Help with theatre room layout...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Take a look at an SVS, Hsu, Epik, or eDesign sub. They all sell some very strong performers that won't break the bank. I plan to replace my BIC VK12 with an SVS PB-2000 or SB-2000 sometime soon.

BTW, OP: what kind of floors, ceiling, and walls do you have? (carpet, hardwood, laminate, drop ceiling, drywall, plaster, etc)

Originally Posted By: dparm
BTW, OP: what kind of floors, ceiling, and walls do you have? (carpet, hardwood, laminate, drop ceiling, drywall, plaster, etc)

Drywall floors and ceilings. The ceiling is 8' for the most part, except for a bit that drops down to 7' where the main duct runs. Floors are a berber carpet over concrete.

I've been eying the SVS B stock offerings the last couple days. They have a SV 2000 for $650. That's about what I'd have in DIY. I've not heard about the e-Design. I'll have to take a look.

I'm a bit all over the board on the DIY thing. Part of me says I should do it because it would be a cool experience, and I enjoy that sort of thing. But then I also realize that about everything I look at on AVS is probably overkill for my situation.

And in response to your other post. 0db might be reference level. I read about a 10 page discussion on the topic on AVS. I think the only possible consensus was that it was reference level on THX certified receivers. And it was very likely also reference level on Audessey systems. I can’t check either of those boxes with my AVR.

Last edited:
The SVS B-stock is a smart buy. I never seem to catch the sale fast enough before they get cleaned out.

Also, just checked and eDesign Audio closed its doors last year. What a shame.

I have an older cylinder SVS sub that used to be part of my HT setup. Now it's just rocking tunes in my basement, along with one other sub. Great product. But so is Hsu, Epik, Rythmic... too many choices, too little time.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: dparm
The SVS B-stock is a smart buy. I never seem to catch the sale fast enough before they get cleaned out.

Also, just checked and eDesign Audio closed its doors last year. What a shame.

Looks like Epik also shut down on Feb 21.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Im happy with the Hsu that I bought back in 2006 or so, FWIW.

Same here.

Well, I've got a little more time than I'd expected to decide on a sub. The tires on my truck were getting worn down, and I got the "your tires are worn out" from Discount Tire this AM.

Not unexpected, but I was hoping to make it a couple more months. Looks like I'll be buying those first now, then saving up for the sub (again).

Originally Posted By: TWG1572
dparm said:
I've been eying the SVS B stock offerings the last couple days. They have a SV 2000 for $650. That's about what I'd have in DIY. I've not heard about the e-Design. I'll have to take a look.

I'm a bit all over the board on the DIY thing. Part of me says I should do it because it would be a cool experience, and I enjoy that sort of thing. But then I also realize that about everything I look at on AVS is probably overkill for my situation.

While SVS makes great products (I've owned multiples over the last 14 years), if you are interested in DIY, check out this thread on AVS: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1516724/martysub-flatpacks

For similar money as the SVS 2000 you are looking at, the DIY sub will have a few db over an SVS Ultra. More than you need? Probably, but you can never have too much quality bass!

Originally Posted By: Zeus33

While SVS makes great products (I've owned multiples over the last 14 years), if you are interested in DIY, check out this thread on AVS: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1516724/martysub-flatpacks

For similar money as the SVS 2000 you are looking at, the DIY sub will have a few db over an SVS Ultra. More than you need? Probably, but you can never have too much quality bass!

Funny you mention that. I was actually going to build the martycube. Had the SI 18" ordered and everything. Then I started looking at sealed 15's using Erich's 3 cu ft flat packs. Then I got overwhelmed a bit, partially because the guys on that forum are overkill to the extreme. Everyone needs 8 18" subs in their room, that sort of thing.
crazy.gif
So I decided to take a step back and re-evaluate a bit. That's where I am today.

I don't mean to infer anything bad about the people at AVS. They've been helpful teaching me about subs. The reality is that most DIY forums are like that. People here are nutty about oil, I frequent a computer building forum where they are focused on processers and video cards. Its the nature of the beast.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TWG1572
Funny you mention that. I was actually going to build the martycube. Had the SI 18" ordered and everything. Then I started looking at sealed 15's using Erich's 3 cu ft flat packs. Then I got overwhelmed a bit, partially because the guys on that forum are overkill to the extreme. Everyone needs 8 18" subs in their room, that sort of thing.
crazy.gif
So I decided to take a step back and re-evaluate a bit. That's where I am today.

I don't mean to infer anything bad about the people at AVS. They've been helpful teaching me about subs. The reality is that most DIY forums are like that. People here are nutty about oil, I frequent a computer building forum where they are focused on processers and video cards. Its the nature of the beast.

Yeah, it can be overwhelming. You just have to be realistic about your needs and goals and try to stick to them. There is definitely LOTS of great info on AVS, but as you mentioned, you have to weed through the rest to get to it.

If you end up doing a Marty Cube or one of Erich's kits, you are pretty much guaranteed to never have to upgrade your sub again. Unless you move into a warehouse!

Let us know what you end up with and how you like it.

Good luck with the hunt!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back