High mileage oil? and rear main ? replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have used Vavoline maxlife's 10w30 for a good while long ago... then heard that penzoil's hm was a bit thicker.. so i changed over to the 10w40 weight oil .... then switched to castrol's after that... and after i changed to the castrol hm 10w30 weight... i think the rear main really haas begun to leak.. hence that i changed back to the Penzoil 10w40 hm and left it at that...

how much does would it cost me to have the rearmain work done at a mech other than the stealership...????? i might drive my jeep over to b'ham, alabama to have the work done over there since there are 2 big named jeep stores over there... but i dunno...

the '92 4.0ho is about to go on 186,000mi and probably needed this work done about 15,000miles ago....

but how much will cost me and yes the engine and tranny dont have to be pulled apart..just that the oil pan needs to be dropped....

thanks

Can't answer your question, but thought I would pass this along. I have had great success with Bar's Stop Leak in a 92 GM 3800 V6 motor with a rear main seal leak. Maybe worth a try before you resort to the major repair.

There is a Fel-Pro rear main seal that has a double lip design in order to cover any grove in the crank...can't remember the part number off hand...sorry.Jeep forum pages are a good start to get any good answers.My 99 Cherokee with 103,000 miles started to get a little seepage at the rear main.DELVAC 1 in the 5W-40 took care of that leak...it's dry now..may-be the higher ester base in the Delvac softened the seal a tad..who knows-who cares it's gone now and even after changing back and forth between Esso XD-3 0w-40 and Delvac 1 5W-40 it's still dry DRY!

Wait a minute Biscuitboy, "I have had great success with Bar's Stop Leak in a 92 GM 3800 V6 motor with a rear main seal leak."

The leak in question appears to be a rear main bearing oil leak. Barr's is for radiator or other coolant leaks.

I had my rear main seal changed in my 95 Jeep. I was also switching oils alot when it leaked. Maybe swithing oil brands too much is not good. Now i use M1 5w-30, and no leaks. It cost $600!

heh...

When I use to own a jeep I just replaced it. It's quite common on the 4.0's.

You can just drop the oil pan and take it out. 2 piece seal! Just becareful when you replace the upper half - i ripped 2 of them trying to install them!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back