Havoline, Valvoline, or Pennzoil 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have an 07 Honda that I have been running the Havoline 5w20 Deposit Shield with Purolator filters every 3000 miles. Just bought another 08 Honda, both are 4 cylinders, and wondering if I should continue what I have been doing. This Havoline oil is pretty new, so just not sure long term. Plus I have been seeing a lot of Pennzoil and Valvoline ads lately both pushing that each are the best. Does anyone have any opinions?

All these oils are undoubtedly excellent and if you were to do UOAs on all three they might be indistinguishable.

One thing I would say is that there is no need to do 3k change intervals. You can take a bit of the money you save and do an occasional used oil analysis, which will give you the confidence to extend the intervals, and also give you information about your engine's health.

I would pick one (personally, I'd pick the Pennzoil), run it 5k miles, do a UOA, and use the information gathered to further extend the drain intervals if possible. I truly think most engines will happily go 7500 miles on a basic SM conventional oil and last 200k+ miles that way.

Originally Posted By: glennc
All these oils are undoubtedly excellent and if you were to do UOAs on all three they might be indistinguishable.

One thing I would say is that there is no need to do 3k change intervals. You can take a bit of the money you save and do an occasional used oil analysis, which will give you the confidence to extend the intervals, and also give you information about your engine's health.

I would pick one (personally, I'd pick the Pennzoil), run it 5k miles, do a UOA, and use the information gathered to further extend the drain intervals if possible. I truly think most engines will happily go 7500 miles on a basic SM conventional oil and last 200k+ miles that way.

I completely agree. What does Honda recommend for OCI?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oldmaninsc

I completely agree. What does the Honda owners manual state for OCI?

It goes by the Maintenance Minder system, which is Honda's version of the GM Oil Life Monitor.

The maintenance minder in my CR-V would take about 9000 miles to tell me it is time for an oil change. I have a difficult time swallowing that with regular oil?

Originally Posted By: TYVOLS
The maintenance minder in my CR-V would take about 9000 miles to tell me it is time for an oil change. I have a difficult time swallowing that with regular oil?

Engine oil can last a very long time depending on the operating conditions. GM has been going up to 12,500 between services on their vehicles for many years now. Many of us are just so used to short service intervals in North America.

Todays regular oil is very good. 5w-20 is a blend anyway so Honda knows what they are doing.

I'd trust both the OLM/MM and 5w-20 "regular" oil.

Take care and
welcome2.gif

Bill

I think Motorcraft 5w20 would be a better choice. It is very reasonably priced and is better than conventional alone as it is a syn blend. It is sold at WalMart and almost anywhere.

P.S. Please do longer OCI's than 3k or you are just wasting oil. At least do 5-7.5k and most can go almost 10k on average. I do 6k myself so I change the filter and oil at the same time.

Last edited:
Definitely use the Maintenance Minder and save some dough! No need to waste resources! Oh and any name brand 5w20 will work. I currenly have Valvoline 5w20 in my new Focus. Not because I am a Valvoline Junkie, but because it was on sale!

I sure wish all new cars came with a similiar setup...

Last edited:
I think the Mobil Clean 5w20 should be thrown in there. It looks pretty good in the couple UOA's I have seen.

On a side note with the Mobil Clean, I don't know if I like the Sodium being in there. Not that is causes any problems, but if you are looking for a coolant leak, it may be a little tricky. But, besides that, I would say Mobil Clean is just as good or better than any of the three 5w20's previously stated.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

Todays regular oil is very good. 5w-20 is a blend anyway so Honda knows what they are doing.

I'd trust both the OLM/MM and 5w-20 "regular" oil.

Take care and
welcome2.gif

Bill

Isn't Pennzoil YB a blend in the 5w and 10w/30? It's a grp II+ correct? Isn't it the only brand that is grp Ii+ outside the 5w20 realm?

Based on uoas I go with Pennzoil or Mobil Clean 5000 in my Acura since my Walmart carries both for around 2 bucks a quart. Also wanted to say GO VOLS.

I use havoline or pennzoil whichever costs less at the time. Both are great oils that had better specs than valvoline last time I checked but you likely wouldnt be able to discern a difference between them without getting a UOA. I just went 8k miles in my van on conventional pennzoil and the oil was medium brown in color on the dipstick and when the oil was wiped and dried on the rag it looked light brown so in my case it had plenty of good oil left. There are people here who have gone 9-10k miles on conventional oil without problems so you can certainly switch to 5k oci's which is what honda recommends anyway.

If you would have seen the oil coming out of my cars last week, you'd have thought I was abusing them. In 5.5 months one did about 1500 miles, the other 3800. Both looked as dark as you could get without calling it jet black. I would put my faith in an oil minder over my sixth sense. Absent of those, I just have to trust the twice-a-year or mileage limits.

BTW, those choices all taste the same.
LOL.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back