Have you ever owned a convertible?

Two Miatas
96 BMW 328
2000 MB CLK 430
14 MB E350 current.
Like others I don't like driving it in traffic or the heat. Most driving is in the country and mtns where I live. This convertible is so refined that you can drive with the top down and windows up and not even mess your hair. It will even blow hot air on your neck in cool weather top down driving. With the top up, it's almost as quiet as a sedan.

no
I get sunstroke easily, so the closest I get is a sunroof.

Closest I got to owning one was renting a black MB drop top in the late 00's in SoCal.

'83 Nissan Z with T tops. Wonderful in the mountains. Not so great anywhere else. Seemed the sun was always shining in your eyes.

Yes.

I bought my wife the SL600 about two years ago. She’s always wanted a “fun car” - two seat, convertible, sports car. She’s earned it after we got six kids through college, while she worked two jobs and took care of kids and household.

I wanted her to be safe.

So, she’s got a two seat convertible with:

great handling (active suspension)
awesome brakes (8 piston calipers up front four piston rear)
incredible performance (twin turbo V-12)

While also being protected by every safety system imaginable, including airbags, stability control, roll bar (that deploys instantly if retracted and a rollover is sensed).

It “converts” in 20 seconds. Hands off, just hold the switch on the center console and over a dozen hydraulic actuators move everything. Top down - it’s awesome. The screen behind the cockpit keeps the wind noise and buffeting down to a minimum. Which means you can have a conversation, and her hair won’t get messed up, when cruising at 60-70 with the top down.

The full metal roof means it’s a quiet cruiser with the top up. It’s a coupe. It’s tight. Quiet. Secure when you park.

Absolutely the best of both worlds in that car.
IMG_9897.jpeg

My first and only convertible purchased new was a 1971 Fiat 124 Spider with a 1.6 DOHC engine making all of 96 horsepower. Sounds meager but the car only weighed about 2,100 pounds. Not fast, but it handled like a go kart and could easily rev to 6,500-6,800 rpm. It was known for its manual convertible top that could be raised or lowered with one hand from the driver's seat. Fix It Again Tony never applied to my car. Oil of choice back then was Castrol GTX 20w-50 with mostly Lee Maxi oil filters. Pictured below is the burgundy color of mine, not the exact vehicle. Mine had the Cromadora alloy wheels.

1971 Fiat 124 Spider.jpg

Last edited:
Yes.

I bought my wife the SL600 about two years ago. She’s always wanted a “fun car” - two seat, convertible, sports car. She’s earned it after we got six kids through college, while she worked two jobs and took care of kids and household.

I wanted her to be safe.

So, she’s got a two seat convertible with:

great handling (active suspension)
awesome brakes (8 piston calipers up front four piston rear)
incredible performance (twin turbo V-12)

While also being protected by every safety system imaginable, including airbags, stability control, roll bar (that deploys instantly if retracted and a rollover is sensed).

It “converts” in 20 seconds. Hands off, just hold the switch on the center console and over a dozen hydraulic actuators move everything. Top down - it’s awesome. The screen behind the cockpit keeps the wind noise and buffeting down to a minimum. Which means you can have a conversation, and her hair won’t get messed up, when cruising at 60-70 with the top down.

The full metal roof means it’s a quiet cruiser with the top up. It’s a coupe. It’s tight. Quiet. Secure when you park.

Absolutely the best of both worlds in that car. View attachment 173971
It don’t get much better...

In order of ownership:
1970 Oldsmobile 442 (it cured me of GM ownership, no offense intended)
Triumph TR-4a
Triumph Spitfire (2 of them, (‘78 and an ‘80)
Jaguar e-type (2 of them , a ‘70 and a ‘67)

Z

We’ve owned one in my lifetime a 1977 Alfa Romeo Spider. And I was really small so not sure if it counts. I don’t really like convertibles I’m an air conditioning type of guy. I can’t stand the windows or sunroof being open. I almost got a convertible Beetle but my teacher decided to keep that one and sell the one I have now.

My brother had a bugeye Sprite. Neat little ride.
The bugeye started my love affair with British cars. I was going to school outside Asheville NC in 1963, and a fellow gave me a ride in his. Running those mountain roads, top down and little engine screaming, I was smitten.

My first and only convertible purchased new was a 1971 Fiat 124 Spider with a 1.6 DOHC engine making all of 96 horsepower. Sounds meager but the car only weighed about 2,100 pounds. Not fast, but it handled like a go kart and could easily rev to 6,500-6,800 rpm. It was known for its manual convertible top that could be raised or lowered with one hand from the driver's seat. Fix It Again Tony never applied to my car. Oil of choice back then was Castrol GTX 20w-50 with mostly Lee Maxi oil filters. Pictured below is the burgundy color of mine, not the exact vehicle. Mine had the Cromadora alloy wheels.

View attachment 173974
Those were beautiful cars.

The '77 MG Midget in my signature. Rescued from a friend's garage where it languished for many years after it broke down on him. The first brief drive after I got it running I had a huge grin, it's like a street-legal go-kart.

My '98 Wrangler Sahara is my first convertible (bought it in 2018). I've been in other convertibles, and they all aren't great noise-wise on the highway, with the exception being the BMW hard top convertibles. With that said, the days you are able to drive with the top down are a great experience. I probably put less than 6000 miles a year on my Wrangler, as it is a nice day toy that spends most of its time in the garage, but nothing beats it on an 80+ degree day driving down a nice country road.

This is how it looks most days, and the top comes down on nicer days. The doors are somewhere in the basement. :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• IMG_5825.jpg
    IMG_5825.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 5
Back