Harbor Freight Tools

Status
Not open for further replies.
I probably should keep my nose out of it, but I didn't really see JHZR2 trashing vet status. Maybe he came off on Jcwit a little harsh, but Jcwit does basically cheerlead HF. I do see where JHZR2 is coming from.

Not at anyone in particular, but I do know a lot of people who maybe get their income tax-payer supported and have the mentally of "I got mind" and have no concern for others' jobs. Now that the manufacturing jobs and tax base is going away, so is their teaching, police, fire etc job and it's not so funny now. I'm not saying that is necessarily relevent to here and buying HF tools, but I do get where he's coming from.

Basically jcwit said he doesn't care or can't care about supporting us manufactured tools, so that should be the end of it. I'm not sure why anyone would be offended? Maybe a misunderstanding on both sides? I just don't like how jcwit seems to sweep any criticism of HF from quality to where its manufactured under the rug JMO.

I don't think I have a problem per se with the point JHZR2 is making. USA jobs, economy, and purchasing USA equipped items that hare manufactured here are all good, patriotic things to do.

When someone condescendingly states that someone else's choice to do something different, especially vocalizing that the person is somehow receiving the benefit because he has a good, well-paying USA job and implies that his tax money helps pay for the benefit check the other member is receiving, then that takes it to an entirely different level of discussion.

There is no honor in that kind of debate. I'd rather we look to positive ways to assist others.

I work with too many disabled people, perhaps. What you are saying is true - MANY do consider their disability check to be just some gift of society and do not attempt to better their employment status. But, MANY do not.

I'm glad you are a voice of reason, which you typically are in BITOG threads. Maybe this will help end the side show.

We all know, in an ideal world, that the vast population here would purchase products, especially tools, from good manufacturers here. I know I would. I do in many cases. But, sometimes we can't or cannot justify it. I don't think anyone makes that point or statement with pride.

Contrary to the OP's opinion, and as previously mentioned, not everything HF sells is 'junk'. Even some of those changing the topic to, HF takes jobs overseas to China (which inevitably seems to happen with virtually all HF threads here), have also admittedly purchased product(s) from HF when it suited there needs and/or requirements.

I buy HF hands tools with a lifetime warranty, some/many that I only use occasionally, and wouldn't be cost effective to buy elsewhere, paying significantly more with the same warranty. If it breaks (none have yet), store is close enough I'd take it back and get a new one. I have Craftsman tools too, many for a long time and have given them as gifts. If I used all my tools professionally, might not choose HF first for some hand tools.

As for the OP's new kick saw issue, if it was purchased within 90 days, he could take it back to HF get his money back.
21.gif

As for China syndrome, if your ideology prevents you from shopping at HF, cool. Don't think others that do though, for whatever reason, should be criticized.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I probably should keep my nose out of it, but I didn't really see JHZR2 trashing vet status. Maybe he came off on Jcwit a little harsh, but Jcwit does basically cheerlead HF.

I'll add another comment here, I do not cheerlead H/F or at least I do not mean to. I use them because they are very convenient for me to shop at in the price point I wish to use for some and now more so because of my age. I know of no other store that gives the wide selection that they do for my uses.

Here is an example which my show my point regarding H/F tools. I wish to rotate my own tires usually once or twice a year. I wanted a clicker type of torque wrench to tighten the lug nuts to the proper torque. Should I have spent $100 or more for a U.S. made tool or the $19.00 that I spent for the H/F one. In the last 3 years I have used this torque wrench 3 or 4 maybe 6 times at the most.

See where I'm coming from? The $80.00 saved was well spent on other items, very possibly essential ones, frankly I no longer remember, after all its been 3 or 4 years ago. It was in reality a case of either the $19.00 one or none at all.

Regarding my attitude of not caring, this may all change after this coming November. I hope this is an acceptable way of putting it.

What, now you can't even criticise china product shoppers? Darn politically correct
frown.gif
j/k.

But seriously, some of the criticism I think with HF is not just that they are chinese made tools but a lot of it is junk even by chinese tool standards, doesn't get warrantied (that may or may not be entirely HF fault, but a person shouldn't have to return breaking tools constanly)and amounts to dumping.

