Gun control/being safe out there....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: chrisri
Thing with a firearm is that someone can kill in a second without thinking. Physically it's easy to shoot someone. This is the main reason why guns are restricted. People do thing in affect. So if there's no gun by someone hand there's a good chance that someone would cool down.

This. AND the ability to own guns and high powered rifles that can shoot so many bullets in such a short time, to cause maximum number of fatalities. Sandy Hook...

Thing with a firearm is that someone can kill in a second without thinking. Physically it's easy to shoot someone. This is the main reason why guns are restricted. People do thing in affect. So if there's no gun by someone hand there's a good chance that someone would cool down.

Yeah, if it is perhaps sitting on a nightstand or table loaded. However if they are all locked in a safe (storage requirement), not only does this ensure there aren't any "accidents" with them but also means there is a time delay in terms of getting access. This makes them "less available" than something like a kitchen knife.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird

This. AND the ability to own guns and high powered rifles that can shoot so many bullets in such a short time, to cause maximum number of fatalities. Sandy Hook...

One of the more recent mass school shootings in Australia simply involved multiple hand guns:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monash_University_shooting

Quote:
At 11:24 a.m. on 21 October,[1] Huan Yun "Allen" Xiang[2] a commerce student at the university,[3] armed with six loaded handguns, opened fire in room E 659 of the Menzies Building on Monash's Clayton campus[4] in an econometrics class containing twelve students.[5] People in the classroom were initially confused by the noise and by Xiang screaming "You never understand me!" from the desk he was standing on.

Damage had the potential to be much more than it was as he was tackled during a weapon switch.

Guns were banded around 1997 in the England. The next year gun related deaths doubled. Every year except one, gun related deaths have been higher with the ban in place.

The media often forgets details and instead writes stores.

The lethality of the gun is what makes it useful for defense.

You are defenseless against a younger, stronger, or more numerous assailant. For some of us, that is 90% of the population, 99% of the criminal population and 100% of the armed criminal population.

You have no defense against them unless you're armed.

You have no enumerated right to self defense in your country, and no,legal means to exercise it.

That's sad. You're not trusted by your fellow citizens to behave reasonably, and your government trusts you even less, because they have legislated that you can't have the right to self defense.

Your rate of assault is just as high as the rest of Europe, and similar to ours, similar to Canada's, but you're dependent on a police force that can't be there in time to stop a crime...they can only arrive minutes later and solve the crime. Your can only hope that the assault on you ends up being non lethal..

But that outcome isn't in your hands, it's solely in the criminal's hands.

You are forced to rely on the kindness of criminals for your safety and well being.

That makes you a victim in waiting. Not a free man. Not a responsible person. A somewhat sad and powerless creature deluding yourself that you're safe....

And I go back to what I said earlier. I heard on TV that there are something like 300 million guns of various types in civilian hands in the USA. I don't know if that is accurate or not but there are certainly millions and millions of guns.

If some anti-gun law was passed requiring all guns to be turned in maybe the majority of law abiding citizens would turn in their guns. But the criminals are not going to obey the laws. And such an anti-gun law would not prevent guns from being manufactured illegally.

So the bottom line is there is still going to be a lot of guns, regardless what is done. The USA is a country of 325 million people and not a much smaller population like Australia or Canada. Heck, look at Mexico. There are very strict gun laws there and there are still a lot of people killed in gun violence in Mexico.

Worry about guns in the hands of criminals. Don't worry so much about guns in the hands of law abiding citizens. The criminals will have guns no matter what. Even if there were extremely strict anti-gun laws universally throughout the USA, the criminals will not follow the laws and if necessary they would stockpile guns in various places. Millions of guns could be hidden away along with huge amounts of ammunition.

There is evidence that criminals will often hesitate to try to break into homes if they think the residents may possess guns. And the thought of law abiding citizens carry concealed carry guns worries me a lot less than only criminals carrying guns.

There are far more people being killed in gun violence in various cities like Chicago compared to how many people are killed by these mass killers. I am not trying to downplay the importance of stopping the mass killers, but hundreds of people are killed every year in gun violence in cities like Chicago.

