Got to use woolwax - first impressions......

I got to undercoat my 2013 Taurusceptor on friday and was quite impressed with its thick viscosity. This should be superior to the fluid film im used to using. I had a 5 gal pale for about 8 months but had to go thru my prior batch of fluid film first. Let me tell you this stuff is thick and requires you to heat it up on a coleman stove in a pot. Gone are the days spraying in the mid 40's.

Overall it layers on nice and thick, and does not seem to drip that much. Here is the issue. In the pale, it does not smell all that terrible, there is an odor, and at first I found it more subtle than fluid film. Fluid firm is very antiseptic smelling and smells terrible for about 3 weeks. If you think that is bad, nothing compares to the spoiled mink oil / deepfried road kill smell of Woolwax once it is applied. I can literally smell my car 20 feet away. There must be somthing the air does to its formula that makes the smell come out. How long will that take to go away?

well fluidfilm to me smells like sheepbutt.
woolwax is a similar thicker product.

I think they both reek.. but it will go away eventually.

I've been using wool grease for over 40 years to undercoat my cars. I never had to heat it up. I was told to thin it out with mineral spirits for spraying. The mineral spirits flash off after application.

I don't warm woolwax up just shake well and it liquifies. I also only spray above 50F and spray at 80 PSI at the gun seems best. I do have one of their spray guns.

This is my first year doing it and have sprayed 4 vehicles. Does not spray that great with the 360 wand even in warm temps, but sprays real well with the straight wand or no wand. Smell was not bad and disappeared in 2 days. Definitely need something thinner when using the 360 wand.

Next year I will try creep and crawl wax for the cavities at the end of summer when temps are still in the 80s.

Woolwax stays put but does not seem to creep.

I don't warm woolwax up just shake well and it liquifies.
I agree. Bring it to a local paint store and have them put the can on the shaker for you and let them shake it up before using it. That beats heating and/or stirring it. It is also better to spray it at temperatures above 60F if you can.

Woolwax used to have a pleasant scent to it. Kind of like a hand lotion. Each batch you buy is a bit different though. Either way, they seem to have done away with the nice smell. The current 5gal pail I have of WW isn't the nice hand lotion smell. You can add peppermint oil to it or the likes. Probably good for deterring rodents if nothing else.

We have been using Krown since they came to the states in I believe 2010 maybe?? I didn’t hear about woolwax til years later. Does it setup like wax?

My experience with Krown is it goes on like WD40, but seems to visually disappear after a short while. Apparently though it is still there doing it's thing. There are a lot of cars out there treated annually and biannually to Krown that are immaculate underneath after many years with easy to remove fasteners etc.

I use a product called Lanogaurd which is very similar to Woolwax. It goes on like a thicker oil, smells like sheep and lets up to a tacky wax. Also works well!

Reactions: JTK
The woolwax still stinks today. Dead animal. Might be a deal breaker for me. I had no choice but to heat it on a stove and I hope I did not ruin it. I hated the smell of fluid film, but would gladly take it over this.

I thought a few nice highway trips and some rain would tone it down. Nope.

Last edited:
The woolwax still stinks today. Dead animal. Might be a deal breaker for me. I had no choice but to heat it on a stove and I hope I did not ruin it. I hated the smell of fluid film, but would gladly take it over this.

I thought a few nice highway trips and some rain would tone it down. Nope.

Once it wears off or if you decide to remove it, use noxudol.

Woolwax to me has more of a solvent smell to it. This is my third year of using it and it is definitely different from fluid film. Its weird to me that you can pour it at room temperature but it won't spray unless heated at least not well. I put my sprayer bottles in a crock pot with water to heat them up and that works well. It also seems to stay put better than fluid film but I don't think it creeps like fluid film does. I still use fluid film inside of body panels and places where I want it to creep.

My experience with Krown is it goes on like WD40, but seems to visually disappear after a short while. Apparently though it is still there doing it's thing. There are a lot of cars out there treated annually and biannually to Krown that are immaculate underneath after many years with easy to remove fasteners etc.

I use a product called Lanogaurd which is very similar to Woolwax. It goes on like a thicker oil, smells like sheep and lets up to a tacky wax. Also works well!
I agree Krown goes on like a thin oil. I know all the vehicles I have used it on are rust free in all places. My 2010 ram has been done since .2013 and it is black underneath from the Krown collecting dust but if I wipe it off it’s super clean. I’ve heard of some doing a wash underneath to start over fresh. I know also in the summer that Krown will streak my truck from it getting hot and moving. That’s a downside of it but one I’m willing to accept for the fact I may never need to buy another heavy duty diesel truck. Krown sold me years ago when they said their number 2 customers in Canada was Pepsi and coke.

I haven’t heard of Lanoguard. I know many in my area using old oil, I don’t think it’s affective at all. Goes on, makes a mess and washes off over time.

How would you... I don't want to know.

Lanolin with its enticing smell will likely attract bugs unless a repellent is added. Unless highly refined, lanolin will also go rancid. I think I'd rather use body cavity wax.

Haven't had an issue with either of those problems in ten years of use on my F150. Only "issues" is that it is quite messy. You WILL get much dirtier on any given repair if your vehicle has been treated with FF/WW.

My wife says Fluid Film smells like BO and is instantly unhappy each fall when I apply it. May need to try Krown in the future since Woolwax stinks as well.

I've been using Surface Shield which is a similar product, and to me it smells exactly like moist topsoil. If you've ever been to a construction site in it's early phases when they're still stripping away the topsoil and putting it in a stockpile... That's the smell.

I applied it a couple weeks ago on a Sunday, and on Monday I took a shower and put on clean clothes and went to work, but I could still smell it. I think it had soaked into my skin!

Back