Sometimes you can hit a home run and no one will even know it.

Yesterday I hit two of them.

There was a gold 2000 Ford Ranger that had been donated to a charity. The charity marked in big bold letters that it had a bad transmission. Yet it had no key and the owner who had it for over 20 years had obvious borderline OCD tendencies.

Not only did it look showroom new with none of the coffee stains and rips that mar most 20+ year old trucks, but the owner printed out the entire owner's manual, page to page, on their home computer and stored the 200 pages in a folder underneath the passenger seat.

I bought it for $2900, had new keys made, drove it a good 50+ miles to make sure everything was fine, and sold it for $6995. 120k miles. That new owner is getting one hell of a great truck.

The other home run was getting a popular SUV with super-low miles at a price well under average wholesale. 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with 8,227 miles. Auction bid price was $28,500 when I have seen plenty of others go for well over $30k. Between the post-sale inspection, auction buy fee, my fee, and $300 to transport it from Orlando to Atlanta, the owner will have still bought it for under wholesale average.

Higher interest rates are slowly leveraging cash buyers into a stronger bargaining position. I don't see a crash. But the car market is definitely adjusting to a slower economy.

Yesterday I hit two of them.

There was a gold 2000 Ford Ranger that had been donated to a charity. The charity marked in big bold letters that it had a bad transmission. Yet it had no key and the owner who had it for over 20 years had obvious borderline OCD tendencies.

Not only did it look showroom new with none of the coffee stains and rips that mar most 20+ year old trucks, but the owner printed out the entire owner's manual, page to page, on their home computer and stored the 200 pages in a folder underneath the passenger seat.

I bought it for $2900, had new keys made, drove it a good 50+ miles to make sure everything was fine, and sold it for $6995. 120k miles. That new owner is getting one hell of a great truck.

The other home run was getting a popular SUV with super-low miles at a price well under average wholesale. 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with 8,227 miles. Auction bid price was $28,500 when I have seen plenty of others go for well over $30k. Between the post-sale inspection, auction buy fee, my fee, and $300 to transport it from Orlando to Atlanta, the owner will have still bought it for under wholesale average.

Higher interest rates are slowly leveraging cash buyers into a stronger bargaining position. I don't see a crash. But the car market is definitely adjusting to a slower economy.
So was the transmission bad or not?

It's interesting reading different ways of making money in used cars. Macarose is turning cars that he can buy right and not need to rebuild, Atikovi is buying cars that need all sorts of work and holding some for years apparently before selling. Whatever works. (y)

What’s interesting is a couple folks I know gave up their auction licenses, saying it’s not easy to make money on cars now, as it was in the 90s. It was not their full jobs

The concept works with head gaskets too
So-he potentially sold a car with a bad transmission-vehicles the VAST MAJORITY of the time end up at charities because it doesn't make sense to fix them-as in a 23 year old Ranger. Then came on here to brag about it.

Why am I the only one to call this guy out?

So-he potentially sold a car with a bad transmission-vehicles the VAST MAJORITY of the time end up at charities because it doesn't make sense to fix them-as in a 23 year old Ranger. Then came on here to brag about it.

He's dishonest if he didn't disclose the transmission issues to the buyer. Sad, but this is how some folks are these days. No conscience.

He sells used cars. It's to be expected.

Reactions: CKN
The post doesn't paint any kind of clear picture.
All the OP said was that the charity involved stated the transmission was bad.
No other information on the transmission was given.
He said he drove it, "a good 50+ miles to make sure everything was fine..."
The transmission may have been "fine".

Last edited:
I don't think member macarose is a curbstone car flipper. Recently posted:

Well, I've owned a dealership here in Atlanta for over 20 years and write about the used car market all the time (Google 'Steven Lang and cars'.) If you ever want some guidance feel free to PM me.

I have spent nearly my entire career analyzing the used car market and figuring out which types of vehicles will work best for specific businesses. If you Google long-term quality and click on the first listing, you'll see some of the work that I'm lucky to have done for the benefit of everyday folks looking for their next best car.

Perhaps you haven't been a customer or communicated with him. He is a well known (at least to me) former author of thetruthaboutcars.com and also another website that publishes reliability statistics, for free.

I came pretty close to using his services to purchase a vehicle but the only thing that held me back is i'm 800 miles from where he lives.

Much respect to @macarose

Perhaps you haven't been a customer or communicated with him. He is a well known (at least to me) former author of thetruthaboutcars.com and also another website that publishes reliability statistics, for free.

I came pretty close to using his services to purchase a vehicle but the only thing that held me back is i'm 800 miles from where he lives.

Much respect to @macarose
Whats that got to do with selling a car with a potentially bad transmission? Nobody asked him to post....did they?

Back