Gun control/being safe out there....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
The VAST majority of Canada's gun homicides are committed using hand guns (restricted) which are smuggled in illegally from the USA. This happens primarily in the GTA and is generally gang-bangers offing each other. No amount of additional firearms laws levied on the Canadian public would have ANY impact on this.

You need to build a big beautiful wall.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: totegoat
Register obvious nut cases first. The rest will take time, but will surface, hopefully before they kill more innocent people.

How? By implanting a chip in their head to send back warning signs? Give everyone a psychiatric test every year even if they don't own a gun and might some day?

Like said earlier, if background checks can have full access to all medical records they may be able to filter out quite a few potential risky gun owners. But many of these sycos that go on a shooting rampage didn't have any records to dig into, and it wasn't know until after they shootings occurred that the guy was unstable based on evidence they recover from his home, computer, social media accounts, etc.

Originally Posted By: rsylvstr
For those that continue to say we should need approval for type of gun, I will agree as soon as you need approval to breed.

Actually, have a license to qualify for having and raising kids might go a long way for something like gun control down the road - along with may other aspects in our society that are messed up.

A lot of these shooters come from homes that are broken and they have been raised so wrong which often times leads to mental problems. Go to the Wikipedia links I posted earlier that dig into the individual mass shooting cases and you'll see all those shooters had messed up childhoods, broken homes and mental issues.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: chrisri
Thing with a firearm is that someone can kill in a second without thinking. Physically it's easy to shoot someone. This is the main reason why guns are restricted. People do thing in affect. So if there's no gun by someone hand there's a good chance that someone would cool down.

The lethality of the gun is what makes it useful for defense.

You are defenseless against a younger, stronger, or more numerous assailant. For some of us, that is 90% of the population, 99% of the criminal population and 100% of the armed criminal population.

You have no defense against them unless you're armed.

You have no enumerated right to self defense in your country, and no,legal means to exercise it.

That's sad. You're not trusted by your fellow citizens to behave reasonably, and your government trusts you even less, because they have legislated that you can't have the right to self defense.

Your rate of assault is just as high as the rest of Europe, and similar to ours, similar to Canada's, but you're dependent on a police force that can't be there in time to stop a crime...they can only arrive minutes later and solve the crime. Your can only hope that the assault on you ends up being non lethal..

But that outcome isn't in your hands, it's solely in the criminal's hands.

You are forced to rely on the kindness of criminals for your safety and well being.

That makes you a victim in waiting. Not a free man. Not a responsible person. A somewhat sad and powerless creature deluding yourself that you're safe....

Fact is that homicides by 100k people are heights in US (3.5 death). In Croatia, a country that fought war on their own soil, and has individuals of questionable stability (some war veterans and war affected civilians) still has 1.1 homicide by 100k people. In France, Italy and Germany it's below 1%.

You say that you wouldn't feel as safe without means for self-protection. What about your wife? Does she carry a firearm while shopping with her friends? Do you give a gun to your 5 year old when you drop him/her at a kindergarten?
How will they protect themselves?

I'm not saying guns should be outlawed in US. I couldn't care less. It's your country.
I was just saying that simplicity of acquiring a hand weapon (legally) in US sometimes leads to a homicides that could be avoided if procedure for getting one was more strict.

Canadian model looks good to me. Individual can have a permit to carry a handgun for protection, but only after a serious evaluation of individual requiring permit is established. After initial permission a biannual reevaluation should be performed.

A 70 year old with Alzheimer shouldn't be able to carry a gun on a grunts of permit he was given 40 years ago.

In a worst kind scenario when you actually need a gun for self protection you have only 40% of surviving a gun shooting. If we assume that criminal who is engaging on you has advantage of a surprise, and that that criminal can handle gun at least the same as you due to its nature of work, and that in US a criminal will take into consideration the fact that most of citizens will consume their right for carrying gun and self defend, 40% survivability is good estimate.

Thanks to those with reasonable ideas here. Especially Astro14 who really nailed it.

Questions: Why did the LA Times and others attempt to portray the shooter in Oregon as a white man? They even altered his photo!

Why did the leader of our country never mention that the shooter targeted Christians? Also no mention of his faith?

There are many more. The media has a real and pernicious agenda here and will pursue it at every opportunity. I also own more than 10 firearms, and not a single one has shot anybody. But they are prepared to if necessary...