I don't think it can be overemphasized how much nice looking junk HF sells.

There's really not that much production cost saving between a quality and fairly priced American made tool and a china made tool, probably less than 10%. I don't blame consumers as much as companies' high mark up on US production, trade policies etc.

There are people who would if it were the case buy a lower quality china tool or product over a domestic even if the price difference was pennies. It's hard to put a value on a tool that doesn't meet mainstream quality standards. Based on if it will at elast barely complete the job, then throw the tool away or run to HF for another one?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jcwit
I probably should keep my nose out of it, but I didn't really see JHZR2 trashing vet status. Maybe he came off on Jcwit a little harsh, but Jcwit does basically cheerlead HF.

I'll add another comment here, I do not cheerlead H/F or at least I do not mean to. I use them because they are very convenient for me to shop at in the price point I wish to use for some and now more so because of my age. I know of no other store that gives the wide selection that they do for my uses.

Here is an example which my show my point regarding H/F tools. I wish to rotate my own tires usually once or twice a year. I wanted a clicker type of torque wrench to tighten the lug nuts to the proper torque. Should I have spent $100 or more for a U.S. made tool or the $19.00 that I spent for the H/F one. In the last 3 years I have used this torque wrench 3 or 4 maybe 6 times at the most.

See where I'm coming from? The $80.00 saved was well spent on other items, very possibly essential ones, frankly I no longer remember, after all its been 3 or 4 years ago. It was in reality a case of either the $19.00 one or none at all.

Regarding my attitude of not caring, this may all change after this coming November. I hope this is an acceptable way of putting it.

There's no excuse for a $19 and $80 price spread. Prouction cost is not that much more in the US. There's probably a few factors at play but markup is probably the biggest. But let me ask you this. What if the price difference between the two was less than 20%. Would you pay the difference. A lot of people wouldn't. We're usually not being given that opportunity though.

Personally I would not buy a $19 torque wrench as I wouldn't trust its accuracy and would just hand tighten by feel. But like I said there's really no excuse for such price difference. In other cases a quality china tool is not much less than a quality American tool.

There's no excuse for a $19 and $80 price spread. Prouction cost is not that much more in the US. There's probably a few factors at play but markup is probably the biggest. But let me ask you this. What if the price difference between the two was less than 20%. Would you pay the difference. A lot of people wouldn't. We're usually not being given that opportunity though.

There may be no excuse for the price difference but in reality its there, like it or not. Check out the price difference between a Plumb 16 oz hammer "made in china" and a 16 oz. chinese no name hammer from H/F, Menards, or other outlet. Menards sold 16 oz chinese hammers a few weeks ago for $1.99 IIRC. Point made?

Now regarding if perchance if the prices were close, 20% or less as stated there would be a whole different picture, and yes I would go for the U.S. made tool.

Another case in point, I do a lot of reloading, I have reloaded for the past 50 years. I have every color of reloading equipment on my bench from Lee to Sinclair, some purchased new and some used. I now lean towards Lee simply pecause of price point and really the quality is very good, maybe not the prettiest but overall excellent quality. And again made in the U.S.A. Do I buy Smart Reloader or even recommend it, NO, ABSOLUTLY NOT, there prices are in the same ball park so there is no advantage at all to buy their products. For those of you not familiar with Smart Reloader it an imported product from an Italian company thats manufactured in china.

Not to go off topic just giving examples.

Anyone getting it yet?

Originally Posted By: bigmike
I don't think I have a problem per se with the point JHZR2 is making. USA jobs, economy, and purchasing USA equipped items that hare manufactured here are all good, patriotic things to do.

When someone condescendingly states that someone else's choice to do something different, especially vocalizing that the person is somehow receiving the benefit because he has a good, well-paying USA job and implies that his tax money helps pay for the benefit check the other member is receiving, then that takes it to an entirely different level of discussion.

There is no honor in that kind of debate. I'd rather we look to positive ways to assist others.

I work with too many disabled people, perhaps. What you are saying is true - MANY do consider their disability check to be just some gift of society and do not attempt to better their employment status. But, MANY do not.

