Hmmm... this looks better than a Fumoto

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) Scotty is annoying, and -
2) It's a copy of a design that's been used on aircraft for 40 years. Seems OK?

That's a ValvoMax, if you had trouble seeing it the way he was flailing his arms around while holding it.....
Similar to the now-discontinued Fram SureDrain, although they are available on EBay from time to time:
s-l1600.jpg

Problem is, I like my GoldPlug magnetic drain plug too much. Also a Dimple drain plug is a good magnet. Otherwise, this thing is cool.

Fram had the Sure Drain with the same principle which didn't survive even with a huge distribution system and name recognition.

There are other designs but nothing beats the Fumoto.

That video is idiotic. They don't leak and they don't wear out. So much misinformation on Fumoto.

Last edited:
With some of the posts made on this forum I wouldn't be surprised if some members actually praised this guy.

Wouldn't the check valve stop some waste metals carried by the used oil from draining?

Originally Posted By: wemay
Wouldn't the check valve stop some waste metals carried by the used oil from draining?

Yeah, I wondered about that too.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Might be but when the first thing I see is Scotty not interested, sorry.

The power of branding.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Might be but when the first thing I see is Scotty not interested, sorry.

Carry on.

Thought the same thing. I’ve seen a dozen or so of his videos and that’s enough for the rest of my life. He’s not entertaining enough to overlook his wrongness.

Furmoto with with or without a hose is better for oil sampling. You can use that petcock to quickly turn off the oil flow.

I've got no issues with my fumoto drain valves.

I had the fram variant and my only complaint was that the oil drained so slowly.

So slowly in fact that I removed it after two oil changes.

I also find I hard to watch his videos. Any message or information he s has gets lost in the manic energy and persona.

-a

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
That's a ValvoMax, if you had trouble seeing it the way he was flailing his arms around while holding it.....

He'd never do that in one of his videos, would he?
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: Joshua_Skinner
Scotty looks like John Lennon's crack-head little brother who has an AM radio in his dental work.

Its just immoral to trash someone due to their unique personality. You can say "I don't like to watch his videos.", but don't be a jerk here. Take that to another forum or just shut up. Hopefully just shut up.

I don't mind Scotty, but that gizmo he likes is a bust IMHO.

First, looks like the oil drains very slowly - small check valve ball. This would drive me crazy.

Second, and most importantly, it requires a dedicated tool to drain the oil. So... what happens if you need to drain your oil and you don't have the required drain tool with you? SOL. OK, so you clean up the drain tool and carry it with you at all times in your vehicle, should be OK, right? Well... imagine you are at a dealer or some other service facility. You hand your drain tool over to the service tech and you spend 10 minutes explaining how to use it - too much trouble. My guess is the tech will just remove the entire gizmo to drain the oil which is just what is required without the gizmo.

Move on.

He showed a picture of the EZ Oil Drain valve I installed. Also used Fomoto for years. Yes, they drain slower. The key is to have oil warm.

The gizmo he has would not work for my application. I change the oil with car parked. Screwing that piece on would be a pita. Very little clearance from floor to oil pan.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: Joshua_Skinner
Scotty looks like John Lennon's crack-head little brother who has an AM radio in his dental work.

Its just immoral to trash someone due to their unique personality. You can say "I don't like to watch his videos.", but don't be a jerk here. Take that to another forum or just shut up. Hopefully just shut up.

Scotty's "brand" is being obnoxious. That's what I'm lashing out against. If I thought that he is as he portrays himself I wouldn't make fun of the guy.

Whats it (or its competitors) for?

Uses/advantages I can see are:-

(a) it reduces contamination of the removed oil. This is only worthwhile if you plan to re-use the oil. I MIGHT consider that but most people wouldn't.

(b) You can do a partial drain, as when sampling. This is also a very unusual requirement.

Downsides might include vulnerability to damage from hitting things (Fumoto looks significantly worse in that respect) and probably slower drain.

So not much apparent utility.

I wish I had one on my fuel tank drain port right now though. That'd be useful.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back