Fact is that homicides by 100k people are heights in US (3.5 death). In Croatia, a country that fought war on their own soil, and has individuals of questionable stability (some war veterans and war affected civilians) still has 1.1 homicide by 100k people. In France, Italy and Germany it's below 1%.

Do you not understand that the overwhelming % of gun violence is in cities where gangbangers kill themselves and others? We can't "collect" the weapons from these sewer rats. None of the gun grabbers address this issue.

Quote:
You say that you wouldn't feel as safe without means for self-protection. What about your wife? Does she carry a firearm while shopping with her friends?

In this country, our women have equal rights with men. If my wife chooses to carry, she is able to do. I believe you just pointed out that women are lesser then men in your mind...sweet.

Quote:
Do you give a gun to your 5 year old when you drop him/her at a kindergarten?

That is just an ignorant comment.

Quote:
I'm not saying guns should be outlawed in US.

Generous of you but we have the 2nd amendment that prevents that.

Quote:
I couldn't care less. It's your country.

Ditto for me and your country

Quote:
I was just saying that simplicity of acquiring a hand weapon (legally) in US sometimes leads to a homicides that could be avoided if procedure for getting one was more strict.

Again the problems are the sewer rats not people who already undergo a background jcheck before they can purchase a handgun

[/quote]Canadian model looks good to me. Individual can have a permit to carry a handgun for protection, but only after a serious evaluation of individual requiring permit is established. After initial permission a biannual re-evaluation should be performed. [/quote]
A re-evaluation is performed every 5 years when the permit is renewed. Do you have statistical proof that 2 years makes more sense and would save lives? Didn't think so.

Quote:
A 70 year old with Alzheimer shouldn't be able to carry a gun on a grunts of permit he was given 40 years ago.

Read my last response. Your knowledge on U.S. laws are lacking.

Quote:
In a worst kind scenario when you actually need a gun for self protection you have only 40% of surviving a gun shooting. If we assume that criminal who is engaging on you has advantage of a surprise, and that that criminal can handle gun at least the same as you due to its nature of work

Thanks for making the argument. 40% is better than 0%. But again you are assuming the worst case. I am gonna' say in my case, with situational awareness its at least double that. Again inTHIS Country we are all Free to get any amount of training we desire. Oh..and again that goes for WOMEN

Quote:
and that in US a criminal will take into consideration the fact that most of citizens will consume their right for carrying gun and self defend, 40% survivability is good estimate.

I would guess that some will consider the fact that their jchances of surviving such a confrontation may be less than 50%. In your country criminals (even the dumbest) will know his chances are 100% of surviving.

Thanks for allowing me to vent
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Guns don't kill people,
It is about time we talk about and address the problems in our society.
Does anyone care what drove this individual to kill?

Canadians don't have handguns true, but they just saw off their rifles. Ask a mounty (correct term?) why they wear extra armor.

gun-control-cartoon-club-knife.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Benito
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
The VAST majority of Canada's gun homicides are committed using hand guns (restricted) which are smuggled in illegally from the USA. This happens primarily in the GTA and is generally gang-bangers offing each other. No amount of additional firearms laws levied on the Canadian public would have ANY impact on this.

You need to build a big beautiful wall.
wink.gif

bottom line you have persons who are using handguns to kill.
all the legislation you have did not and could not prevent that.
what it did was take out of your hand and you are not able protect yourself and your family.

Last edited:
I have a hard time these nut jobs would have the money, effort, resource and guts to obtain illegal guns. They build up weapons and finally get the guts/trigger to do stupid things. I think that is why we have more (mass) gun related incidents as the starting point is cheap and easy/effortless.

Ban or restrict guns, no idea.

Originally Posted By: stockrex
their rifles. Ask a mounty (correct term?) why they wear extra armor.

gun-control-cartoon-club-knife.jpg

Unfortunately, this is about as clear as it gets.

You say that you wouldn't feel as safe without means for self-protection. What about your wife? Does she carry a firearm while shopping with her friends? Do you give a gun to your 5 year old when you drop him/her at a kindergarten?

I'm not saying guns should be outlawed in US. I couldn't care less. It's your country.

Canadian model looks good to me. Individual can have a permit to carry a handgun for protection, but only after a serious evaluation of individual requiring permit is established. After initial permission a biannual reevaluation should be performed.

