Hmmm... this looks better than a Fumoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll stick with the tried and true drain plug. It has worked for me for over 40 years of changing oil and will continue to do so.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I'll stick with the tried and true drain plug. It has worked for me for over 40 years of changing oil and will continue to do so.

Amen

Ditto that

I am probably over conservative but I don't trust the Fumoto drain valves. Although I realize it would be highly unlikely for the valve to be opened by accident, to me it still looks like a possibility no matter how remote. The only way I'd personally trust one is to safety wire it in the closed position. I know that is probably overkill, so I will just stick with the old fashioned drain plug myself.

Originally Posted By: klt1986

I am probably over conservative but I don't trust the Fumoto drain valves. Although I realize it would be highly unlikely for the valve to be opened by accident, to me it still looks like a possibility no matter how remote. The only way I'd personally trust one is to safety wire it in the closed position. I know that is probably overkill, so I will just stick with the old fashioned drain plug myself.

Might be overkill but it still might not save you if it hits a brick, or even some stout brush on a little used track.

Originally Posted By: gaijinnv
I don't mind Scotty, but that gizmo he likes is a bust IMHO.

First, looks like the oil drains very slowly - small check valve ball. This would drive me crazy.

Second, and most importantly, it requires a dedicated tool to drain the oil. So... what happens if you need to drain your oil and you don't have the required drain tool with you? SOL. OK, so you clean up the drain tool and carry it with you at all times in your vehicle, should be OK, right? Well... imagine you are at a dealer or some other service facility. You hand your drain tool over to the service tech and you spend 10 minutes explaining how to use it - too much trouble. My guess is the tech will just remove the entire gizmo to drain the oil which is just what is required without the gizmo.

Move on.

LOL... I’m not trying to sell anybody on these but when’s the last time you needed to do an emergency oil drain away from home? Chances of that would be remote.

If your scared of getting a little OIL on your hands take it in for an oil change, otherwise man up and get DIRTY
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Installed a Fumoto because the threads on a pan I work on was damaged (weakened) and I wanted not to continue removing and replacing a plug.

In this application (2010 4 cyl. Accord) the Fumoto is completely shielded so being hit by some tumbling road debris is as likely as any other part including the pan itself.

Scotty K's valve needs its tool. No thanks.

Originally Posted By: Malo83
If your scared of getting a little OIL on your hands take it in for an oil change, otherwise man up and get DIRTY
thumbsup2.gif

Hahaha, good one. I don’t know about the rest of you, but I’ve inadvertently done more than dirtied my hands over the years. One little plop, and oil is on you or the deck. Some might not mind oil on them or their garage floor, but I’m not a fan.

I prefer to slide the collection pan under the car, reach under and open the valve, and walk away to do other things while it drains. This was especially nice when I was trying to discreetly change my oil in the parking lot of my previous apartment. It literally took me a minute to get in and out, before anyone could even think of complaining (or even know what the heck I’m doing, for hat matter - car needs to be jacked up for an oil change, right???)

I’ve been using Fumoto valves for nearly ten years and have never had a problem. For most, the orientation won’t allow for accidental opening. If I hit something high enough to sheer the Fumoto off, it’s likely high enough to put me out of commission, anyway. Be you condemn it for this potential casualty, an evaluation needs to be made. Some applications may be risky, but many aren't.

To each his or her own, of course. I’m just a huge fan of making life easier. It’s not often one can use this trite phrase and it be nearly true, but it feels like a no-brainer to me.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
This was especially nice when I was trying to discreetly change my oil in the parking lot of my previous apartment. It literally took me a minute to get in and out, before anyone could even think of complaining (or even know what the heck I’m doing, for hat matter - car needs to be jacked up for an oil change, right???)

Hadn't thought of pervasive non-permissive surveillance, because I don't live in that kind of environment, but I guess its a growing trend. Could certainly be an issue in the UK.

Here people tend to mind thier business, plus DIY maintenance is so unheard of that they'd never think to have an actual rule against it.

IIRC I dont need to jack up using a conventional drain plug, but I suppose it depends on the vehicle.

I ,Ike the concept of fumoto, but have never bought one. Ive found that enough junk is caught on drain plug magnets to keep using them.

I would take a fumoto plus a secondary plug with magnet... doubt I'll see one in any car I own.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
This was especially nice when I was trying to discreetly change my oil in the parking lot of my previous apartment. It literally took me a minute to get in and out, before anyone could even think of complaining (or even know what the heck I’m doing, for hat matter - car needs to be jacked up for an oil change, right???)

Hadn't thought of pervasive non-permissive surveillance, because I don't live in that kind of environment, but I guess its a growing trend. Could certainly be an issue in the UK.

Here people tend to mind thier business, plus DIY maintenance is so unheard of that they'd never think to have an actual rule against it.

IIRC I dont need to jack up using a conventional drain plug, but I suppose it depends on the vehicle.

We didn't have any cameras; just nosy neighbors (really, just one massive busy-body). I'm all four ratting out people who have been warned over and over again to clean up after their pets, to stop dumping commercial garbage in the dumpsters, etc., but I have no problem with people being slightly outside of the letter of the bi-laws, so long as their not making a mess or otherwise causing a disturbance.

In this particular case, I don't make a mess, but I'm not sure that it would matter TOO much, anyway. There are a couple of cars leaking oil more than I would ever spill over a lifetime of changes, even if I dropped a drain plug into an open container every single time! lol It's not bad, but that's kind of my point.

I like the Fumoto, because I don't have to wear gloves (I do anyway) and there's no real way you can screw it up. It does take longer to drain. As I mentioned, I typically slide the pan under, open the ball valve, verify the drain stream is not going to get outside of the collection pan, and then walk away for half an hour or more.

I also haven't taken a sample for UOA in a while, but wit a drain plug I was never able to do so without making at least a little mess. Now, I could open to drain a bit; close the valve and place the sample bottle under, and then open the valve; then repeat at various points during the drain to get a representative sample. Minimal mess, if any.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I ,Ike the concept of fumoto, but have never bought one. Ive found that enough junk is caught on drain plug magnets to keep using them.

I would take a fumoto plus a secondary plug with magnet... doubt I'll see one in any car I own.

I've recently bought into the magnets-on-the-filter craze, as an experiment. Seems like that would resolve your concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back