GM to partner with China

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.china-briefing.com/news/2011/...nt-venture.html

Quote:
General Motors (GM) recently announced a joint venture (JV) in the promising electric car market with Chinese auto giant, SAIC Motor, in what will be the 11th JV between the two industry leaders. The partnership, Pan Asia Technical Automotive Center (PATAC), will constitute what’s being called “a new electric vehicle architecture” in China with GM and PATAC engineers collaborating on the development of key components and vehicle structures, according to a GM news release.

As expected, GM will bring to the table much of the needed technical expertise and its global network, with SAIC Motor contributing its knowledge of the domestic market and distribution channels. GM innovations in batteries and inverters will be transferred to PATAC, while SAIC will inject an undisclosed cash contribution into the project in recognition of GM`s past and present technological contributions, according to GM`s Vice-Chairman Stephen Girsky.

In the end, the two companies expect to see new innovations hit the market faster, and improved economies of scale, said SAIC President Chen Hong.

And this was interesting:
Quote:
Given these ambitious plans, combined national and municipal subsidies for electric vehicles could total up to US$19,300 per car, likely putting the partnership’s vehicles at a very competitive price in China.

Further proving that these cars exist to funnel government money into car companies, and not to provide cars that people actually want. That subsidy is nearly 3X the country's average annual income.

To he!! with China! I'm sick and tired of every dam product I buy saying "Made in China" on it! It's time America starting making things again and quit outsourcing everyhting!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
iam sick of china and gm!! love ford!!!

I'll take an import over a GM these days! But agreed, Ford, Mazda, and Nissan have kept my family going for a long time and I have no intention of budging!!!

Originally Posted By: grampi
To he!! with China! I'm sick and tired of every dam product I buy saying "Made in China" on it! It's time America starting making things again and quit outsourcing everyhting!

GM will begin exporting Volts built in Michigan to China under this agreement.

The cars developed and built in China are meant for Chinese consumption, imo it's smart for GM and Ford both to be investing in a huge emerging market, and they are. Just as Daimler is, Toyota, Honda and any manufacturer who wants to remain a healthy global manufacturer. If they didn't many around here would label them stupid for not doing so. Cant win whatever they do.

Quote:
As expected, GM will bring to the table much of the needed technical expertise and its global network, with SAIC Motor contributing its knowledge of the domestic market and distribution channels.

Note to everyone hating on China and GM: This is all for Chinese consumption! Not about building GM cars for US consumption in China.

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
iam sick of china and gm!! love ford!!!

I love Ford as well...and I'm glad they are smart enough to be investing heavily in China as well...To ignore this huge emerging market, would be pure ignorance...

Ford Chongqing Transmission Plant

Ford to build Second Engine Plant in China

Ford plans 15 new Vehicles in China market by 2015

"“Together with our partners, we are leveraging the strength of the One Ford plan and our global platforms to bring 15 new vehicles to China by 2015, reinforcing our commitment to offer a full portfolio of vehicles for our Chinese customers," said Joe Hinrichs, president, Ford Asia Pacific and Africa. "Our new lineup will significantly strengthen Ford's penetration in existing segments and drive new growth in others. The 15 new vehicles are part of Ford’s plans to introduce 50 new products and powertrains to the Asia Pacific region by 2015.”

As part of this growth, Ford will more than double the number of dealerships it has in China by 2015, from 340 today. Ford will also double the size of its professional workforce here by 2015, adding 1,200 new jobs."

ps...you might also be interested to know that Henry Ford invested heavily in China almost 100 years ago. It was smart then, it's even smarter today...sure glad some people with vision are in charge of things instead of a bunch of knee jerk reactionairies!

So the Chinese government fritters away its finances as well as or better than the US one. We've taught them well!

It's like the Simpsons where Homer trains the power plant's outsourcing replacements in India-- "He's taught us about sick days, time and a half, cooperative bargaining..."
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS

ps...you might also be interested to know that Henry Ford invested heavily in China almost 100 years ago. It was smart then, it's even smarter today...sure glad some people with vision are in charge of things instead of a bunch of knee jerk reactionairies!

I agree.

But have a feeling the original post was just another poke at the government.

Just another attempt at making something out of nothing.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
The way I read it this will be for vehicles sold in China, not the USA-but I would be more concerned about the transfer of technology than anything else.

Exactly how I see it. China will basically steal and copy GM's technology then one day import cars to the US that are a little cheaper and people will buy them. Then they'll put domestics out of business in the US. They might even build some token plants in the US as wages here continue to fall. Then everyone will say, "see they are made in the US and non-union too. yay!". That's the model isn't it? Japanese>Korean>Chinese.

The cars developed and built in China are meant for Chinese consumption, imo it's smart for GM and Ford both to be investing in a huge emerging market, and they are. Just as Daimler is, Toyota, Honda and any manufacturer who wants to remain a healthy global manufacturer. If they didn't many around here would label them stupid for not doing so. Cant win whatever they do.

I agree that going after the Chinese market is a good thing, but this is a special deal for electric cars specifically to get the government subsidy.

I agree with GM trying to get market penetration in other markets. Isn't that what we want, to gain markets and not just give all ours up? What I don't get about some of posters on here is it's OK for every other automaker to do it, even foreign makers to take US market share, but not GM
crazy.gif
. To quote the recent Honda commercial GM detractors have truely gone from, "true consumer guy to weird moon-landing denier guy".

The only problem I have with dealing with china is long-term they are planning to use these partnerships to take over the market like they have with most other industries.

What very few of you realize, is that in order to do business in china, the chinese government REQUIRES foreign companies to parter with a chinese domestic company.

If the Chinese want to blow billions of dollars on the electric car pipe dream, I say let them. GM invested billions of dollars in the Volt, and they are selling at the rate of about 150 per month. Once the $7500 tax break expires, they'll sell even less of them. Now Government Motors has conned the Chinese into putting up a $19,300 subsidy for each Volt. This is called spreading the losses around.

Originally Posted By: Tempest

I agree that going after the Chinese market is a good thing, but this is a special deal for electric cars specifically to get the government subsidy.

If you mean US built cars sold to China will have a US subsidy, that is basically what foreign makers have been doing for a while isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back