In a worst kind scenario when you actually need a gun for self protection you have only 40% of surviving a gun shooting. If we assume that criminal who is engaging on you has advantage of a surprise, and that that criminal can handle gun at least the same as you due to its nature of work, and that in US a criminal will take into consideration the fact that most of citizens will consume their right for carrying gun and self defend, 40% survivability is good estimate.

The fact is that you focus on statistics, and have formed an opinion, without regard to rights. So, let's examine both.

Statistics in different countries are counted differently. The U.S. counts rape as a violent crime. Many countries do not, so, the incidence of violent crime is difficult to compare. However, when crimes like rape are added in to the violent crime statistics of Europe, it turns out that Europe, and England, have higher violent crime than the U.S.

You don't want to believe that because you are bombarded by our news. But it's quite clear that our news entities are not interested in balanced reporting, if they ever were, because they need to compete for mouse clicks, air time, papers sold, and so the sensationalize everything, including crime statistics.

The "epidemic" of gun violence in the U.S.? The rate of gun violence has been on the decline for 30 years now. It continues to go down. It went down when we banned "assault rifles"...and when the ban was repealed, it went down some more. This fact, easily available, for example, here, from our own DOJ: http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/htus8008.pdf#page=27
does not sell papers, or air time, or mouse clicks...the only thing you can conclude is that when the number of guns in the U.S. went from about 100 million to about 300 million, gun crime rates decreased.

Ironically, most gun crime is committed with handguns, yet rifles continue to dominate the discussion. Rifles are generally owned by law-abiding citizens, and they are used in less than 1% of crimes involving firearms.

Still, to those ignorant of how a rifle works, or how firearms are employed, the rifle seems scary and of no "legitimate" purpose...so it's viewed as the most easy to ban and restrict.

Speaking of restrictions, you wouldn't get this from the media either: in the U.S., you can't own a full automatic gun, or a shotgun or rifle with a shortened barrel, or explosive devices. You can't own a gun if your a convicted felon, or have a conviction of misdemeanor domestic violence (so, there goes the "moment of anger" argument, we already addressed that in U.S. law), or a mentally deficient.

Now, wouldn't it be a good idea to check for these things and prevent people who shouldn't have guns from getting them? We have a universal background check for anyone buying from a dealer. But with over 400,000 attempted illegal purchases last year, our DOJ elected to prosecute only a dozen. Interesting...if we don't enforce that law, then is it really a law? "Straw" purchase is a federal offense, and never prosecuted. Klebold and Harris at Columbine High School were underage...so they used a straw purchaser...Robyn Anderson, a friend of Klebold and Harris, who bought the shotguns and the Hi-Point 9mm Carbine for them, thus committing a felony in one of the worst, high-profile mass shootings in the U.S. She plea bargained and never served any jail time.

Good law. Abysmally enforced. Clearly, great room for improvement in public safety here...

In your 3.5 death per 100,000 statistic, you've included both suicides and gang on gang violence. Both distort the picture. 60% of the "gun deaths" in the U.S. are suicide. Those aren't the fault of the gun, and while suicide is tragic, it isn't the fault of the gun. The Japanese, for example, kill themselves at twice the rate that U.S. folks so...without guns...so it really isn't a "gun" issue.

That drives the U.S rate down to 1.4 per 100,000, using your numbers...which is about the Croatian rate...

Take out our gang on gang violence in five key U.S. cities, the violence responsible for over half of our deaths by firearm, and the U.S. becomes 0.7 per 100,000...far safer than Croatia, or anywhere else in the EU. Safer by far, than the U.K.

But that's only homicides...what about violent crime? Again, the U.S. statistics are about the same as other developed countries...safer than many, though it's difficult to compare because we consider many things violent that other countries, yes, even Canada, does not. So, Canadians look at their statistics and think that Canada is less violent...well, no, the counting is simply different...and against a violent felon, a firearm is often the only thing that makes you able to defend yourself.

That's the whole point of the Second Amendment. Self defense. Defense of the individual...as well as the collective defense of the state, which, in 1776, was a big deal for us...

Now, let's talk about the ridiculous things that you said; my 5 year old? seriously?. I never said that I wouldn't feel safe without a gun. I said that I have that right. I said that the firearms is the only reasonable means for self-defense in the vast majority of cases. I said that you only feel safe, because in point of fact, you remain restricted in your exercise of that right of self defense.

And that's really the point: the right. You have a right to self defense...but no practical means by which to exercise it. Kind of like having the right to vote...but you're not allowed to approach the ballot box...or the only choices on the ballot are the Communist Party members...sure, you've got the right...in a pig's eye!

