HD introduces 2 new bikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently Harley has expanded in India. Building a plant to build and expand the brand in that region of the world.It will be interesting to see how the smaller bikes are excepted worldwide.They may not be physicaly assembled in the US, but the Harley name will be on them.,,

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
There are laws for cars that have to state what % of their content is domestic, and what % is foreign made. But nothing for motorcycles. Only the package the parts come in as your guide. As far as why Harley's are so popular,there a stable brand. They don't come out with new and improved models every other year. You would think all the hype the metrics come out with would out sell Harley ,but they don't. The metric makers change models and designs too often to make then classics. Their popularity drops as fast as their value.Honda ,Kawasaki, and Suzuki all took a run at building bigger ,badder bikes then what Harley was selling, only to drop them from the line up after lousy sales.When you have warehouses full of 2 and 3 year old unsold bikes, what does that tell you about all the " better technology"?.It's funny when a brand thinks a cheap price will sell vehicles, and they fall flat on their face. Even Victory and the new and improved "Indian" brands haven't unseated the undisputed king of motorcycles, Harley. Anything else is just a wannabe.,,

You always use this argument and the only thing it proves is that it's a good thing for Harley that most of their customers are brain dead Kool-Aid drinkers who are only interested in the name on the gas tank...

It's funny I've never heard anyone brag saying, my bike looks and sounds just like a suzuki.Except maybe you?.,,,

I've never heard anyone brag about almost being able to keep up with a Corolla either...

There is not one perfect car or motorcycle that meet everyone's needs and wants. Please do not put down another persons choice just because you happen to favor a different brand. If you can not say something complimentary or constructive then do not post.

Helen

I'm not too terribly concerned with the Indian origin.

You want a monocoque steel body shifter scooter?
stella-2-stroke-L.jpg

India

You want a brand new retro "Brit-Bike" single?
Royal%20Enfield%20Continental%20GT%20%202.jpg

India

I don't own either.

I've ridden the 2 stroke Stella and I can say for certain that it rides as good as any shifter scooter from Italy or Spain that I ever rode.

Seems to be superior to Chinese bikes in build quality.

Originally Posted By: grampi
It's funny I've never heard anyone brag saying, my bike looks and sounds just like a suzuki.Except maybe you?.,,,

I've never heard anyone brag about almost being able to keep up with a Corolla either...

Grampi, There are cars that are superior to the Corolla, yet you drive one. How is that any different than the people that ride Harleys?

Indian built Royal Enfields are not known for durability or reliability so its a poor choice to inspire confidence in that nations manufacturing capabilities. About the only worse bike in the usa is a Ural.

Originally Posted By: whip

Grampi, There are cars that are superior to the Corolla, yet you drive one. How is that any different than the people that ride Harleys?

Because the Corolla isn't 2 or 3 times more expensive than the cars in it's class...

Because the Corolla isn't 2 or 3 times more expensive than the cars in it's class...

Harley Davidsons aren't either. You're showing your lack of knowledge when you say they are 2-3 times more expensive. Have you priced a Goldwing or GTL from BMW? In some cases, the HD is actually cheaper.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Indian built Royal Enfields are not known for durability or reliability so its a poor choice to inspire confidence in that nations manufacturing capabilities. About the only worse bike in the usa is a Ural.

Yeah, the old cast iron and lean burn Royal Enfields were....well, bad knockoffs of English engines. The English engines had a lot of.....ahem, character to begin with and the Indians did not improve a thing.

The Unit construction engine is supposedly better constructed and up to modern standards. I hope it is.

I just wish the [darn] thing was more affordable. It's the closest thing to a brand new Yamaha SRX6, or Honda GB500 I can find. A modern BSA GoldStar that has the shifter on the left side of the engine, an electrical system that doesn't self destruct, and good brakes. Just wish it didn't cost nearly as much as a Yamaha Bolt.

The LML manufactured 2 stroke Stella was better in some aspects than a genuine Italian Vespa PX. I don't know how the 4 strokes are yet. The engine is allegedly a Daelim design. Daelim is (or was) the Korean supplier to Honda.

I was impressed by the 2 stroke Stella. As much fun as a hot-tub full of Stepford Wives....as long as that hot-tub doesn't need to exceed 55mph for very long.

These bikes, IMHO, are a good thing to have in the marketplace. Whether anyone chooses to accept it or not, H-D has a TON of R&D know-how. No matter where the bike is built, if it is a lousy design and poorly engineered, it will be a lousy bike. If it is a good design, there is a fighting chance that it will be a good bike, regardless of the country of origin. Surely H-D will have strict QA/QC measures in place in any off-shore MoCo owned facilities, so the product will likely be representative of the design goal, however enigmatic that design goal may be to some people, myself included.

Not a huge MoCo fan here, but irrational loyalty to the brand is equally as annoying as irrational detest for the brand.

Originally Posted By: WANG
Not a huge MoCo fan here, but irrational loyalty to the brand is equally as annoying as irrational detest for the brand.

Well said. I'm not a loyalist to any brand. I enjoy all motorcycles, and I wish others were like that.

Harley Davidsons aren't either. You're showing your lack of knowledge when you say they are 2-3 times more expensive. Have you priced a Goldwing or GTL from BMW? In some cases, the HD is actually cheaper.

Corollas compare quite favorably to the other vehicles in it's class/price range...HDs don't...

Corollas compare quite favorably to the other vehicles in it's class/price range...HDs don't...

I've never seen the Corolla win any magazine comparison test. Usually, the Civic, Mazda3, or even the Focus finish ahead of it. It's an inferior car compared to it's competition. Does it do it's job well? Yes. Just like Harley Davidson.

Originally Posted By: hr1940
There is not one perfect car or motorcycle that meet everyone's needs and wants. Please do not put down another persons choice just because you happen to favor a different brand. If you can not say something complimentary or constructive then do not post.

Helen

grampi, You do remember this post, right.....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: endeavor to persevere
Originally Posted By: hr1940

Helen

grampi, You do remember this post, right.....

Why is this directed only at me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back