Basic dumb phone for a kid

i BELIEVE that EMF is NOT healthy for ANYONE especially youngies + 5 G is worse!! like anything else its a choice!! i have Red Pockets $60 yearly as i rarely use it. GSMA worked fine on my cheep TCL A30 but NOT on my better?? TCL 10 Pro that could only use GSMT both androids, nice to have but a real racket $$ + like many places its hard to communicate with them so thank god for chat!!

Last edited:
i BELIEVE that EMF is NOT healthy for ANYONE especially youngies + 5 G is worse!! like anything else its a choice!!
All of modern science would disagree with you. EMF does not damage DNA. Worst-case scenario it could make you slightly warmer due to absorption of energy (in the case of cell phones, not enough to even measure).

As far as answering the question, "dumb phones" and feature phones are becoming harder to come by. I would look at buying a cheap iPhone SE or similar and just locking everything down with parental controls.

Any recommendations for a basic (voice and text only) phone that would work with Red Pocket?

I'm looking at this AGM phone:

But I can't get a straight answer from either Red Pocket nor AGM whether it would actually work with Red Pocket. It just says it's compatible with T-Mobile, and Red Pocket does use T-Mobile's network, but will it work?

I'm open to other suggestions - as basic as possible and long battery life would be best.
Reach out to the seller on Amazon.

Maybe they can give you an example IEMI that matches the phone.

Or, just ask if the IEMI is on the box.

If it is, order it, run it through one of the checkers and if it doesn't pass, return the phone.

This is really a question for the seller or manufacturer.
Then you have to get the right "flavor" of RedPocket for this to work.

As far as answering the question, "dumb phones" and feature phones are becoming harder to come by. I would look at buying a cheap iPhone SE or similar and just locking everything down with parental controls.

The US version of the AGM phone has bands 2, 5, and 12, which would be a good match for T-Mobile. AGM also has a website where they sell direct for the same $49 price.

He's 9. It's just for emergencies when he stays at home while we are out.

I currently have a landline that he can use, but I'm planning to ditch it since it costs $50/month. So I'm basically looking for a cheaper alternative. The Red Pocket plan is $30 for an entire year. Just need a cheap phone to go with it. Don't want him to play games on it, hence the dumb phone idea.
Lots of 9 year-olds in the several schools I transport kids with, have regular phones, just like Dad and Mom. Most times, it's Mom's or Dad's prior phone. It's then up to the parents / guardians to monitor (or shut-off) the internet portion of their phones.

Last edited:
Thanks, but all those budget Nokia phones seem to have terrible reviews. Nokia is not what it used to be 20 years ago.
It's not. Because it's better.
All those "terrible reviews" come from kids who only know smartphones. So when they get a dumb phone like Nokia - they complain about it not being smart.
I don't think 100% dumb phone is the answer. But a Nokia 6300 is a good middle ground.
- Good battery life.
- Good basic phone functions.
- But in case of bad cellular service - there is an option to connect to any WiFi and use WhatsApp or Google Maps, in their most simplistic forms. Don't expect much, but you'll get the basics, in case (God forbids) the kid is lost, but has a phone and free WiFi nearby.
--->Nokia 6300 4G | Unlocked | Dual SIM | WiFi Hotspot | Social Apps | Google Maps and Assistant | Light Charcoal https://a.co/d/bqXboIG

But a Nokia 6300 is a good middle ground.
- Good battery life.
- Good basic phone functions.
- But in case of bad cellular service - there is an option to connect to any WiFi and use WhatsApp or Google Maps, in their most simplistic forms. Don't expect much, but you'll get the basics, in case (God forbids) the kid is lost, but has a phone and free WiFi nearby.
--->Nokia 6300 4G | Unlocked | Dual SIM | WiFi Hotspot | Social Apps | Google Maps and Assistant | Light Charcoal https://a.co/d/bqXboIG
Thanks, but this Nokia phone is littered with bloatware and ads that you cannot remove unless you're willing to hack the phone.

My 11yo has an iPhone.

The parental controls are very comprehensive and the phone can be as "basic" as you want it to be.
My 9 year old uses without a cell plan her 18 year old sisters old iPhone with smashed back/battery exposed(clear sticker/case holding together).

She uses iMessages for text and FaceTime to talk. Also FB messenger kids with us.

We control her few apps and deleted safari browser.

I don't know how much bloat there can be on a Nokia 225 as it only has something like 100mb of 'space', I've never used one. They work on anything T-Mobil. Same price on the Online Flea Market (amazon)

Maybe cruise Reddit r/dumbphones?

There is also a dumbphone website that might help. Dumbphones(dot)org

1714345620986.jpg

Back