Guy living in his car

There are many lower wage employees including some you may well have in your own organization who can barely survive on their earned income even in a fairly low cost state like Ohio. There is a shortage of rental units which has served to drive up rents. The inescapable reality is that we want and need people willing to work in low wage jobs but for many of them the expression "the math ain't mathin'" applies.
Not entirely sure what the solution might be but those of us fortunate enough to be pretty well set should refrain from denigrating those who aren't.

Minimum wage "entry level" jobs are just that. A starter job to get experience. They are not for long term prosperity. They were never intended to be a full job for an adult to provide housing, personal vehicles, vacations, a company car, heath insurance and a 401K. What do you expect out of a minimum wage job?
Exactly.

Ev
Average US rent is $1700 for a 900 square foot apartment. Experts say 30% of gross should go to rent. That means you should make $68,000 a year to rent the average apartment.

Were not just talking about minimum wage people.

What I am saying is it might be better to live in your car than even try?
Ever heard of a roommate?

It was always like this until someone or some group decided to use this as an economic whip and yardstick.

When I started working min wage was $1.65 . Rent was less then but…
In 1970 minimum wage was $1.60

In 2024 Minimum wage is 7.25. So 4.53X

FRED says rent has increased about 8X since 1970. Hence people live in their car

1712511933279.jpg

You mean like the Transportation Secretary telling those who can't afford a tank of gas, to buy an Electric Car...
I was thinking more of some of the posts above.
That's also a misstatement of what Buttigieg actually said, but never mind.

There are many lower wage employees including some you may well have in your own organization who can barely survive on their earned income even in a fairly low cost state like Ohio. There is a shortage of rental units which has served to drive up rents. The inescapable reality is that we want and need people willing to work in low wage jobs but for many of them the expression "the math ain't mathin'" applies.
Not entirely sure what the solution might be but those of us fortunate enough to be pretty well set should refrain from denigrating those who aren't.
We have enough homeless bums near our area that have made a once beautiful place look like a trash dump. I have zero sympathy for them. Most are drug users. They litter and dump human waste into our rivers and contribute to crime. What they NEED is a good spray down with a firehose.

I was thinking more of some of the posts above.
That's also a misstatement of what Buttigieg actually said, but never mind.

I watched him say it. It isn't a misstatement of what he essentially said. Of course the spin machine will try to spin it to try and make it sound less elitist and out of touch, after the fact...

Last edited:
Yes, a lot of the state/federal mental facilities were closed in the 70s and 80s and the patients let out on the streets with zilch and nowhere to go. It's disheartening and sad, and here we call ourselves a first world country.

It's also something like 7-9 pills for PTSD patients. 2 pills that actually work and the rest to counter side effects. USA and big pharma go hand and hand. Can't even trust the ones that swore an oath to human well-being.
Those people are or should be dead by now. The CV19 virus did not reduce the homeless/ druggie population.

Wasn't a misquote, if you google-

Buttigieg slammed for urging electric car buying to counter gas prices​

you will find what he said, and you can interpret it any way you want.

This is what the guy actually said:

“We’re for cutting the cost of electric vehicles, because when you have an electric vehicle then you’re also going to be able to save on gas. But you got to be able to afford it in the first place. Now we’re actually starting to see on some models the cost come to where, even if your car payment is a little higher, your gas payment will be a little lower and you come out ahead. But the prices still need to come down for most Americans to be able to get an EV.”

Not quite as sensational as the way in which some media outlets spun it.

This is what the guy actually said:

“We’re for cutting the cost of electric vehicles, because when you have an electric vehicle then you’re also going to be able to save on gas. But you got to be able to afford it in the first place. Now we’re actually starting to see on some models the cost come to where, even if your car payment is a little higher, your gas payment will be a little lower and you come out ahead. But the prices still need to come down for most Americans to be able to get an EV.”

Not quite as sensational as the way in which some media outlets spun it.

Thanks for posting the spin...

Some folks fall on hard times and need to live in their vehicle.

It’s tough and difficult to live in your vehicle, especially in very hot and cold states.

When he was in damage control, and attempting to sound less elitist and out of touch, for his original comment.
Give us a source for this original comment you refer to.

I watched him as the words came out of his mouth. Which is why there was such an uproar across the country for his comments. And why it became such a controversy. Of course that's when the spin started, and you've eaten it up.

I would love to find the video of him saying what he said. If only the vast majority of the mainstream media were unbiased, and it could be found.

I'll jump in on this one, Well I won't post a link because it could be looked up, as the saying goes, on the NYPOST and in snopes for a fact check. But what do I know, I use google. Plus I gave you the headlines in my previous post to "look it up" Perhaps I misread or misunderstood what he said;) and I won't post the many news media(on both sides of the coin) cause after all we don't want to get this thread locked which started out on a good run.

No more posting for me on this thread because I don't want to ruin my comprehensive skills.

Last edited:
In 1970 minimum wage was $1.60

In 2024 Minimum wage is 7.25. So 4.53X

FRED says rent has increased about 8X since 1970. Hence people live in their car

View attachment 212856
Min wage in WA state is $16.28/hr. So that outstrips rent but this whole thing is nuts.

You do know that a lot of stuff has gone down and lot of stuff has gone up more than 8X, but it's a bit irrelevant. Minimum wage is not supposed to be some metric used to measure living conditions. I know you have been told this, but it was rolled out as a poor form of wage control.

We need to get rid on min wage and let the market set wages.

I'll jump in on this one, Well I won't post a link because it could be looked up, as the saying goes, on the NYPOST and in snopes for a fact check. But what do I know, I use google. Plus I gave you the headlines in my previous post to "look it up" Perhaps I misread or misunderstood what he said;) and I won't post the many news media(on both sides of the coin) cause after all we don't want to get this thread locked which started out on a good run.

No more posting for me on this thread because I don't want to ruin my comprehensive skills.

Snopes fact check is a good joke, almost as much as CNN fact check was.

Who's fact checking the fact checkers?

Back