Got hit with a shopping cart...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not happy...I had no dents in my near 9 year old car until today. It made two little dents, along with scratches that a cannot feel. (was able to scrape a little bit off) It bugging me would be an understatement. What would be the best way to go about fixing it? (I do have a few pictures of the carnage, but imageshack doesn't want to load the size..)

Because the paint is in good shape, it really sticks out...
frown.gif

paintless dent removal by a pro. Also, there are are some detail shops that can correct clear coat scratches with polish or clear coat fill then color sand and polish. Do not attempt yourself. Not worth it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Russell
paintless dent removal by a pro. Also, there are are some detail shops that can correct clear coat scratches with polish or clear coat fill then color sand and polish. Do not attempt yourself. Not worth it.

I would agree. Paintless dent removal is your best bet. I know in my area they have guys who do this mobile and come right to your driveway. Depending on how deep the scratches are I would be unable to tell you your best course of action. If it was only clear coat you might be able to buff with Meguiars Ultimate compound and finish it off with Meguiars swirlX but depending on how deep the damage is you might have to have it done professionally.

There are many places for paintless dent remoaval. Most body shops offer the services. High end detail shops may also provide the service in addition to other work.
I have heard of shops that offer only paint correction with airbrush, clear coat repair/fill etc. Just not in my area.

We had two very small dents on our MDX removed by a PDR guy. The dents were even on body lines, and it's nearly impossible to tell they were there to begin with. Knowing where they were, I can make out an extremely slight mark if I shine the light at it and look straight down the body line. In other words, they're practically invisible.

I think we paid $75 for each dent.

So sorry to hear this. I too try to keep my cars absolutely like new, and have been pretty successful. It is really horrible when the slobbiness/laziness/carelessness of others damages your stuff which you care about.

My 82 MB got a dent like this in its door, and being the only dent and being a coupe with long doors, I could really notice it. I took it to a body shop which had a good history doing the paintless. Despite the paint being nearly 30 years old at the time, there was no paint damage or harm. It looked great.

The aint wasnt scratched below the paint surface, so I just left it and applied a good coat of polish and then wax. Can't see it.

a few weeks ago I was pulling into a spot when I watched a woman push her cart away, get in and drive off (pretty quickly it seemed, when she say what she did)and the cart was coming right towards my drivers door. I was able to back up somewhat when my wife yelled at me about the car behind me (my wife didn't see the speeding cart, nor did the person behind me anticipate my attempted avoidance maneuver)
the cart 'just' caught my front bumper, left me with a 4" scratch.

just thought I'd share, I feel your pain
frown.gif

It's stories like this that make me want to never take my car out of the garage. Just drive a beat up pickup around.

But seriously, most paintless dent guys do good work. There are a few bad ones out there, hopefully you dont experience that. If you can't get your fingernail to grab on the scratch, it'll buff out.

If it doesn't need to be perfect, the cheap option is to get some polishing compound and polish it out. I'm not sure what to recommend because the only stuff I've used was borrowed from my father. I'll have to check his garage next time I'm there. My ex used to scrape the front corner of her bumper on her garage entrance regularly, leaving scratches and big streaks of white paint. I polished it out a few times and it always looked pretty good. That car is a bit of a beater though.

If you want perfect for a couple hundred bucks, then talk to a paintless dent removal shop.

I've had PDR done a couple times in the past. They did a fantastic job and the prices were decent. Only downside is that in both cases, the cars had another ding or two within 6 months.

I don't think I would ever bother again if the car is a daily driven vehicle that gets parked in lots.

Check with your local luxury car dealer's used car department. Ask them who the use to get the dings out on trades.

Originally Posted By: mount
It's stories like this that make me want to never take my car out of the garage. Just drive a beat up pickup around.
And ride what to the grocery store, where these stray carts are flying around....? haha.

Yea.....most of the mishaps don't happen in the drive way....but at malls, and shopping centers.....lazy Americans :p

Originally Posted By: pottymouth
I've had PDR done a couple times in the past. They did a fantastic job and the prices were decent. Only downside is that in both cases, the cars had another ding or two within 6 months.

I don't think I would ever bother again if the car is a daily driven vehicle that gets parked in lots.

Check with your local luxury car dealer's used car department. Ask them who the use to get the dings out on trades.

It is entirely possible to not get dents when parking in lots. Its all about how and where you park. Try to minimize walking distance like every other obese, lazy person, and their lack of respect means smacking your car to get their fat rear in the door, or slide their kinds into some carseat.

Park a bit further away, and youll still have the random whacko that parks nearby, but far less often.

Also pay attention to the slope of the lot. Carts roll downhill afterall...

Originally Posted By: ronbo
Dents can be removed with dry ice or hair dryer/can of air (duster) . See www.youtube many examples

I actually thought about trying that. I've heard of someone who tried it and got it to work...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Also park upwind.

Originally Posted By: MaxPilot
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Also park upwind.

If you can...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back