Budget struts?

I have an 35 year old clam shell unit that has had about 25 to 30 cars done with it without one spring movement issue. Still going strong. Mine does not have the safety pins in it. The reason I bought it was I had a spring movement issue with one of the one per side version and about crapped my pants. I had a car coming in for a set of struts after that incident and before I could buy the clam shell so I used hose clamps on the springs to at least "try " to hold them in place. I did a bunch of cars before this with the one per side one. All it took was one violent slip to say F this, my safety is too important.
Yeah. To me, it's definitely the scariest job to do. Too easy not to DIY, but....

I think I might go with this for my project of lifting Atlas. @Trav, what do you think?
My experience with inexpensive versions of this tools is limited and mixed, they can be a bit unnerving with stronger springs but if the springs do not have a high rate spring they work fine, it should be okay with the VW but I would not use one on for eg a Honda Odyssey front strut, the thing will be twisting up more than a pole dancer. The lead screw has a max or 30 lb.ft
For the money I would prefer these, the KS also makes them for Gedore.

In that vein I wonder about this style? It seems to also be sold as Carlyle and Cornwell at higher prices

These are supposed to be the bee's knees. They also make a SK-3500 for heavier duty applications.

Reactions: D60
The average DIY'er isn't going to spend the money on that. I've done struts several times using a cheap $30 compressor tool without it killing me.

View attachment 197065

I've also used this type numerous times without issue.

Lie the strut down transversely in front of you on the floor and tighten up each side evenly. If something was to happen it would fling off to your left or right and not at you.

I’ve used the basic compressor on struts and rear struts (small springs). I was always careful when tightening, not going too fast and compressing each side evenly. Thing is for me, it takes a while to get the job done. I have that clamshell compressor but it’s too large for the small struts on Minis.

I was considering the Branick, but the cost is high if I’m not doing a lot of them. I’m now looking at that Jack Tech linked above. It’s not bad and I’ll likely do more struts with a tool like that.

I have been installing ready struts the past few times, but I think I’d rather start putting in quality parts going forward. I’m having to look at replacing the struts on the Charger, and I prefer to go with TRW or Sachs vs FCS or similar. Same with the Mini. I’d like to install Sachs or Bilstein in it if I’m going to hang onto it for a while.

how long do you plan on keeping this ride? Budget struts from Rock auto usually come with the expectation, max a year.

If its a long term ride, more then a year, then id do a oe or oem build.

Yeah that style seems to show up a lot in UK/Euro videos I've watched.
This is actually a great price - $520.

Back in November I bought Monroe quick struts for my 2011 Town and Country on Amazon. The right side was like $20 more than the left for some reason, but I got both for like $200. I replaced the sway bar links and bushings and the rear shocks as well. The van is riding significantly better and I recommend the Monroes for the price.

I’m surprised nobody mentioned Mando yet. The name is unfamiliar to some but they’re a Tier 1 manufacturer for Hyundai and Kia. Tesla sources from too. They just rapidly expanded their aftermarket quick strut lineup and if they don’t have it for your application, they may soon. I mention them because for the cars I own, they run about 40% cheaper than the KYB strut plus.

Back