Good basic wireless printer for less than $100?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just want to get a basic wireless printer. Will just be used basically for documents. No pictures. Would like one that replacement ink is not too expensive. Thanks!

Don't get a Canon, they eat ink like crazy and are always going through a ton of rig-a-ma-row prior to a printing a job. Two full minutes of clanking, clicking, humming, and rattling to align whatever, then 10 seconds of printing. That's our Pixima MX870, a complete POS.

I bought a Kodak and so far very impressed.

The wireless works perfect for both scanning and printing. The black and white is very good. The color is great.

Cost of ink is the lowest of the bunch. I've owned HP, Canon and now Kodak because of the refilling of the newer printers is such a hassle I wanted something that I can just get carts and go.

My last printer was a Canon and I bought refilled carts from the internet which worked great. But then the print head died and it was more expensive than a new printer.

Like I said so far. I've owned it about 6 months now. Its used with many Laptops and 3 desktops running Win xp and Win 7.

Bill

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Don't get a Canon...

I can't say that at all.

We've got a Canon Pixma MX330 and it's been awesome. I bought it about around 2yrs ago because Canon ink cartridges were cheaper than many of the others. It doesn't blow through ink any faster than any of the other brands I've owned.

Joel

Don't get a Canon, they eat ink like crazy and are always going through a ton of rig-a-ma-row prior to a printing a job. Two full minutes of clanking, clicking, humming, and rattling to align whatever, then 10 seconds of printing. That's our Pixima MX870, a complete POS.

Funny, that's not the experience I've had with my Pixma MX870. My only complaint is the cost of the ink.

I had a Kodak, but it broke in about 3 weeks.

why not get a cheap laser. Way cheaper cost to print... its Black white and grayscale though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828113545

wireless with duplex.

if you want to pay more you can even get the scanner/fax/copier etc model.

printers are somewhat like tires.. they all make cheap..cheaper...junk...

err good.. bad.. trash..

Cant really classify it by manufacturer

I have the non duplex model of the one I linked above.. 16000pages and still going. It does have a faint line on an edge.. might be about time for a drum replacement.

Last edited:
I have the Brother laser printer referenced by Rand and have had no issues with it, although I haven't had to replace the print cartridge yet.

Originally Posted By: SnPb
I have the Brother laser printer referenced by Rand and have had no issues with it, although I haven't had to replace the print cartridge yet.

I think that one is also the same as Canon (They are made by the same mfg) and I've got a Samsung but most of the lasers come with a starter cartridge. Good for *maybe* 1000 pages then its new cartridge time and its an easy $40-60 for it. (WATCH OUT FOR SOME OF THE refilled carts. They can and DO damage the unit. Don't ask me how I know)

My Samsung is a great printer (wish it was wireless) but the cartridges do cost quite a bit. And I've found that the print from an Inkjet (once it dries) looks better than toner on paper. Esp if you use decent paper.

But for raw printing the laser does work.

Bill

The Canon Pixma all in ones use tiny cartridges,uses 6 of them,and they cannot be refilled (try it,it wont print due to the chip saying they are empty still).Try using the flatbed scanner (for a COPY),it just sits there and makes little internal noises for what seems 5 minutes.Obviously the scan carriage is scanning the document,but geez.An ink hog,they consume the color cartridges even when printing just black! Sorry,its a quality piece,but its way too complicated.

There is not much difference among all the cheap printers. Get whichever one has the lowest-cost ink (per page, not cartridges...some cartridges are cheap because they're laughably small).

I think a used B&W laser is a good bet.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
The Canon Pixma all in ones use tiny cartridges,uses 6 of them,and they cannot be refilled...

Some Pixmas might, but mine uses 1 color and 1 black cartridge. They can be bought in regular or XL.

Joel

Last edited:
I stopped using our canon pixima due to ink cartridge price issues. Been using a hand me down Hp printer with cheap ink refilled.

Originally Posted By: Rand
why not get a cheap laser. Way cheaper cost to print... its Black white and grayscale though.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828113545

wireless with duplex.

Got one setting in my home office. Had the previous model (without wirelss) for 4 years before it finally started to misbehave. The original went 15,000 pages without replacing the drum unit.

The secret with these machines is that if you cover up the little "window" on each side of the toner cartridge with black electrical tape you'll get 1/2 again if not more life out of it. The toner will warn it is low and then out and stop functioning when there is still plenty left.

If you put the tape on it once you get the warning light for low toner and then gently rock the cartridge back and forth every 100pgs or you'll get much more out of it.

I did 2,800 pages on the "starter cartridge" using the tape method.

Also is not problem using aftermarket toner on these.

The drums themselves seem to outlast the internal mechanical components of the printer. All in all $89 for 4 years of printing plus $70 worth of toner for 15,000 pages isn't terrible. Factoring in the paper ($120) it works out to 1.8 cents/page.

I got a refrib Brothers wireless laser printer. I love it. Got it from staples for under $100 for sure. Printed about 150 pages and toner looks good.

My old canon would only do 125-140 pages per ink.

I have to say Canon. All inkjet printers use ink to "clean" the printheads before each use, if it's a few days or more between uses. The few times I've actually used my MP640 a LOT, the ink cartridges lasted quite a few pages. I had to print out a book, and it was 220 double sided pages, and there was still ink left in the cartridge. Color is similarly impressive with photos.

If you let it sit for a while, yes it is going to feel like you hardly have printed anything and it's out of ink. Also, notice that Canon has been the #1 recommended brand by I think PCWorld magazine for like 5 years. Mean anything? Dunno, but it makes me feel better. My canon has been far less troublesome than my parents HP.

I can't speak for ink usage yet, but I can say my Pixma MP280 is the loudest, most clackity printer I've ever had. Aside from that I don't really have any complaints. The print quality is actually pretty decent for a cheap ink jet. I only do occasional printing at home, so for $38 I can put up with the Pixma's racket. The base model wireless Pixma is only about $50.

Before this I had a bottom grade HP ink jet and ended up just tossing it. The printer was dirt cheap, but the ink cartridge was super expensive. The quality was awful and sometimes it would just hemorrhage ink. I don't remember what model the HP was, but I got it at Wal-Mart around 2007 or so. The Canon is actually a huge step up from the HP I had in features and quality for about the same price.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
I bought a Kodak and so far very impressed.

The wireless works perfect for both scanning and printing. The black and white is very good. The color is great.

Cost of ink is the lowest of the bunch. I've owned HP, Canon and now Kodak because of the refilling of the newer printers is such a hassle I wanted something that I can just get carts and go.

My last printer was a Canon and I bought refilled carts from the internet which worked great. But then the print head died and it was more expensive than a new printer.

Like I said so far. I've owned it about 6 months now. Its used with many Laptops and 3 desktops running Win xp and Win 7.

Bill

Thank you Bill and to all for the advice! I ended up with a Kodak. I believe its a 2170. 4 in 1. Not all that was needed but it was only $69 with good reviews. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back