21 Honda Pilot 9-Speed trans @40k mile, Time to change ATF?

Owen Lucas

$100 Site Donor 2023
I understand these new 9-speed transmissions (ZF 9HP automatic) are finicky and it's best to change the trans fluid early.

Would 40k miles be a good time to do this? Any advice for those who have changed the fluid on this model? I plan on going with OE ATF from the dealer.

I understand these new 9-speed transmissions (ZF 9HP automatic) are finicky and it's best to change the trans fluid early.

Would 40k miles be a good time to do this? Any advice for those who have changed the fluid on this model? I plan on going with OE ATF from the dealer.
Honda software was finicky. Change if it is going to make you sleep better, but 60k is perfectly fine.

The ZF transmissions are not finicky. Anything you feel during shifting is software related and changing the fluid at 40,000 miles is a "money flush".
It can easily go another 10 or 20 thousand.

Changing it now would be a good PM action.

• In the first years of production, owners often complained about inappropriate shifting and even an involuntary transition to neutral. But subsequent firmwares fixed this.
  • With rare oil changes, the valve body solenoids quickly become clogged with wear products and the gearbox begins to push. So renew the lubricant in this transmission more often.

Last edited:
Doesn't your Honda have the MM? It will tell you when to change the ATF :unsure:
Yes it does, but I'm deciding to change the fluid earlier than the MM due to some history with the 9 speed ZF and weird shifting in earlier models. Supposedly it was solved by a software update in the 21+ MY but I've heard people saying it was helpful even on newer models. It does have a clunk when going into drive but maybe that's a characteristic of the vehicle? We'll see when I change the fluid.

This is just me,I keep my vehicles a long time.I'm in the do things early .I would do it and study on this forum about oil analysis, it's an option of course,maybe over kill,your choice.I like peace of mind

What's their factory fill? Are they using something with a Grp III base? If so I'd think 100,000 miles would not be a problem unless there's towing or a lot of stop and go in a hot climate.

Is the drain/fill procedure easy on the Honda?

This ZF9 is also used in the 2021+ Nissan Pathfinder and as far as I know, draining, filling and level checking is done from a single plug on the plastic pan. Not the worst thing in the world, but not easy like Hondas of the past.

I've read that the oddness in shifting on this particular ZF9 was due to the dog clutches it employs in certain ranges.

Is the drain/fill procedure easy on the Honda?

This ZF9 is also used in the 2021+ Nissan Pathfinder and as far as I know, draining, filling and level checking is done from a single plug on the plastic pan. Not the worst thing in the world, but not easy like Hondas of the past.

I've read that the oddness in shifting on this particular ZF9 was due to the dog clutches it employs in certain ranges.
I've watched a few videos, fill bolt on top of trans. Bolt on bottom of pan / housing and a level check bolt. Should take 4 quarts and a crush washer. I'll double check this in the manual.

Last edited:
Reactions: JTK

Yes change it.....9 speeds....that's a lot of shifting for daily use

Back