Honda Civic 91 Si Struts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd call Koni to see if there is anything funky about the installation instructions for the application. Photos of shocks are pretty generic in nature usually. Don't recall any significant deviations from stock on the daughter's Civic.

Drove out to a racing shop(Nuespeed Ineumann Dist.) nearby and confirmed that the brake line bracket does NOT come with the shock. The sales person said that I should be able to tap out the brake line bracket from my shock but I told him that the KYB shock comes with a welded bracket. The total cost with tax for 2 KONI SRT shocks is $ 142.07. Then drove to NAPA and the sales guy there did not have shocks for my car in stock. Bought some brake fluid and drove off. Back to the drawing board

Originally Posted By: Gito
I noticed the the Koni shocks have no brake line brackets. My current KYB's do have the brake line brackets welded on. I think the original shocks had the bracket attached and I think they could be tapped out. Any suggestions.

my koni's did not come brake brackets...you're suppose to use oem ones.

My OEM shocks are long gone 10 plus years ago. Never bothered removing the hardware because the KYB's that I purchased at that time had the brake line brackets.

I noticed the the Koni shocks have no brake line brackets.

Skip the Konis, then. You NEED those brake line brackets!

I've seen morons zip-tie their brake lines to the shock tube for lack of brackets. Not good.

Originally Posted By: garlicbreadman
my koni's did not come brake brackets...you're suppose to use oem ones.

The OE bracket on the '91 Civic is a permanent part of the OE shock tube. The loop and rubber sleeve that attach to the brake line are supposed to bolt to that bracket. If there is no bracket, you can't secure the brake line to the shock.

In this pic, the brake line bracket is at the bottom left of the shock tube, at the bottom of the pic, right next to the crack in the concrete:
c-new-shock2.jpg

Last edited:
I feel better now. I don't remember a separate brake line bracket on the original shocks and I lowered and raised my civic tons of times in the early 90's. The Koni rep sounded very convincing and told me to "just tap it out". I lifted my civic back to normal height when I bought the KYB's 10 plus years ago and that was the last time I saw my original shocks which were shot. I threw them away and only kept what I saw was reusable. I called Honda earlier and they told me that shocks were not available for my car anymore. I looked at Majestic Honda and it indicates that the part "may have been discontinued". The prices are not bad($80-$90). I will give them a call tomorrow to see if I can find some shocks thru them. Thats not a bad price if they are the original shocks. If Majestic honda does not carry them anymore then I will have to go with a shock that comes with the brake line brackets. KYB shocks seem to come with brake line brackets but I seriously do not want to get KYB's again unless someone out there can tell me that they have a good KYB part number and store to purchase from. Tegger, I noticed the 405,000 miles, congrats.

Last edited:
I don't remember a separate brake line bracket on the original shocks

You had them. The flex line has to attach to the shock somehow.

I looked at Majestic Honda and it indicates that the part "may have been discontinued".

That's likely to be 100% accurate, unfortunately. These cars are old enough that lots of OE parts are becoming unavailable.

Tegger, I noticed the 405,000 miles, congrats.

Thanks. Just passed smog, too. But rust in the windshield pinchweld will send the car to its grave (or at least to a new owner) in the next year or so; it's not repairable.

KYB shocks seem to come with brake line brackets but I seriously do not want to get KYB's again unless someone out there can tell me that they have a good KYB part number and store to purchase from. Tegger, I noticed the 405,000 miles, congrats.

My experience with the newest KYB Excel-G struts (black color, not silver like the GR-2s were) is that they seem ride a bit softer than I expected. It may be worth another shot. Also, I've installed one set of Monroe OESpectrum recently and they performed quite similarly to OE.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
Gito said:
I don't remember a separate brake line bracket on the original shocks

You had them. The flex line has to attach to the shock somehow.

What I meant by "separate" was that I don't remember the brake line bracket being removable. I remember the brake line bracket and the shock being one piece and not separate pieces.

What I meant by "separate" was that I don't remember the brake line bracket being removable. I remember the brake line bracket and the shock being one piece and not separate pieces.

That is correct. The two are welded together and are inseparable. It is not possible to re-use the brake line bracket between shock assemblies, so the new shock must come with its own bracket, or you're zip-tying the line to the shock.

And if you have an annual inspection where you are, I can just about guarantee that a zip-tied brake line is not going to be given a "Like" by the inspector.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Originally Posted By: DemoFly
I preferred Tokico Blues over KYB GR-2 on my 89 Civic.

For what reason exactly? Thanks.

Tokico Blues felt like an improvement over OEM in terms of smoothness, and they were plenty rigid for carving corners.

GR-2s were stiffer than OEM and didn't make any noticeable difference in handling.

In the end I went with Progress coil-overs, but for OEM replacement or an improvement over OEM ride quality would recommend Tokico Blues.

Any recommendation on a good website to purchase Tokikos and DO THEY HAVE THE BRAKE LINE BRACKETS?

Found some Tokikos for 89.99 each. Local race shop said they can get them by Monday. Is this a good price?

Found some Tokikos for 89.99 each. Local race shop said they can get them by Monday. Is this a good price?

I bought mine on ebay for about $80 each.

Yes they have the brake line brackets.

Ordered yesterday for 89.99 each from local race shop. Should get them by next week. I will update Tokico shock performance next week.

Last edited:
Been having problems with the race shop that ordered the Tokico shocks. The guy never once called me to tell me when the shocks were going to come in. I called every day last week and he could not give me an answer and always promised he would call me the next day. Same story over and over and so I decided to contact American Express to dispute the charge. AMEX they would handle it. Got a call from the shop today and the guy told me that he did not yet know when the shocks would come in so he offered a refund. It will credit back to my AMEx within 24 hrs. Hopefully. Now I'm starting over. So is it going to be Monroes or KYB's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back