Hold the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT1

Don't you hate it when you hold the door for someone and they don't even thank you?

Happens to me at work all the time. It's usually women that wont thank me.........and they wonder why chivalry is dead, I guess they feel entitled to it.

I feel sad for them.
I try to always do something nice with the idea I won't be thanked for it. Otherwise, I'm doing it for the wrong reason(s).

That is one thing that [censored] me right off. I always comment with " Your Welcome " Loudly

I've noticed that too. Either they look at you like your weird, pervert or want something. Seems like the only ones that really say thanks is the elderly women. But, I still do it regardless. Seems like a lot of the younger men don't even bother anymore, especially in a large city. You know what else freaked me out? I was at church last Wednesday taking my daughter to the childrens choir rehearsal. After that, I usually go to the sanctuary and fire up all the sound gear as I run all the sound and adult choir practise was right afterwards. However, the Minister of Music asked me to stay for a while, which is OK with me. But later I asked why because he hasn't asked that of me ever. He said his wife, she's ususally at choir practice as well, had to go home and get something and he wanted two adults in the room. Wow. Has it come to this....even in a church, that no one seems trustworthy? Really spooked me.....

Originally Posted By: getnpsi
Its part of the game to look at a womans behind when you opened the door for her. After hundreds of years they caught on?

Thats just payment for holding the door!!

I noticed nearly every middle aged man says thank you. Women rarely say it, younger men are decent about it.

For me elderly women never say it. I'm not a big enough [censored] to stop opening door though.

People are mostly rude. I always try and be polite. Sometimes I'm surprised at the response to holding a door. You can tell the younger people who have been treated like "c" and those who think that their [blank] don't stink.

..but ..hey
21.gif
..you ams what you ams..
21.gif

Originally Posted By: sxg6
"Chivalry is dead, and women killed it!" - Dave Chappelle

Haha... Love it.
My last GF just "expected" everything. Really [censored] me off, makes it impossible for us guys to do something nice for the S.O. now and again without "having" to.

Low maintenance for the winnnnn!

Originally Posted By: JT1
Don't you hate it when you hold the door for someone and they don't even thank you?

Happens to me at work all the time. It's usually women that wont thank me.........and they wonder why chivalry is dead, I guess they feel entitled to it.

Probably the same people who don't respond at all when the cashier says "Hi, how are you?" or "Have a nice day". That really ticks me off when I'm standing in line behind some moron who thinks they're too good to respond to someone!!

I see and practice random acts of kindness. It is paying off, I see other people doing it too. I like holding doors for people, it lets them know that I'm not a savage. A smile doesn't hurt either

It is very rare for me not to receive a thank-you when I hold the door open, but the first time I can remember in a long time happened just a couple of weeks ago.

As for cashiers- if they ask how I am I tell them and also ask how they are, and I do try to be sincere. I do recall a couple of years ago catching one cashier off-guard by it! (she was not at all hard to look at, either).

i hold the door for people everyday,i always hate the people who take their time so you have to hold the door forever. the least they could do is show alittle hustle.

That REALLY burns my wife and I.

Usually, if its a double door and a person blatantly ignores me when I hold the the first one, I wait until their inches from the second one, and let go of it.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
..and they wonder why chivalry is dead, I guess they feel entitled to it.

It would be very nice to be recognized for every nice thing you do. But truly, if you feel entitled to the kindness of a thanks, you aren't that much different from those who feel entitled to the act of having the door held. They are both small acts that don't take much to carry out.

I would say I get thanked for holding the door at least half the time if not more. Some people will just walk right by and not even acknowledge it, but I'd like to think karma takes care of that eventually.

I think it's a northern thing. I honestly cannot remember the last time somebody didn't say 'thank you' to me when I held the door open. No joke. Man or woman, regardless of age. Even little kids. Even the Mexicans who don't speak and English will smile at you. We got raised that way. I remember forgetting to say it as a child and being sent back to the person by my mother to tell them thank you.

I myself am the silent type. I recall walking past a woman in the hall at work a few years ago and hearing her yell "How hard is it to say hello to someone?" after she had rounded the corner. I had seen her a few times but didn't know her name or what she did. Should I be excited to see you?
21.gif

I rather suspect some other people get put off by my silence too. People who don't say thanks after you hold the door aren't necessarily rude. Could be, of course. But take it as a lesson that everyone is different. Nothing personal.

Got to go with green on this....more of a Yankee thing than down here in the south lands. In my travels, it just seems like a lot of folks are "stuck-up" in the north. I guess with so many people and over crowding, you just fiend for yourself.

An acquaintance of mine was telling me a story about being banned from the apartment building where his then-girlfriend was living. A couple of menacing-looking strangers had arrived and tried to persuade one of the girls to "invite" them in. My buddy leaned over and whispered to the girl to assure her that he had a gun in case things got ugly. Once the strangers left, the girl called the cops and told them my buddy was scaring her and she didn't want him around any more.

The cops were obligated to enforce the tenant's wishes and kick my buddy out. But at some point, the detective pulled my buddy aside. He said he thought my buddy had done the right thing, and that "chivalry is dead and women killed it."

I think the reality is a lot more complicated than that, but I know where you're coming from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back