HD introduces 2 new bikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet these bikes won't have the "soul" of a large twin-cam, evolution, shovel head, knuckle head, pan head or flat head engined bike.

This is my opinion only!!

Originally Posted By: Mik
soul is a very subjective thing.... often equated with lack of refinement......

Sometimes "lack of refinement" can be a good thing....

Agreed there should be more potential in the engine. I bet its relatively low compression. I bet some better pistons, a good ECM tune, free flowing exhaust and air filter and some cams should put it up around 80hp. Only thing is that to do it will cost big bucks versus hotrodding the other entrance model...the Sportster 883.

But the power potential is light years ahead of the 883..... relatively short stroke, liquid-cooling, 4-valve heads, DOHC..... the 883 is still in the stone age.....

True it is since the current sporty platform is almost 30 years old and air cooled.

However, it will expensive to "hot rod" the new engines in comparison, atleast for a while. You can turn a 48hp Sporty into a 75hp Sporty pretty cheap. To get another 30hp out of the new bikes, will cost significantly more I am guessing. That was my point. Bang for the buck. I look forward to seeing what people do with what I am basically calling the "Baby V rod" engines.

Last edited:
I'd be very excited about these bikes if not for the India connection. Will they come clean readily about USA manufactured content? There is lots to like although the low power level makes it less exciting. If the motor is all India, or all assembled in USA of India made parts, they've lost me. If the motor is fun to ride, is torquey, reliable and shifts well, maybe it'll fly. The dealers are a large part of these bikes success. They now have to sell what they've long claimed their bikes aren't

My belief is that they walk a fine line steering riders who buy these into big twins or Sportsters, and not into large metric cruisers. This is why these bikes need to be distinguishable from and offer something the bikes they compete with don't. I'm afraid they won't stand out and that H-D thinks their name is all it takes to make them special.

Someone explained this offering succinctly: "finally a bike that Sportster owners can laugh at"

Harley has not had enough US parts count to put "Made in America" on bikes for a while. As for availability in the states, yes, they will be on the showroom floor next year. Pricing I saw was about 6,500 dollars for the 500 and 7,500 for the 750. So its a little cheaper than an Iron 883 which is right at 8,000 last I checked. It will have slightly more power, another gear, and less weight than the sporty as well as better suspension.

I am guessing they will be "assembled in the USA". I can not see anyway that engines can be made in the USA and have them keep the price less than a Honda Shadow 750, which they are doing. But its still american workmen/women putting them together and doing the quality control. Id wait to see if any teething problems come up the first year though.

Last edited:
I am seeing the remake of the Buel blast here. Under powered, no cool factor, entry level brakes, cheap suspension, made in a third world country. Hyosung with a HD name plate, yeeeehaaaa. HD people will not accept them. The only thing HD can make and sell is overpriced fifty year old technology in the form of a fashion/status statement....just sayin

Originally Posted By: ddtmoto
I am seeing the remake of the Buel blast here. Under powered, no cool factor, entry level brakes, cheap suspension, made in a third world country. Hyosung with a HD name plate, yeeeehaaaa. HD people will not accept them. The only thing HD can make and sell is overpriced fifty year old technology in the form of a fashion/status statement....just sayin

Well, the Sportster is an old design, but a good one. Very dependable and durable. I would take it over the new water cooled bikes.

Originally Posted By: ddtmoto

Cool is pretty much in the eye of the beholder. For instance, as I scanned your list of bikes, not one there appeals to me as cool, but I do know your GSXR and DRZ are highly respected mounts.
These bikes are primarily designed to compete in export markets at a specific price point. The Moto Guzzi V7 (very cool, lol) the Ducati Monster and the small metric cruisers from Asia come to mind. As goes with the price, you can forget the Ohlins, Nissin, Michelin's etc.
As far as outdated technology, I just sold my XLCR (way cool) but any late model HD is far more reliable, capable and functional for many riders. That's why they sell a lot of them.
Might not be your bag, but I'd love to get a spin on the 750 just for grins.

Last edited:
My opinion may be different from most, but I have not seen a single Harley in the last 10 years that excites me.

I must add that I am a Harley rider of over 25 years. I currently have a 2002 FXDLi Softail Duece. I still have it because I don't see anything that they have made that makes me want to replace it. In my opinion, 95% of their new bikes are "retro based". The only bikes they seem to have left alone and I would consider is the full dressers. This is only my opinion, but they messed up the Dyna Wide Glide, way too many Sportster models - most of which are some sort of retro style. Don't get me wrong, they shuold offer retro styling to cater to that crowd - but just step in a HD dealership and darn near everything is ugly old school retro. Harley needs to MOVE FORWARD on styling with new models while keeping the older established models in tact. They don't even offer a decent regular Softail anymore - they are all roadking/heritage looking bikes.

I will keep my 02 until I am ready for a Dresser. They can keep these old looking carnival ride metal flake painted and pinstriped old school bikes...Willie G is showing his age and time to replace him.

The only Harley that excited me in 10 years was the XR1200 - they made a Harley that handled, and then killed it.

Originally Posted By: Silk
The only Harley that excited me in 10 years was the XR1200 - they made a Harley that handled, and then killed it.

Agreed, the XR was a sweet motorcycle....shame it was so short-lived........ Would love to see them build an XR based on the V-Rod engine (with an effort to keep weight in check).... now THAT would be nice (though it likely wouldn't sell either, at least to their traditional client base, though it could bring some non-Harley buyers over)

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
My opinion may be different from most, but I have not seen a single Harley in the last 10 years that excites me.

I must add that I am a Harley rider of over 25 years. I currently have a 2002 FXDLi Softail Duece. I still have it because I don't see anything that they have made that makes me want to replace it. In my opinion, 95% of their new bikes are "retro based". The only bikes they seem to have left alone and I would consider is the full dressers. This is only my opinion, but they messed up the Dyna Wide Glide, way too many Sportster models - most of which are some sort of retro style. Don't get me wrong, they shuold offer retro styling to cater to that crowd - but just step in a HD dealership and darn near everything is ugly old school retro. Harley needs to MOVE FORWARD on styling with new models while keeping the older established models in tact. They don't even offer a decent regular Softail anymore - they are all roadking/heritage looking bikes.

I will keep my 02 until I am ready for a Dresser. They can keep these old looking carnival ride metal flake painted and pinstriped old school bikes...Willie G is showing his age and time to replace him.

I don't like some of the new styling either. The newer Street Bob has an ugly (to me) chopped rear fender. I'll keep my 2007 until it wears out or I can't ride anymore.

Originally Posted By: Silk

Agree. I also liked the 883 Roadster.

It's a sad insight to Harley's customer base - stopping, and going around corners is not on their list of requirements. Cruisers only please, none of that leaning over stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back