Guess Discount Tire is now my exclusive retail tire dealer

Cool story about their tire replacement. I used DT once and kinda fell away since I would buy my tires from TireRack and have them installed & balanced there.

But I digress; my mom came to town for a couple days & she had a screw in her tire, leaked flat overnight. I aired it back up, drove to Belle Tire (where I have never been nor spent a penny) and said I needed a patch. They pulled the car in & I watched them patch & rebalance the tire, and they had it back out front in twelve minutes! Biggest shock of all, the tech walks back in, hands me the keys & says “You’re good to go!” I’m like huh? “Patching tires is free, sir!” I called after to check- all other places within 30 minutes charged AT LEAST $25 on-car to patch & rebalance a tire.

I’m not and never had been their customer, but service like this has earned my next full set of tires to be bought there. We’ll see how they do! 😊

Discount Tire is now my exclusive retail tire dealer too. So many good experiences (tire repair, valve repair, free rotation), plus they match or beat Costco , Walmart or any others. Plus they have free Road Hazard.

I use Discount exclusively (20yrs) for all my tire needs and that is a lot and they always cut me good deals....BUT here lately they have not been able to balance tires correctly the 1st time around, strip out lug nuts, over tighten lugs, and other workmanship issues. I mean I really am disappointed. I think it's the high turnover rate in lower paying retail type jobs that is the main culprit.

hmm this is interesting. when i had my BMW with staggered tires, DT told me that the mileage warranty was void because the tires could not be rotated. like your MB, it ate tires in 20k .
The warranty statement depends upon the tire and its rating.

For example, the Michelin (and most other manufacturers for all-season tires) Pilot Sport All Season that I have on my staggered X4 shows:
--"6 Years / 45,000 Miles Half mileage for rear if different size than front"

I use Discount exclusively (20yrs) for all my tire needs and that is a lot and they always cut me good deals....BUT here lately they have not been able to balance tires correctly the 1st time around, strip out lug nuts, over tighten lugs, and other workmanship issues. I mean I really am disappointed. I think it's the high turnover rate in lower paying retail type jobs that is the main culprit.

Two cars I took to Discount felt like they were on square wheels when I got them back. Some reason within the last year or two their ability to balance tires has disappeared completely.

I have a 2005 Mercedes S500 with OEM staggered tire configuration. The rear tires I purchase always have a treadwear of 500 (or more) last no longer than 17k miles. I have tried Continental, Bridgestone, and even Goodyear tires once. Michelin highest treadwear for this S500 is 300, so I don't purchase Michelins for this vehicle. I have Michelins on all my other vehicles.

About two years ago I purchased Bridgestones for this S500 in Salt Lake City from Discount Tire. They lasted about 17k miles. The Bridgestones have a 50k mile warranty. Last year Discount Tire in Columbia, SC replaced the Bridgestone, with a very generous mileage credit. I now live in the Seattle area, and the rear tires had about 17k on them, and the tires worn below safe tread levels again. Discount Tire again replaced the tires with a very generous mileage credit.

The reason I post this- is the mileage credit is 100 percent hassle free. I don't need to provide receipts of the tire purchase, Bridgestone doesn't have to approve the credit. Discount Tire tracks the tire purchase to my VIN, they track the mileage. Completely hassle free.

Discount Tire, like all chain auto shops, have workmanship issues. But with their tire replacement policy being hassle free and no upsell, I am a customer for life. And of note, I am not one to ever send in for a rebate, or keep a receipt.
You do understand that most tire manufacturers state that mileage warranties are halved if tires are installed on a staggered vehicle, right?

Leave it to me to be the odd man out, but I had a bad experience at DT and I won't darken their door again. In August 2019 we purchased four new tires for my wife's car. First rotation was due around Christmastime, and I took the car in to DT for the rotation. Normally I take my torque wrench and double check any tire work done on my vehicles. (It was Christmas and in the hustle and bustle I forgot the wrench.) Got the rotation done and came home. Later that night I decided to check the work. On the rear driver side I found two lug nuts cross threaded and one lug with no nut as the threads on the lug had been destroyed. Next day I had the dealer where the car was purchased replace the lugs to the tune of about $200. (dealer prices) To their credit DT did pay the bill, but I can't put my family's safety on a company that put us on the road in that condition. Glad everyone has had seemingly good experiences with DT, but for me it is a big NO. YMMV.

