Home Cell Phone Service:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many of the cell phone companies offer home cellular service for a decent monthly price. I would like to keep my home number and was wondering if anyone has tried this new product.

Just plug your home phone into the cellular station and call is their game for about 20 bucks a month.

$20? really? I thought it was just adding another line to your cell service and porting over your phone number to that new line of service.

Not sure if/why Id buy anything special... It looks like Panasonic sells a 5-receiver wireless system that just bluetooth couples to any cellphone and then does essentially this at least over the distance that the system can transmit.

A buddy of mine has the Verizon home phone connect. Call quality is noticeably better than that of his cell phone (iPhone 4s) and this is in midtown Manhattan with perfect service. It works great for what it is, a landline replacement.

I believe it's only $10/month if you're adding it to an existing cell plan, or $20 if you're using the device alone. And it's unlimited so doesn't take from your minutes. If you want a landline-type phone and VOIP isn't really something you want to get into, then it's not a bad choice.

^ so you're implying that somehow it is preferential service and gives better quality? Interesting.

I wasn't aware that they were unlimited.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
^ so you're implying that somehow it is preferential service and gives better quality? Interesting.

I wasn't aware that they were unlimited.

Yes, when he first got it he called me with his cell phone, then right after with the home phone connect and it was significantly better. Maybe iPhones are just poor quality, I don't know, I have an Android phone :p

And I can't speak for other carriers but VZW's device is unlimited.

He's right, the iPhone (at least my 4 with AT&T) has lousy sound quality, and now that everyone is sucking up data by the gigabyte, many wireless carriers (like AZ) are now giving UNLIMITED calling on their plans. Bad news for the local telcos (like my local Cinti. Bell)!

Interesting. Its almost like that service gets a priority of bandwidth or something.

We are looking into this, because the taxes on the hardwire services anymore make the bill increase by over 20%. I have to wonder if cost wise it is lower to go this route.

May just be a better antenna, etc. on the base unit as the device is made only for voice, combined with landline phones that are also made only for voice...as opposed to iPhones that are designed for many different uses. Kinda like the old Nokia phones that would pull a signal everywhere and would have great voice quality
smile.gif

So explain to me how this works?

I have a verizon landline which I pay $34 for (Freedom Essentials).

I have an AT&T mobile phone.

How to enable the verizon cell phone service?

^ AT&T apparently has a similar service, but says "only available for select areas" so you may or may not be able to get it, it should be your first choice as you have an at&t cell phone and would be $10 additional per month: https://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp...bid=qXHKOmV0Mwm

If that's not available, VZW's home phone connect will set you back $20/month since you don't have an existing VZW plan and would have it on the plan by itself: http://www.verizonwireless.com/plans-0/b2c--splash--hpc.jsp.shtml

Basically, you get the base unit (from eBay, directly from the carrier, or otherwise), activate it, plug your home phone into it, and just use it as you would a landline. Just instead of your calls going through copper wires, they're going through wirelessly to your local cell tower.

Maybe I'm just really oblivious but...

What's the advantage of the home wireless setup vs. just adding an additional line to a family plan and getting a free flip phone? Is it just more comfortable to use a "real" phone vs. a cell phone?

That is really what it is, it seems. So long as that flip phone hase bluetooth or can connect, I think you're ok.

The thing I'd like to understand is the taxes. More? Less? Taxes and fees destroy the landline's cost efficiency.

Instead of paying $35+ for a normal landline, I can use my corded phone with a wireless cell tower for $20. That is the advantage.

Yes but what is the breakdown in cost?

Some people carry a lot of features that drives the landline cost up, with caller I'd and all.

Our landline is $14.95, and taxes are around $15. But I'd be shortsighted if I thought there weren't fees and taxes on cellphones too.

I've never seen a good breakdown, and its tough to discern from my cell bill since there is a lot of stuff lumped together there.

Some people carry a lot of features that drives the landline cost up, with caller I'd and all.

Our landline is $14.95, and taxes are around $15. But I'd be shortsighted if I thought there weren't fees and taxes on cellphones too.

I've never seen a good breakdown, and its tough to discern from my cell bill since there is a lot of stuff lumped together there.

$15 incl everything domestic

Since this is PREPAID all you pay is $15 TOTAL per month. No fees or taxes if you purchase your PIN numbers through WalMart.com and it could be even less ($14.25 per month) with little effort.

Includes Voicemail, caller-ID, 3-way calling, call waiting, call forwarding, E911 and 411.

Bill

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

$15 incl everything domestic

Since this is PREPAID all you pay is $15 TOTAL per month. No fees or taxes if you purchase your PIN numbers through WalMart.com and it could be even less ($14.25 per month) with little effort.

Includes Voicemail, caller-ID, 3-way calling, call waiting, call forwarding, E911 and 411.

Bill

Yeah, that is really good... Do you have to renew monthly by going and getting a new PIN, or can you get an auto update or a longer period of time? I see auto update online, but there isnt a lot that I found in an initial look at the costs of the various options... The cheapest plan I saw there was $30.

Id be more inclined to just add an AT&T line for $9.99, which would help us to use the minutes that we dont even use fully now as-is. But this is a good option otherwise. Thanks!

Yeah, that is really good... Do you have to renew monthly by going and getting a new PIN, or can you get an auto update or a longer period of time?

Id be more inclined to just add an AT&T line for $9.99, which would help us to use the minutes that we dont even use fully now as-is. But this is a good option otherwise. Thanks!

The longer you buy "refill" time the lower the cost is to a point.

Since this is a NEW service from them that it will take a few months before the multi-month cards are out.

With my cell phones I save $3 a month buying 3 months at a time. Then another 5% using a DiscoverCard. If I bought the 6 month or 12 month cards there is no more $$ to be saved over the 3 months. So all I'd be gaining is convenience.

I'm just sticking with 3 months just in case there is a change in anything. A nice thing about no contract service.

Bill

Has anyone purchased the Wireless Home Phone adapter?

I'd really like to get a backup phone and am debating VOIP, wireless home phone, getting an extra no frills flip phone, or picking up a prepaid phone and keeping a few minutes on it.

Just as an update...

Over the weekend, I purchased the AT&T Home Phone wireless adapter. I added the line to my family plan for $9.99/month. I've wanted some kind of backup phone for awhile and was on the fence between this and VOIP.

I picked the cellular option because I had an iffy experience in the past with VOIP, when someone in the house was streaming video, even after adjusting the router's QOS.

The reason I didn't just get a free flip phone from AT&T or a GoPhone, is that I hate talking on cell phones and still prefer a "real" phone.

So far, I'm very impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back