$795 for Garage Door repair.

They ripped you but it is what it is.
The technician/installer/salesperson was here for a bit over 3 hours. Don't know what GD service techs make but this guy deserved it. He slightly revised the mount area where the cable pulley was to be easier for him and future servicing. It was in a very tight space on one side . Clean, shaven, polite, decent clothing and I feel he was honest. My initial thoughts was to get a whole new door, rails, opener and the rest. He said my rails were fine and solid and the wood door panels would survive a major calamity. Their major competitor only offers a 30 day warranty. If it fails after 30 days it's your problem labor wise. Ask me how I know. At day 41 they wanted a new service call fee + additional labor. Pirates and bandits.

Yeah the old saying, fast, good, cheap-- pick any two. OP def got fast and good.

I have an attached garage and last winter we had a windy below zero F day. I could barely keep the house warm due to the fact the garage door was being pushed away from the wall creating a huge air leak. Rollers were original from an old wood door 35 years ago.

Put new rollers in and I cannot believe the improvement in sealing off the door during wind.

Two years ago I rebuilt half the header (inside one of a pair) over it and the entire right side wall framing due to termite damage. Got the rails all lined up right and new springs. Then the plastic latch from the threaded drive strips out. That's an easy fix and I have a spare now. It's a Genie opener and about 25 years old.

26 replies and no warning that torsion springs will kill you? Amazing.

I had a spring break one time and it fell straight down to the floor and missed the car. I was young and dumb and didn’t know about safety cables.
Mine came un-tensioned and I ain’t touching it myself…. House I grew up in had the springs that go along the side rails up by the ceiling and one of those let go once, punched a hole right through the ceiling.

Precision here quoted me $660-$780 for 2 garage door springs. Another company was $499. I got them done with the company that did my doors for $329. It pays to call around.
I found a local place to install springs for $350 including springs. He will also install a new opener that I buy for $150 whether I get springs or not. This truly local guy didn't answer his phone Saturday evening so he didn't get the job. I wanted an appointment arranged for in the morning which I got and which I paid for. Hard to tell if there was a Sunday surcharge.

So-the OP isn't complaining about the price? OR is he?
My price, for sure not a screaming value. A fair price? After a few hours of consideration and the level of service I received, don't feel I was cheated. Did I overpay some? Yes. All of these local franchisee's pay a lot to use the name. I'll bet about a $100 went to the PDS corporate headquarters. Just happy the outcome is good.

26 replies and no warning that torsion springs will kill you? Amazing.

I had a spring break one time and it fell straight down to the floor and missed the car. I was young and dumb and didn’t know about safety cables.
The safety cables were replaced and the springs inspected with a magnifying glass. He said they were the HD variety that Overhead Door put in 10 years ago. If I am so vain as to have to have a quieter opener I will probably replace the springs at the same time.

How much per hour does the operator make?

Sorry, couldn't resist. 🫣 :ROFLMAO:
What ever it is...it's too much!
Sorry...couldn't resist that either!

I'm going out to Autozone/Napa/Walmart now to find some cheap clearance oil.....

I ordered larger wire diameter and longer length garage door springs on Amazon. (that's the secret to long life) Same lifting power, 10,000 more cycles. Did it myself. Was relatively easy, and I saved probably $400, also avoided having someone install the homeowner grade springs I had before.
yeah, I've had 2 springs fail on my garage door in the last 12 years... not a big deal to replace them, other than having to be careful when you wind em up.

what got me is the trip charge, which is pretty low. it did accomplish what its usually designed to . get in the door and upsell.

Back