High Mileage Silverado, is there something better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Switch to Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W-30.

You mean Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w30?

10w30 synthetics have no place in this application.

I can strongly recommend the Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w30, I'm using it in my Taurus now.

I assume you've got one of these trucks then or ..........,,,
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

You mean Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w30?

10w30 synthetics have no place in this application.

I can strongly recommend the Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w30, I'm using it in my Taurus now.

I agree with the 5-30 recommendation however with M1 0w-40 costing the same at Walmart as 5w-30 does I suggest it over all others.

And a can of mos2.

M1 0w40 doesn't need Mos2. Its amazingly awesome the way it is.
smile.gif

What is the benefit of using Mobil 1 0w40 over the 5w30?

I'll have to research the Mos2, I've never heard of it. Wonder if the auto stores around here carry it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RichardSenn
What is the benefit of using Mobil 1 0w40 over the 5w30?

I'll have to research the Mos2, I've never heard of it. Wonder if the auto stores around here carry it.

M1 0w40 has extremely good cold flow, a really high tbn, btter wear protection because of higher zinc and phosphorus, better cleaning because higher detergent levels, can be ran over 12k miles between changes, single digit NOACK, and a carries a bunch of high end manufacturer endorsement
Its literally one of the best oils in the world.

Mos2 is a moly additive. It can be bought at napa. Some like it, i think in this application theres not much to gain from it, but to each his own....

Actually Mobil 1 5w30 should be superior in cold starts, Mobil 1 5w30 has a D5293 Viscosity @-30° C mPa of 3,937 which is pretty much tops amongst 5w30 synthetics. It also has a pretty robust starting TBN but the 0w40 is BMW LL-01 approved and carries more approvals overall due to European requirements.

The biggest reason to use the M1 0w40 is to extend drains.

Originally Posted By: jamesyarbrough
M1 0w40 has ... btter wear protection because of higher zinc and phosphorus,

Higher ZDDP does not necessarily mean better wear protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back