First ATF change, need some advice (Honda Odyssey)

My 2001 Accord called for Z-1 ATF and I would recommend Valvoline Import ATF (the blue jug being discussed here*) over Maxlife because it's closer to Z-1 in viscosity and still full synthetic. Castrol IMV (not FS) is another choice close to Z1 viscosity wise although not FS. I agree that Z-1 is nothing special......
Since quoted, going further on Z1. In my observation this subforum Z1 one of if not the most criticized ATFs I've seen here, so attempting to match it's conventional viscosity means very little 'to me'. Z1 was also known to shear very quickly. With couple hundred+ miles using MLFSMV on multiple Honda including 01 Civic and Honda V6, with good service, no reason for me to change now. It should be noted, for that none of the aftermarket ATF add packages matches Honda, including Valvoline and Castrol Import ATF. Being very familiar with the aftermarket ATFs for Honda including add pack and viscosity attributes, link unnecessary for me. In short, to each their own.

Last edited:
Working on my wife's 2010 Honda Odyssey with ~175K. I've just started doing stuff on my CR-V and have done the oil, ATF, and rear diff fluids. Nothing exploded so I'm going to do her car now.

She is almost due for an oil change so I'm going to take care of that. She said she had been using whatever's cheapest at the quicky lube so I'll be using something fully synthetic.

I'm not sure when the ATF fluid might have been changed last. Probably be a whiiiile. From reading it sounds like I can drain and fill, drive through the gears, then repeat as needed. The fluid on the dipstick doesn't look as bad as I was expecting. I can still tell it's red so figured that was a good sign.

I was planning on using something other than Honda ATF. I've read a bunch of threads and people are on both sides of the debate. Will this work: Valvoline ATF
It lists the Honda fluid in the compatibility list. OK to mix with whatever is in there? Will I know how many times I need to flush and fill? Didn't know if I should be going on how the stuff looks when it drains, or if I should just do one or two swaps and see how it drives?

Thanks for all the great info around here!
Stick with Honda DW1 ....

Back