One thing that is known about the mass killers is that they are smart enough to target GUN FREE ZONES. Like schools and theaters. That should be a wake up call to people who think that making a school or a theater a gun free zone is somehow going to prevent some mass killer from killing lots of people in such a location.

We need to get away from agendas and figure out logical and workable methods to stop the gang gun violence AND the killers who target schools and theaters and other locations where they can kill as many people as possible.

The gang violence in places like Chicago is not even addressed. Why not?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: totegoat
Register lunatics. The majority of killers are deranged individuals.

Well, yes, but sorting out the loons is not so easy. Most people seem reasonably reasonable until they hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats. What percentage of deranged people is actually on record? I don't know, that's why I am asking, but if I were to hazard a guess, I would think only a small fraction of potentially dangerous iundividuals is actually known. People also change over time. Sane people suddenly snap.

Guns are very embedded into the American culture and they are never leaving. Gun murders may be high in the United States, but many are suicides'. So is there more crime in the U.S? The real question is do I feel safer in any other country than the Unites States where I can have a gun and the answer is no. I can get in my car at 2 am and drive just about anywhere without any fear. I don't think that is the case in some of those "Lower" gun crime countries.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Guns are very embedded into the American culture and they are never leaving. Gun murders may be high in the United States, but many are suicides'. So is there more crime in the U.S? The real question is do I feel safer in any other country than the Unites States where I can have a gun and the answer is no. I can get in my car at 2 am and drive just about anywhere without any fear. I don't think that is the case in some of those "Lower" gun crime countries.

Interesting.
In which country/countries did you feel less safe while living there?
(Keep in mind that ANY country has areas of areas in every city that has a higher crime rate, but I am asking about normal day-to-day living in what's considered a "normal" area of cities/countries you experienced less safety while living / driving around at night)

In Yemen pretty much every male over 12 carries a gun. It should be a very safe place. And they are all hopped up on quat. They should be relaxed. The cabbies are armed and chew quat. I thought I wasn't going to make it from the airport to the hotel alive. Halef drove like he was possessed by Ayrton Senna or Iblis, or possibly by both. The goat kebobs were also dangerous.

For those that continue to say we should need approval for type of gun, I will agree as soon as you need approval to breed.

Most of the mass/school shootings in recent history were not done by felons or "gangbangers" (as Trav put it), but by single individuals who legally owned guns (in some cases more than 10 or more guns!).

Sooooo you're telling me because I legally own 11 guns (holy [censored]!) I'm going to go on a shooting rampage?
21.gif

Register obvious nut cases first. The rest will take time, but will surface, hopefully before they kill more innocent people.

Originally Posted By: SEMI_287

Most of the mass/school shootings in recent history were not done by felons or "gangbangers" (as Trav put it), but by single individuals who legally owned guns (in some cases more than 10 or more guns!).

Sooooo you're telling me because I legally own 11 guns (holy [censored]!) I'm going to go on a shooting rampage?
21.gif

Are you a nutcase? If so then there is a possibility......

Originally Posted By: SEMI_287

21.gif

Hard to say because I don't think nutcases are always born as such.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

The lethality of the gun is what makes it useful for defense.

You are defenseless against a younger, stronger, or more numerous assailant. For some of us, that is 90% of the population, 99% of the criminal population and 100% of the armed criminal population.

You have no defense against them unless you're armed.

You have no enumerated right to self defense in your country, and no,legal means to exercise it.

That's sad. You're not trusted by your fellow citizens to behave reasonably, and your government trusts you even less, because they have legislated that you can't have the right to self defense.

Your rate of assault is just as high as the rest of Europe, and similar to ours, similar to Canada's, but you're dependent on a police force that can't be there in time to stop a crime...they can only arrive minutes later and solve the crime. Your can only hope that the assault on you ends up being non lethal..

But that outcome isn't in your hands, it's solely in the criminal's hands.

You are forced to rely on the kindness of criminals for your safety and well being.

That makes you a victim in waiting. Not a free man. Not a responsible person. A somewhat sad and powerless creature deluding yourself that you're safe....

So well put!! Read it twice.

Tom NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back