Hastings vs Federated Auto Parts Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: engineer20
Is it similar to a fram orange can or better?

Just what are you trying to decide with all these comparison questions in multiple threads?

Engineer, get a rattle can of orange paint and spray it orange, I bet you can't tell the difference between the two filters.

Ya, I know, you'll need to ask which brand of orange spray paint is better, and which will hold up better to the heat of your engine, and, and, and, and,and............................................................................................................................

On an unrelated note, for ngk spark plugs, why should I choose the ix rather than the laser which is oem? Do the ix give me better fuel economy?

Because my car has used federated for a long time and I wanna know if I should live in regret over it since I don't like fram orange cans

Why don't you like the orange cans? Is it because they are orange? How about the silver ones made by the same company. I once saw a black filter made by the same company, wonder if it would be any good, but maybe because it was black you couldn't find it easily under the engine.

Back to the orange color, would it be better dark orange or would be better light orange?

You state your car has used federated for a long time, just what is a long time? Has it used federated for over a year? Has it been over two years? Has it become addicted to federated being as it has used it for a long time. Has your car done this all on its own? Or have you helped it along the way?

On an unrelated note, for ngk spark plugs, why should I choose the ix rather than the laser which is oem? Do the ix give me better fuel economy?

I would use the ix as it has more letters on it and that may make for a better plug. Remember laser is only a name someone dreamed up, it may melt a hole in the top of the piston with its laser beam.

Whatever, thanks for the non serious replies. And no, I'm not a filtercist, I don't judge a filter by its color, I judge it by how well it does its job! The white wix is just the same as the black wix except for the color.

Go buy a filter that you know the efficiency rating of if you want to feel like it's doing a good job of filtering. How much are you willing to spend, and how long are your OCIs?

Whatever, thanks for the non serious replies. And no, I'm not a filtercist, I don't judge a filter by its color, I judge it by how well it does its job! The white wix is just the same as the black wix except for the color.

The non serious replies will continue as long as you post nonsensical questions.

BTW where did that word "filtercist" come from, you have a special dictionary?

These are not nonsensical questions, isn't that what this site is all about? Asking questions about oil and oil filters?

Filtercist, self explanatory, it's a sensitive topic so I won't discuss it any further

These are not nonsensical questions, isn't that what this site is all about? Asking questions about oil and oil filters?

Filtercist, self explanatory, it's a sensitive topic so I won't discuss it any further

Go back and review your posts, question after question, is this better, is that better, how about this, how about that, does this do this does this do that over and over, then to posting the same questions on various forums, over and over again. There seems to be no end to your indecisions and uncertainly.

Yes this site is about asking questions, it's also about giving advice and the OP following the advice, which you seem to be unable to do, at least it seems that way by your posts.

To take it further, reread some of the replies to your endless questions.

Now you make up words, unbelievable, but then maybe not, but then again, but wait....................

My question remains unanswered. How does the federated compare to a fram orange can? Is it better? Is it better than stp or champs labs ecores?

The are all made by Fram and their subsidiary Champion labs. Do a little research, you have Google same as anyone else, took me less than 2 minutes to source this info out.

I did but didn't find much about federated filters

My suggestion is go with a good known brand name filter. "Federated" is obviously a spin-off brand name made by Hastings - at least that's what the OP said.

Again ... how long are your OCIs? That will tell you what filters to focus on.

i opened up a federated, i used a coping saw i recently bought (the guy at meijer suggested it'd work to cut open a hastings filter) and it had only 30 something pleats, similar to a fram, but it did have a legit antidrawback valve, it seems slightly better than a fram orange but in the same league, and when i opened it up for a 2700 OCI, some of the pleats weren't straight and were bent, whereas i opened up the mighty filter on the taurus the quick lube used and it was a 6k oci on conventional (yes, went over) and none of the pleats were bent/collapsed and it had like 60 something, way more media, and the adbv was also black or rubber rather than the red/silicone that the motorcraft uses, which is what i put on the taurus

so it seems you get what you pay for, the quick lube place servicing the taurus cost 35 dollars and the filter was a mighty, which i heard was similar to s purolator and it held up well, despite going over the normal OCI!

whereas, for a short OCI, the federated OCI didn't hold up as well, it did its job, and it wasn't entirely collapsed, but you started seeing some of the pleats collapsing/not working and it had less media, but it had a coil spring, and no carboard end caps, so its "better" than a fram, albeit not by much

it's not a fram, but it's in the same tier as fram, "better" than fram, but still, not many pleats/filter area

but it doesn't have carboard endcaps and the spring is a coil spring, so that's good and it has a good antidrainback valve, it's shortchanged in terms of media area, but it's sturdier than a fram, so i guess i's ok for a 3k oci since it has metal end caps, but it's got the media area of a fram, but not the endcaps/drainbackvalve/spring of the fram, it's got the metal and the coil spring, so that's an upgrade from the fram, but it's simliar in media area to the fram, and doesn't have many pleats

is 30 something pleats enough or is that not good enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back