Havoline 5W-20 in 05' HEMI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up some of the SM havoline, and it doesn't mention if meets the Chrysler MS 6395 standard. I've heard a lot of good things about havoline dino, but does anyone know if it is OK to use with 05 chrysler engines that call for 5w-20? Any info on this would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I downloaded the PDS online, but can't seem to locate it at the moment, so I took a "snapshot" of it and posted it on photobucket. It appears to meet the Chrysler spec:

-

Mike

You're going to have to stick with the 5W20 for the MDS to function right. This system uses oil psi to activate and deactivate the lifters.

quote:

Originally posted by 99:
You're going to have to stick with the 5W20 for the MDS to function right. This system uses oil psi to activate and deactivate the lifters.

Is there a specific caution from Chrysler to that effect? If not, I don't think you can make such a broad statement without knowing more. Many hydraulic systems (and MDS actuation would qualify as one) have fairly substantial tolerance for pressure deviation. Many aircraft hydraulic systems have specs like 3000 psi +/- 300 psi, or ~10% variance allowed. If the MDS is similar, then the viscosity differences between, a 20 and 30 wt oil simply could not generate enough variation in pressure to have much impact, if any, on system operation.

quote:

Originally posted by Michael Wan:
I downloaded the PDS online, but can't seem to locate it at the moment, so I took a "snapshot" of it and posted it on photobucket. It appears to meet the Chrysler spec:

-

Mike

Unless I'm misreading this, it appears that only the 5W-30 meets the MS6395 spec...no mention of the 5W-20.

quote:

Unless I'm misreading this, it appears that only the 5W-30 meets the MS6395 spec...no mention of the 5W-20.

That was my take on it
dunno.gif
Only the 5w-30 meets the DC spec.

The authentication date on that Havoline blurb was January, 2005 and may have actually been written several months earlier before Chrysler's adoption of 5W-20 use. None of us (including me) can confirm it, but I suspect Chevron's two 5W-20 API "SM" products (Chevron Supreme & Havoline) are fully formulated at this time to meet Chrysler's current specification*. It's not uncommon for oil blenders to update their products periodically as necessary between major published spec. changes.

*discounting the API's temporary relaxation for all oil companies's service standards because of the disruptions caused by the gulf storms that was announced on Lube Report's website a couple of weeks ago

Thank you for the replies, I'm trying to stock up on pre-Katrina oil, so far both of the cases I bought are dated 4/05 and 6/05, so they should be good. Just to let some of you know, there have been posts on other forums about dino 5W-30 not allowing the MDS to activate, so the 5W-20 spec is appropriate. However, mobil 1 5w-30 seems to function fine with MDS due to its relative thiness.

quote:

Just to let some of you know, there have been posts on other forums about dino 5W-30 not allowing the MDS to activate,

I find this comment to be curious...

If this MDS system functions purely on viscosity, is it inoperative in the 10-15 minutes warm-up period, during cold temperatures, when both 5W-20's and 5W-30's are of a similar thickness and in the 200-400 cSt range?

quote:

Originally posted by Blue99:

quote:

Just to let some of you know, there have been posts on other forums about dino 5W-30 not allowing the MDS to activate,

I find this comment to be curious...

If this MDS system functions purely on viscosity, is it inoperative in the 10-15 minutes warm-up period, during cold temperatures, when both 5W-20's and 5W-30's are of a similar thickness and in the 200-400 cSt range?

I don't know the details that well, it only turns on between 50 and 80mph though, so it warms pretty quickly anyway especially if you were in a garage initially. And the comments on other forums were not substantiated by any other means than consistently worse highway gas mileage. The owners manual does stress the importance of 5w-20 for the MDS though.

I don't know. Just telling you what I've heard circulating around the Hemi forums via my buddy who owns a Hemi Charger. He's not wild about having to use a 20wt but the general concensus among the Hemi-whores is that that's what has to be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back