Leave it to me to be the odd man out, but I had a bad experience at DT and I won't darken their door again. In August 2019 we purchased four new tires for my wife's car. First rotation was due around Christmastime, and I took the car in to DT for the rotation. Normally I take my torque wrench and double check any tire work done on my vehicles. (It was Christmas and in the hustle and bustle I forgot the wrench.) Got the rotation done and came home. Later that night I decided to check the work. On the rear driver side I found two lug nuts cross threaded and one lug with no nut as the threads on the lug had been destroyed. Next day I had the dealer where the car was purchased replace the lugs to the tune of about $200. (dealer prices) To their credit DT did pay the bill, but I can't put my family's safety on a company that put us on the road in that condition. Glad everyone has had seemingly good experiences with DT, but for me it is a big NO. YMMV.
I would have been in the manager's face for sure. Out of control employee - even if he was green, still manager's fault.

I would have been in the manager's face for sure. Out of control employee - even if he was green, still manager's fault.
Trust me brother...I was in his face. Even though I have 50+ year old knees, as a result I now do ALL my rotations. I buy tires online and let my local Ford dealer who has a good service department do my installs. (Still check after them though.) Seems like it is tougher and tougher to find someone who does their jobs the right way anymore.

You do understand that most tire manufacturers state that mileage warranties are halved if tires are installed on a staggered vehicle, right?
Never heard that. Discount tire service writers have never brought that up. Thanks for sharing that, I was not aware.

Bad experience today with brand new wheels scratched at discount tire
20221102_120235.jpg
20221102_114628.jpg
20221102_124026.jpg

That's the inside of the wheel....right?
Yes sir brand new they applied wheel weights the pried them off with a flat metal screwdriver then used a 3m scuff pad to half asssed attempt to remove the adhesive from the wheel weights

And yes I realize it's the inside but they are painted black and going on a vehicle with a Brembo rotor/ powdercoat calipers

Needed to balance tires two months ago.
Few days later I am preparing car for track day, find 2 bolts not tighten on rear left wheel.
Just one of numerous stories like that.
Costco is IMO much better place. I still buy tires from DT as they have better selection of max performance tires I use on track, but I learned to live with disappointment.
All other tires (all seasons and winter) I get in Costco.

I'm in the opposite corner as of last night.. done with DT. At the least the North Oak location in KC, I might try other locations for the RV. Should of taken the Festiva back right away but I don't drive it alot and didn't feel like waiting for 2 hours. Finally went back last night since I thought it was a lifetime balance but nope. Could of raised heck and had them redo it last night but didn't want to wait for 2 hours, one of the tires didn't have a weight on it. The local place rebalanced two the fronts for $10 and in last ten minutes. Done with Firestone's also, realized I didn't have alot of issues still I started going to tire shops not Walmart.

I just bought 4 Michelin M/S tires at my closest DT which is still 75 miles away from me. They were swamped but told me to return in two hours. They kept me posted by text as to progress and the car was done on time. Michelin has a rebate through "selected dealers". Turned out DT wasn't one of them...but the rebate was almost the exact amount that I would have paid at my Ford dealer over the DT price. Plus, DT had the tires in stock. All my local shops showed them as being on back order.

One minor annoyance: when I went to register the tires on line with Michelin I discovered that the date code was on the inside of each tire. I could A: drive 150 miles to put the car on a hoist at DT or B: get out my floor jack and jackstands to crawl under and look for the codes. I went with "B" but it won't stop me from going back to DT next time.

The discount tire here is brand new and the only ones around with road force balancers. After chasing tire problems on my last purchase I will never buy at a place without road force balancers again. I didn't even know it was a thing.

Costco won't warrant your tires if your membership lapses. They will also not put anything other than OEM size tires on. Probably not a problem for most, but I run slightly different than OEM on 2 of my rigs and the 3rd will go that way soon.

Back