Help With 2007 Lexus IS 250 AWD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a friend who had an 07 Lex IS 250 AWD and in need of tires. I She lives in the town I work, Northeast with some snow issues but mainly rain and potholes are the issue. I went with Conti Pure Contact for my BMW 3 series AWD but she has the Conti DWS and is not happy with them. She has had some sidewall bubbles witht em and potholes.

Recommend me some tires boys! So far, I love my Conti PC and I have Behrn 17" lower profile rims....BUT I also came from run flats!

Pirelli P7

Will probably be my next tire.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=GTAS&width=225%2F&ratio=45&diameter=17&tireSearch=true&filter=y&autoMake=Lexus&autoYear=2007&autoModel=IS250&autoModClar=AWD

What size tires does she run on the IS? See if General RT43 is available in her size.

And if she's serious about winter handling, then take a look at Nokian WR3 also.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+Sport+All-Season+(W-Speed+Rated)&partnum=245WR7SASXL

if it were mine i would probably go with these ^
Im a Goodyear fan, always had great luck with them on my vehicles.

Last edited:
Size is 22545R17. She's looking for an all weather. She had the Conti DWS and said they got bubbles from hitting potholes....Made me cringe. I suggested the Conti Pure Contacts (I have them on my 328).

Thanks for the suggestions....Lexus dealership was holding her hostage and refusing to do her inspection due to 2 of her tires are worn. Now that is legitimate, but the part where they tell her $800 for 2 tires, and they are the only ones "good" for her Lexus is just wrong.

Ouch!

There is no way a dealer can force her to get tires from them unless they give them to her for free.

What inspection is this exactly?

NYS safety inspection. I have her going to a friends shop.

Based on Tirerack tests, the PureContacts have better wet traction/performance in the wet vs. the Pirelli P7s. If anything, I'd probably be more concerned with finding a local tire place that will warranty stuff like sidewall bubbles.

Does she make any effort to dodge the potholes? Is any tire brand more resistant to pothole damage than any other? Does she keep the inflation pressure up?

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Does she make any effort to dodge the potholes? Is any tire brand more resistant to pothole damage than any other? Does she keep the inflation pressure up?

Probably not to all questions posed.

going to recommend the continental dws. Found them online cheaper than the local tire dealer and they priced matched plus my military discount, I've hit a few pot holes and never had any bubbling. In my research I came across the bubbling issue and if i remember correctly the W (what mine are) speed rated versions do not have the bubbling problem.

I hope continental upgrades upon the existing tech with new additional tech for the dws. They could call it something like DWS 2 or DWS Plus.

Originally Posted By: brslds
going to recommend the continental dws. Found them online cheaper than the local tire dealer and they priced matched plus my military discount, I've hit a few pot holes and never had any bubbling. In my research I came across the bubbling issue and if i remember correctly the W (what mine are) speed rated versions do not have the bubbling problem.

I hope continental upgrades upon the existing tech with new additional tech for the dws. They could call it something like DWS 2 or DWS Plus.

? OP stated the GF was not happy with her current set of Conti DWS

Originally Posted By: rhhsiao

Just keep buying them until she's happy.
smile.gif

In all seriousness, I wasn't impressed with them either. Their winter traction is way overhyped, IMO. They are just barely passable in winter, even if your vehicle has AWD, like my wife's C300 did. If all you get is just light dusting and no ice, they'll get you through it. Apart from that, beware.

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
Thanks for the suggestions....Lexus dealership was holding her hostage and refusing to do her inspection due to 2 of her tires are worn. Now that is legitimate, but the part where they tell her $800 for 2 tires, and they are the only ones "good" for her Lexus is just wrong.

I' m sure that is selling tires at full manufacturer suggested retail price... which nobody should ever pay...!

We have dealers here who do the 4 tires for 3 "sale..." who sell at full msrp as well.

Costco prices can be less than 1/2 that ... !

And a 225/45/17 is just not enough sidewall for so so roads... but it LOOKS good...!

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: rhhsiao

Just keep buying them until she's happy.
smile.gif

In all seriousness, I wasn't impressed with them either. Their winter traction is way overhyped, IMO. They are just barely passable in winter, even if your vehicle has AWD, like my wife's C300 did. If all you get is just light dusting and no ice, they'll get you through it. Apart from that, beware.

I wasn't happy with it either. The first few thousands miles on dry road was okay, the first rain on highway it didn't perform as well as other cheaper tires on my E430. The other tires were okay at 80-85 MPH on wet surface, DWS could not go faster than 70-75 MPH without losing control because of hydroplaning.

It is up to a point that I would not have it even if it is free.

Well, she ended up going with the Pure Contact I originally steered her toward. The fact I have them on my BMW and she read a lot of good reviews on consumer reports as well as a few other places she found. She hasn't driven them much but said she likes em, and the price was more than agreeable.

BUT I don't want to bash the other Conti's. Both passenger side rims were slightly bent/outa round. Not a lot, but I'm sure this is what made the difference in her "poor" tire performance. I know it sure did cause uneven wear. And we all KNOW what causes this phenomena on the passenger side; Those curbs that keep moving as your driving.

Originally Posted By: Ken2

If you dont live in the tristate area it would be difficult to understand. There are just way to many potholes to miss all of them. The roads are terrible

there's like a kazillion choices in that size. from conti to BFG to michelin to bridgestone. yokohama has a few as well. so then it becomes a question of how she drives and what she prefers. Yokohama IMO has always made a really decent all-season with handling bias. I've never been let down by bridgestone. Michelin is a no-brainer if the cost is ok to you, though I've really only been pleased with their softer offerings that are spent at 30k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back