one that IS designed for unscrewing and servicing. It's pricey but if you intend keeping the car long term....

MagneBillet-LR.jpg

Last edited:
Remember that MF makes a billet aluminum one that IS designed for unscrewing and servicing. It's pricey but if you intend keeping the car long term....

For that kind of coin I'd just use a synth spin-on filter and a remote mount. Throw in some nice magnets and I'd have a Super-Premium MagnaFiner!

Remember that MF makes a billet aluminum one that IS designed for unscrewing and servicing. It's pricey but if you intend keeping the car long term....

For that kind of coin I'd just use a synth spin-on filter and a remote mount. Throw in some nice magnets and I'd have a Super-Premium MagnaFiner!

Not a bad idea if you have the room. Not sure I'm 100 % convinced on the filter mags (vs the mag being IN the flow), especially for what they cost, but it's a big step in the right direction. Any additional filtration beyond the minimal pan filter is a good thing.

In fact, there are some syn filters made specifically for auto trans use. Racors FT1006RE filter (in their LFS line) is a syn element with 234 square inches of media, 10 um absolute, 8 gpm flow rate (about 4 times the flow of most ATs) and a capacity of 45 grams before reaching it's 22 psi bypass point. It was originally designed as a spin on for a MD European automatic trans but Dave Cline at Racor used it in a add-on kit for light MD trucks here and it's saved a lot of commercial automatics in applications that don't have a built-in fitler. Dave Cline just started a new blog on fitlration, by the way, at :

Dave Cline's Blog

THIS is the original Magnefine sales location. If you want Magnefine, use the link here.

If you want the OEM filter, use THIS link. It is the OEM for $20 shipped.

You can also get a case of Acura/Honda DW-1 OEM ATF for $77 shipped HERE. The OEM filter and ATF are the same site.

I have used both vendors, and they are both reputable.

Not a bad idea if you have the room. Not sure I'm 100 % convinced on the filter mags (vs the mag being IN the flow), especially for what they cost, but it's a big step in the right direction.

Yeah, I was thinking of having magnets IN the flow but we'll see that if/when I tackle it. The magnets should be reusable and the filters would probably be $10 each or so. Mounting & routing will always be a challenge.

Dave Cline just started a new blog on fitlration, by the way, at :Dave Cline's Blog

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back