I'm glad you are a voice of reason, which you typically are in BITOG threads. Maybe this will help end the side show.

We all know, in an ideal world, that the vast population here would purchase products, especially tools, from good manufacturers here. I know I would. I do in many cases. But, sometimes we can't or cannot justify it. I don't think anyone makes that point or statement with pride.

Maybe you should reread my posts.

There are points there that perhaps you did not read or recognize.

You make it as if I want to trash a vet or be mean to someone for some random reason.

The only reason why I had anything to say about disabled vet status or anything related to pensions is because one HAS to remember where the funds come from.

What's the discussion here? Chinese made stuff. What happens when stuff is made in China versus here? We loose American jobs. How can you disagree?

But what happens when we stop making stuff, and turn into a country selling Chinese stuff for $5/hr at the HF store?

Yeah, the tax base goes down, and then what happens to all the payments like pensions and whatnot? Is it not all related?

I paid over $60k in taxes for 2011. I dont say that to brag or act fancy, Im not. I worked hard and long for that. But Im paying a LOT in taxes and one has to realize that if there are entitlements, yet we are making LESS stuff, less good-paying jobs, what happens? What happens when we have all these extended unemployment checks and everything else? It comes from taxing people, and from creating debt that Ill be paying through my lifetime to service. There is too much P there to discuss, but you have to realize that the issue of manufacturing, having a strong economic position, and not being undercut by China are all critical to maintaining the ability of folks to get pensions (look at what has happened to many private pensions after all).

So anything you perceive as an attack on a disability pension or anything else is entirely the reality that we MUST have the ability to produce, maintain employment and support a viable tax base in this country so that we can even make entitlement payments like that. If everyone is buying Chinese stuff and causing jobs to get farmed out, then the ability to solidly pay for things like pensions is compromised. The "attack" that you perceived is nothing more than a comment that one has to recognize that we cant do this forever and maintain paying stuff. I'd hate to see what happens when we default on debt and this kind of stuff CANT be paid out at the levels it even is now.

I didnt appreciate the commentary that vets' service entitles them to buy Chinese stuff. That offends me.

I do appreciate that vets' sacrifice for my ability to live in a place where we have the ability to succeed and make as much out of ourselves as is humanly possible. And I do everything in my power to by American and support jobs here.

For you to make assumptions on how good or bad I am, and how rude or mean I am based upon internet forum discussion is really a poor practice. You dont have any idea what I do for a living, how I donate time, effort or money to, how I support veterans or any other cause. If you did perhaps you wouldnt be so quick to judge me based upon comments pointed entirely towards caring about the economics and manufacturing capability of the USA which is directly tied to the maintenance of things like the disability pension that jcwit is dependent upon. Do you really think the Chinese or I care more about veterans' pensions, or anything associated with US manufacturing and jobs???????

And all this means that I can have, and express valid fears of our ever-waning manufacturing base and inability to pay our bills (how much of that is pensions, medical, etc?). If you think that is an attack or attempt to be mean at someone, then so be it. And if you disagree that buying Chinese stuff errodes our manufacturing base and by extension working base and tax base here, then just say so. If you think it is just all good, then so be it.

But if you care to scold me for having those concerns and expressing them here, regardless of whose commentary I expressed it against, then so be it. That's on you.

And if you care to take exception to my points, then how about you stop derailing things as you have at this point, and tell me what you really think via PM.

jcwit, I hope you realize that this is past my discussion with you and any disagreement or issues with your points. You are free to have your opinions and make your decisions, as am I. But so long as this commentary about my points continue, I will still be engaged. I am sorry that we volleyed as many times. You have to do what you have to do, I have to be cognizant of my fellow countrymen for the next 60 or so years that I will hopefully live. It may drive us to different decisions, but I trust that you understand that the ability of the USA to remain the dominant nation the world over is in my best interest, and any and all debts, interest payments and effects due to loss of capability in this USA economy will effect me over my entire life... SO I must be considerate of it. Thank you for your service, and please let us know how we can be of assistance to you.

Small consulation I realize, but there is much more involved in selling imported goods, no matter where the country of orgion is, than the final selling at an assumed $5.00 per hour. Shipping company, dock workers, in country shipping, order personall, inventory clerks etc., etc, and I'll venture to say most if not all of these support people make much more than $5.00 per hour. And many of them are union workers.