This country was founded on the idea of liberty. Of individual rights granted by a higher power. Of a government that derives its power by consent of the governed. Where individuals are responsible for their own success or failure.

But, there are lots of folks who don't like that. They don't want to take responsibility for their own success, or failure, or safety.

Your 40% of the time statistic is specious...as well as irrelevant. If a motorcycle helmet only worked 40% of the time, it's my right to choose whether or not to wear it.

In fact, defensive uses of a firearm happen between 400,000 (liberal numbers) and 2,500,000 (conservative numbers) times per year in the U.S. Far more effective than the 40% that you quote. But the percentage isn't the point. The point is this: those people had the right, and the means, to defend themselves.

They live in liberty.

Sadly, most of the world's population doesn't...and is content to be deceived by sensational misrepresentation instead of facing the stark reality of their powerlessness and bondage enacted by their own government, often with their consent.

Last edited:
We are simply a country/culture that loves guns. It should be no surprise then that we have more of these issues. For protection, I'm not sure why assault rifles are necessary etc. It's a cultural thing that goes beyond laws or protection. Gun conventions, magazines etc....Americans love guns.

I can see the logic in that banning guns won't eliminate the problem. Just like banning abortion or drugs won't stop abortions or drug use. Although with drugs, they generally kill the user while guns kill other people in the wrong hands.

When perceptions, desires become badly skewed, laws can be useless.

In many ways, this country is still backwards thinking. A good part of this country still is from it's extreme religious views to wild west ways.

http://www.businessinsider.com/nassim-ta...weapons-2012-12

Quote:
From Nassim Taleb's Facebook:

I cannot possibly buy the argument that people need weapons in case the government fails them and democracy breaks down. If the narrative were true, someone over the past 5 years would have taken arms to express frustration with the banking establishment hijacking the political system for self-enrichment --one of the greatest iniquities ever, ever -- and other similar lobbyists, instead of using w weapons against schoolchildren and college students. The reason we have arms is gun lobby, period. To repeat the argument against the long peace, a weirdo with a knife can't go far. Just as I don't want to be in a plane with an armed gunman on board, I don't want weirdos with guns in civil society. Via Negativa: gun control is perhaps one of the very few things the government should do.

So to continue, let us examine the arguments against gun control, one by one. 1) Argument of self defense: mass murder weapons like automatic rifles is not compatible with "self defense" ("mass" in that context =weapons that can kill >4 persons). 2) Argument of government tyranny: Why don't gun advocates fight for the right of private citizens to own large tanks and atomic weapons? A semi/automatic rifle is too potent for self defense, and too weak against government tyranny. Its main use is on innocent crowds and, typically, schoolchildren.

http://www.fooledbyrandomness.com/

Quote:
That's the whole point of the Second Amendment. Self defense. Defense of the individual...as well as the collective defense of the state, which, in 1776, was a big deal for us...

And that's really the point: the right. You have a right to self defense...but no practical means by which to exercise it. Kind of like having the right to vote...but you're not allowed to approach the ballot box...or the only choices on the ballot are the Communist Party members...sure, you've got the right...in a pig's eye!

This country was founded on the idea of liberty. Of individual rights granted by a higher power. Of a government that derives its power by consent of the governed. Where individuals are responsible for their own success or failure.

But, there are lots of folks who don't like that. They don't want to take responsibility for their own success, or failure, or safety.

I think these comments are far too simplistic though. In 1776 people had muskets not assault rifles. Plus, societies change. What was good then is not necessarily good now. That's just common sense.

It goes beyond self-defense.

Liberty and freedom are all relative.

Statistics are what they are. According to Wikipedia homicide ratings in US are 3.55 deaths by 100k. This doesn't include suicides or unintentional killing.
When including those it climes to over 10/100k people. That is way more than rest of the developed world.

It certainly wasn't my intention to offend anyone here, yet it looks someone still was so I'm going to stop here.
Cheers.

Originally Posted By: buster

In many ways, this country is still backwards thinking.

And that backward thinking is by those that wish to restrict the right of self defence (BY LAW ABIDING FOLKS) instead of going after the illegal guns of the gangbangers that are the REAL problem.

We have many people in this so called "developed" country that lack a developed mind. We still have a hefty population that rejects scientific thinking and thinks evolution is bogus, the earth was created in 7 days, literally, and climate change is bogus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back