Goals for myself, and a plan. Let's discuss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I was looking for the update after the 6:00pm when he was going to get his vehicle back from the shop. Is there any other explanation?

1. Shop changed it from "6PM tonight" to "first thing today." This was smart: They wanted to let the exhaust cool, to do it right.

2. I am about to go over there now because by now my car should have a sticker.

Give me about an hour or more if the car is still at inspection! They close at 4:30, the Secaucus place.

it either has a sticker or a red sticker with a VOR or VIR...

Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs

I even had a light turn on at work today..

What about charging folks $20 to take them to the airport, whereas the glorified Lincoln Towncar, etc. used to charge $50 and now charge $65 and $70? Could get another phone, KEEP IT, and run people from city to city, NOT on the meter.

In spare time.

yes?

The principal flaw in this idea is insurance. You're proposing a commercial operation, and you'll need insurance to match. That's expensive, and will likely stipulate several things that you're unable to provide at the moment...

One other thing: does $20 really cover the entire cost of running them to/from? Including insurance, gas, vehicle depreciation, maintenance/tires...everything?

I like the idea, but the practical reality might not work. Please note: a good friend of mine tried this once - 2 year old Suburban, credit card device, big client pool (including me, I always used him) and charged $75 for the 35 miles...but the insurance and other costs were prohibitive...and he gave up, even at that price...

What about charging folks $20 to take them to the airport, whereas the glorified Lincoln Towncar, etc. used to charge $50 and now charge $65 and $70? Could get another phone, KEEP IT, and run people from city to city, NOT on the meter.

How will you get clients?

Also, this may require you to register a business to do it legally. Still, worth looking into.

That's a jitney service and generally confined to poor areas. There is a lot of risk to your safety, such as getting robbed.

Airport/affluent areas you'll get nailed for not having the proper licensing and insurance in place.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Also, this may require you to register a business to do it legally. Still, worth looking into.

And guaranteed once someone gets wind of it you will need a NJ Livery License and the rest of the junk that goes along with it. IOW - don't do it.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Craigslist.

Something like: "GOING A FEW TOWNS OVER ,OR AIRPORT? SAVE SOME $$ I DO IT FOR $25!"

I'd use the Blazer...
E-mail..
Smartphone..

?

And yeah, Insurance wouldnt add up but I could price myself that low and pocket the money.

Idea would be someone would say, "Hey, I need to go from Linden to Union City. $20?" I-d e-mail back and say "Yes I can be there at 2:30 I get off work at 2 where am I going"

Originally Posted By: dishdude

That's a jitney service and generally confined to poor areas. There is a lot of risk to your safety, such as getting robbed.

Airport/affluent areas you'll get nailed for not having the proper licensing and insurance in place.

^^ I did read an article that they "look" for this now, with Livery plates, etc? What makes THEM so special???

Though I fear you may be right.

But what about NOT the airport...

Craigslist.

Something like: "GOING A FEW TOWNS OVER ,OR AIRPORT? SAVE SOME $$ I DO IT FOR $25!"

Personally, I would never look for a ride on CL for obvious reasons, but maybe some do.
smile.gif
Too many crazies out there. Stay safe.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Please don't bait him: This is a help forum after all, so help, or get out of the thread.

I agree; GHT is all right in my book. I think most of us are rooting for his success.

Absolutely. You need to get your income up so that you can start to be self-sufficient and also get out of your seemingly not great living situation. Minimum-wage jobs arent going to get you there... So the path to do this may take a good long time. That's why you need to set up a plan with intermediate goals that you can shoot for along your "path".

Should I try for a 2nd job?
do you have skills or are you taking orders at a register?

OK! Well, time to start the overdue "Goals" thread i said I would make (separately.) Let's take inventory, to start:

1. The job is saved. Truck started. Hallelujah. I thought I was gonna have to scrap it and get that Regal.. Well, the truck has the amount of a decent used car in it (read; perfect used car) in it, so, am married to it. Is a keeper. Goal there: Make it RUN RIGHT. Get it what it needs. Will be vehicle for awhile. Fully registered/insured. So.. No new adventures in car for me. Taurus and Volvo 2 are dead.
Goal: Volvo 3, re-assess Blazer. I want two cars. Then, when really successful: Keep flipping the 3rd, and/or Volvo.

2. SSI: ??????? - Next appointment is November 4th, and i still make UNDER the Substantial Gainful Employment amount. And I will again qualify, legally, for Earned Income Credit this year. Again. Under amount.

3. Cash: I have $300 cash. Have not spent on anything. I want to make it grow. Unsure when first paycheck will come.

Let's discuss!

*This thread was suggested by JHZR2 and I oblige.

So the TL;DR for your post is:
"I want two cars, then 3, (a Volvo no less), while I fight for SSI, and have $300 to my name..."

My god, I make well above the national average, and could buy a very nice car tomorrow cash, and I can't part with my one and only Corolla... Do you ever want to save for a house, retirement, etc? You REALLY need a priority check, save up to at least $20k in savings/emergencies, max out your retirement, etc... before you even THINK about a second car.

EDIT: Just saw that you posted that you have your credit maxed out. My GOD, pay that before you think of even spending $1 on a coffee, let alone more unnecessary money into a vehicle. I use credit cards strictly for rewards points, PIF (pay in full) every time the statement comes. I realize all can't do this, but if you are accruing debt faster than paying, re-check your long-term goals. (I borrowed high 5-figures for college which I am managing and paying off now, so I know that certain debt can be strategically used).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back