If you met me in person, I'd be the same person as I am on here. I'd speak the same, albeit with a slow, Southern drawl. And I wouldn't mince words. I'd probably be nicer in person, because I give everyone benefit of the doubt.

Consider this. On here, you get the opportunity to weigh your speech, however long it is you require, in order to convey your points. Perhaps you do not consider this exchange very meaningful, but then why bother sharing any point if this is how you feel?

Perhaps you, in the blindness of debate, do not consider how you come across. The validity of this USA economic crusade you are on has never been questioned by me. I agree with you on the propping up of our economic wealth and the foundation on which it should be built is its own people.

Explaining to someone what they are to do with their own money, irregardless of where it came from, has no basis for you to be upset over. That is on you and it is not anyone else's problem. I'd even suggest that because of the service given to his country, he has been granted the right to purchase whatever is legally available to him. What does that decision involve you for? Why do you get to judge that action?

If I had to choose a citizen with a well-paying job and good economic intentions versus a person who gave their time and service, I know which one I'd choose to support. However, there is a place for each of us. We all fill a role. I repeat - We ALL fill a role. To speak about judging, I consider that no person's role is any better than another. Only man reflects upon status as though it truly means something.

Originally Posted By: bigmike

If I had to choose a citizen with a well-paying job and good economic intentions versus a person who gave their time and service, I know which one I'd choose to support. However, there is a place for each of us. We all fill a role. I repeat - We ALL fill a role. To speak about judging, I consider that no person's role is any better than another. Only man reflects upon status as though it truly means something.

Agreed. But your comment goes back to my original point. Stop making stuff here, unemployed people, minimal real value created via manufacturing, all stuff that it seems we agree upon... But when there is less of this, and more people needing entitlements to support it, the tax base is only so big. I may pay a lot in taxes, but I dont have millions to steal to balance budgets... And those who do will not be willing to part.

So at some point in time, who we support and how we support them, and to what level WILL come to question, and NOBODY reliant on the various programs will be exempt from the chopping block. That is my biggest fear and has always been my main point. Our consumption habits, by necessity or by choice, will cause us to loose our own jobs and make us unable to pay our own people their deserved pensions, care and support (amongst other things going bad too). And when that happens, there will be a lot of pain for us all...

I think we've beat this horse enough though...

There may be no excuse for the price difference but in reality its there, like it or not. Check out the price difference between a Plumb 16 oz hammer "made in china" and a 16 oz. chinese no name hammer from H/F, Menards, or other outlet. Menards sold 16 oz chinese hammers a few weeks ago for $1.99 IIRC. Point made?

Now regarding if perchance if the prices were close, 20% or less as stated there would be a whole different picture, and yes I would go for the U.S. made tool.

But that just proves my point that a quality tool made in china is not much at all cheaper than a quality US made tool. You seem to assume that all products made in china are the same quality and that $1.99 hammer is the same as a say $18 hammer. You can debate on whether there should be that much price spread, but of course chinese junk is cheap.

Small consulation I realize, but there is much more involved in selling imported goods, no matter where the country of orgion is, than the final selling at an assumed $5.00 per hour. Shipping company, dock workers, in country shipping, order personall, inventory clerks etc., etc, and I'll venture to say most if not all of these support people make much more than $5.00 per hour. And many of them are union workers.

But any domestically produced product has all that distribution, inventory and retailing too with exception of being shipped across the ocean (by probably foreign workers) and unloaded at the dock. Unloading at the dock is hardly any consulation for cutting out the production and the mst valuable part.

But any domestically produced product has all that distribution, inventory and retailing too with exception of being shipped across the ocean (by probably foreign workers) and unloaded at the dock. Unloading at the dock is hardly any consolation for cutting out the production and the mst valuable part.

Suppose thats why I started the reply with the words "Small consolation? Yup, thats why!

But that just proves my point that a quality tool made in china is not much at all cheaper than a quality US made tool. You seem to assume that all products made in china are the same quality and that $1.99 hammer is the same as a say $18 hammer. You can debate on whether there should be that much price spread, but of course chinese junk is cheap.

