Help with MS Access

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone on here know how to use MS Acsess? If so, read on. If not, you may as well just stop here cause this probably won't make any sense anyway.

First, some background. I am completely self taught at Access....through trial and error. No books, no lessons....nada. So even though I may be able to do some slightly advanced things there are still numerous basic things I have no idea about.

So, if this sounds like a beginners problem you now understand why I can't do it.

Anyway, I'm trying to build a DB for an exercise program. In it there will be several (perhaps up to 17) routines. Each routine is broken down into the workout days. Each workout day usually has around 5-8 exercises. So, it might look something like this:

Routine 1------------------------Routine 2
Monday--------------------------Monday
Squat----------------------------Squat
45 degree leg press------------Leg lift
Sitting Calf Raise---------------Sitting calf raise
Standing calf raise--------------Standing calf raise
Stiff leg Dead lift----------------leg curls

Make sense so far? As it is now, I can only build a single table with all of that info in it. It has all of the headers necessary but for the squat in routine 1 I have one record. For the squat in routine 2 I have another record....and so on. So I end up having to build a record for each and every single exercise for every day and every routine.

What I would like to do is build a set of tables which will allow me to enter the basic exercises with the pertinent info into it (things like amount of weight, how many sets and reps..) into one table and the workout days into another and routines into another and so on. This way I can have one record for squats that is then somehow linked to the other tables so that the same record is used for all routines which have the squat in it. This would even simplify updates. As it is now when you change the weight in routine 1 the weight in routine 2 isn't changed for the same exercise.

Man, for those of you who know Access well this probably seems so simple to you. Sorry to sound like a simpleton.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Mikie

Wow, even with all of the geeks...er I mean smart people
grin.gif
here no one has even bitten on this? Oh well. What sucks is that I tried the MS user forums and those guys pretty much laughed at me.

Mikie

I haven't worked with Access for several years, but it is indeed a relational database, albeit a simplistic one. So, you can create multiple tables. You need to use SQL (provided with Access) to manipulate the data within the tables and to develop the relationships amongst the fields. This requires some knowledge of db design and SQL programming, and the will to poke around and try things.

This sounds like an interesting challenge, but I don't have even a old version of MSAccess so I can't be more specific.

An easier approach would be to create an Excel spreadsheet with the data you desire. The columns could be the Routine & Day and the rows could be the Exercise Name. Each cell would contain the number of reps for that particular Exercise for a given Routine & Day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back