Havoline 10W40 In A VQ30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since this car was new (I bought it that way) I've run either a 5W30 or a 10W30,as is called for by the owner's manual.

It's now almost 11 years old and has just under 105K miles.

I've always changed the oil at between 2500 and 3000 miles, never, except on an exceedingly rare occasion, to exceed 3000 miles, and even then no more than 3500 tops.

I've gone back and forth b/t conventionals and synthetics and determined that with my anal-retentive OCI, the synthetics are just a waste of money. So, for the most part, I stick with conventional and with my fastidiuos OCI.

This is a 1999 Nissan Maxima with a VQ30DE V6. These things are quite well known for some level of motor noise, primarily due to timing chain clatter.

I recently took a chance at altering the viscocity of the oil I use and am currently running Havoline 10W40 instead of the 10W30 or 5W30.

I'm acually liking it. The motor seems a tad quiter and a tad smoother.

This an all aluminum V6 with, like I said right under 105K miles.

Anyone, more in the know than I, have any qualms about using the Havline 10W40 in this motor?

By the way, this is an always has been a Florida car... Tampa Bay area to be exact.

I personally don't like the spread of a Dino 10w-40. If I was looking at a 40wt oil, I'd go for one of the excellent 5w-40 oils and not be as short on the oci.

At 2500 mi ocis, I think you'll be fine though...

Myself and some of my courier friends all use Mobile 1. My boss went a million miles on Mobile 1synthetic on a standard v8 Ford van, not a diesel. Another friend of mine never changes his Mobil 1, he pulls the filter and adds oil only and doesnt have problems, with many many miles on his van, go figure. Me personally,,I pull my Mobile one out at 10,000 and use the high mileage filter to boot with the synthetic oil

I`m running Valvoline dino 10W40 in my Nissan VG. This weight seems perfect! Z32`s actuall came with a sticker under the hood that says under 70F use 10W30 and over 70F use 10W40 (USDM versions).

In mid Florida with a car with over 100k on it, you should have no problems with your 10-40. It will shear down a bit , anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back