No you're still not getting it from my point of view. Really can't see how I can make it much simpler but I'll try one more time.

I've pounded in maybe 10 nails in the last 10 years, and that is probably stretching it. Now I happened to use an old plumb hammer I inherited from my Dad 30/40 years ago, but with that said, if I would have had to go out and purchase a hammer to put thos 10 or less nails in over the last 10 years or more the $1.99 imported hammer would have handled the job just as well as a $20/$30 dollar imported hammer with a U.S. brand, or one made here in the U.S. for that matter.

Reread this post with an OPEN mind and just TRY to comprehend what I'm attempting to get across.

But any domestically produced product has all that distribution, inventory and retailing too with exception of being shipped across the ocean (by probably foreign workers) and unloaded at the dock. Unloading at the dock is hardly any consolation for cutting out the production and the mst valuable part.

Suppose thats why I started the reply with the words "Small consolation? Yup, thats why!

Yeah but you described it with the same things that any domestic product has. It's a very small consolation when it possibly comes down to unloading containers at the dock.

Yeah but you described it with the same things that any domestic product has. It's a very small consolation when it possibly comes down to unloading containers at the dock.

Again, that was the purpose of phrasing it the way I did.

Is it that hard to understand?

shipped across the ocean (by probably foreign workers) and unloaded at the dock.

Supposition, unsupported with any fact!

No you're still not getting it from my point of view. Really can't see how I can make it much simpler but I'll try one more time.

I've pounded in maybe 10 nails in the last 10 years, and that is probably stretching it. Now I happened to use an old plumb hammer I inherited from my Dad 30/40 years ago, but with that said, if I would have had to go out and purchase a hammer to put thos 10 or less nails in over the last 10 years or more the $1.99 imported hammer would have handled the job just as well as a $20/$30 dollar imported hammer with a U.S. brand, or one made here in the U.S. for that matter.

Reread this post with an OPEN mind and just TRY to comprehend what I'm attempting to get across.

I'm not missing your point anymore than you are missing mine. I'm not arguing with the expedience or personal economics of buying a limited use chinese made tool. I'm saying there was a time when you could get a lower priced American made hammer. If your dad had a $1.99 hammer would it as likely be still around for you to use? Maybe if it never got used and sat on the shelf the whole time. It might not be a stretch to say the $2 chinese hammer won't even drive in 10 nails before breaking. I know, you'll say how nice and good the tool is, being able to hand it down or sell it for some value etc don't matter just like lost manufacturing jobs don't matter.

From what you say it seems you hardly even use your tools much and maybe don't really need them much. But not every chinese made tool is bought to use a couple times. As I mentioned they've taken over the low end and really most of the market. Some people would strive to borrow, buy used, improvise or heaven forbid pay what it cost for domestic and quality rather than buy low quality chinese tools.

IS the Craftsman compressor really made in US? I imagin it is made with a lot of china parts. Still no excuse for the high price if even partially made in the US. ....

Yeah, I'm nearly certain of it. I'm at the weekend house now, but if I think about it next week, I'll look at it.

It's about ten years old, was probably more like $280 plus tax, and in fairness, if it worked, it would be a better compressor than the $40 HF. It has a three or four gallon pancake tank, and can run 40-50 psi continuously, something the HF could never match. Hopefully it will be an easy fix.

But for $40, that little pancake HF setup seems to be a really good deal. When I fix the craftsman, I'll bring the HF here to the lake so I have something to top tires off with.

No one seems to get their britches in a bunch over all the cheap, or expensive, imported cars that dominate the roads in this country. How are the cheap items HF brings in any different?

I don't see any difference in principle between buying a new BMW or Mercedes (or Jaguar or Holden, as I buy) and buying HF goods. A lost job is a lost job. I doubt that the displaced worker here gives a fig that his job went to Germany, or Australia, or Japan, or the United Kingdom instead of China. That job is still gone.

Cheap goods from China may indeed be a serious problem, but the bigger problem is that we depend on loans from them. Calling our loans will bring us down a lot faster than one dollar hammers from HF.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back