good source of news?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: cjcride
BBC

I have always liked the BBC and I am a conservative (hard to find in Massachusetts.) I also like their international news.

Read CNN, Russia Today, BBC and Al Jazeera - then make your own decision as to the state of current affairs.
I think new outlets have agendas based on ownership and readership, and I think that if I read the 'official line' from all of them I'll see all the angles and all the spins on an event, to allow me to make up my own mind.

www.newser.com for a quick glance on what's going on.

For more in-depth stuff, very few sources beat http://www.independent.co.uk or http://www.theguardian.com/international

The US mainstream media are very shallow and generally extremely biased. Not worth your time.

There are alternative sources for opinion in the US, check www.unz.com (a conservative site) and then you can follow the links at the bottom they have for other alternative sources both liberal and conservative.

For TV and video, Russia Today is what provides a comprehensive coverage as to what is happening in the world. It runs counter to what you get on our TV so they are criticized a lot. But if you keep an open mind, it's a very valuable source. Especially their Ruptly service.

Originally Posted By: JerryBob

Journalists are usually highly perceptive and analytical people, requiring the use of their frontal cortex. Conservatives tend to use their brain stem and amygdala - you know, the reptilian functions.

So, yeah, liberalism and journalism do seem to be correlated.

Nice...

Is gross over-simplification and stereotyping those who hold viewpoints with which you disagree also a hallmark of liberals?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kuato
Originally Posted By: SR5

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/

Agreed; I also like BBC and RT online. Between those three there is a great look at world news not just how the US is doing in the world.

We are on the same page here.

Originally Posted By: Cadenza
Agreed - the NYT is bird cage liner.

They're usually not too bad. But when they're writing articles about how Trump needs to be stopped or the headline is about how to stop Trump, then you know they're no longer unbiased.

Just open an incognito window and you can get around the 10 article limit per month.

Originally Posted By: bradepb
How about some suggestions for online general news browsing? Without a thousand popup ads? Kind of boring at work lately. Preferably unbiased and lets not let this get political please.

News website makes money from ads so I suspect there is probably not any of them that does not have ads.

Use a pop-up blocker or a tracker blocker to reduce them.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

Just open an incognito window and you can get around the 10 article limit per month.

Can you clue us in on how to do that

Originally Posted By: SeaJay

Can you clue us in on how to do that

If you use Chrome, you just open the article in an incognito window. Once you read 10 articles in that window, it won't open more articles. But you just close that window and start up a new incognito window and you can read 10 more. So you can read it every day. IE and Firefox call it something else.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
Originally Posted By: cjcride
BBC

I have always liked the BBC and I am a conservative (hard to find in Massachusetts.) I also like their international news.

I find the BBC's angle on N.A. news interesting as well. For free news about science or the environment with a moderate level of detail, the BBC, CBC, Aus. BC, are really the only source I've found.

If you use Chrome, you just open the article in an incognito window.

... and which Firefox calls a "Private Window". The site(s) that limit the number of reads you can access in a month use data about you in file(s) that are stored, likely, as "cookies" on your computer locally; but these Incognito or Private browsing sessions do not store these cookies after you've closed the window.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
If you use Chrome, you just open the article in an incognito window.

... and which Firefox calls a "Private Window". The site(s) that limit the number of reads you can access in a month use data about you in file(s) that are stored, likely, as "cookies" on your computer locally; but these Incognito or Private browsing sessions do not store these cookies after you've closed the window.

Thanks for the info on Firefox. It works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back