GM 1.4 Ecotec Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, head scratcher for sure, here we give people a hard time for changing their oil too soon and than you get cases like this, 13k isn't terribly long.
Quick lube places could use those pictures at their shop as an example of ( look what happens to your engine if you don't change your oil every 3 months/3k miles ).

I wonder what the service interval is in Australia on that engine. I noticed it was a RHD drive car and had the Holden emblem on the engine cover.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
I predict with all these EcoBoost....EcoTec...engines,there will be lots of turbo related failures coming up.You can only push an engine so hard to produce power before something gives.

Ecoboost turns 5 this year (was introduced on 2009 Fords) and there are no rash turbo failures.

71k on mine with nothing other then oil changes at the dealer when the car says to. Sill runs great and no hint of trouble.

Love the engine so much I bought another - this time in an F150. No real issues on that either.

That makes me flippin mad! Id love to have that engine. Id treat her like the princess she is!
smile.gif

Hello again, There are those cases when you think someone's teenaged neighbor drained good oil from the "new" car and replaced it with old, used, cheap oil.

I'm no paranoid crazy person but isolated instances do challenge the imagination, and as they say; truth is stranger than fiction.

God only knows. Kira

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Something doesn't seem right with the milege and sludge level. Very poor qulity oil, severe overheating for a long period of time or mileage missrepresented.
Many engines run their normal life with turbo chargers. Volvo, Saab and now Subaru are examples of tubo engines getting 150,000 + miles.

My Mazdaspeed 3 is approaching 140k miles running M1 5W-30 with a 7,500 mile OCI. There's no reason the Ecotec shouldn't be just as robust...

Really don't see how any engine can have that amount of sludge and coking in only 13k.

I wonder what my Cruze 1.4 looks like on the inside on a diet of PP changed every 8-9k??

Some observations here.

I have a 2013 Cruze with the same 1.4L Turbo engine shown here. It has 13,000 miles. I drained the factory fill (AC-Delco Syn-blend) @ 4261 miles, refilled with QSUD 5W-30, changed at 0% OLM + 9 miles @ 11923 miles, refilling with Mobil 1 OW-30 this time.

The 2011-2012 Cruze OLM calibration, per knowledgeable posters that have Cruzes such as Sciphi, could go to at least 12000 miles before 0% OLM, so is it possible that the owner was literally following the OLM, which obviously is way out to lunch with a turbocharged engine, on the factory syn-blend?
It's been discussed that this engine destroys the factory oil, but this may be a GM OLM calibration/warranty issue, although I'm guessing that the engine went 1-2K miles past 0% as 12,000 miles would be under ideal conditions, 55-65mph, never shut it off type of driving, etc.

Mine seems to go no further under ideal conditions than 100 miles/1% and with any cold starts, (admittedly rare here in Tucson, since I only had one 30 degree start this "winter" here), the OLM clicks down quicker, averaging around 7500 miles for me per OLM cycle with the 2013 calibration.

Moral of the story, for the 2011-2012 models with the long OLM calibration, a full synthetic, such as QSUD, PP, PU, or M1 is a necessity, and/or changing the oil with say 30% left on the OLM.

It is fascinating and interesting to look at the engine teardown and cleanup. Neat stuff. I recently had the Ecotec vanity cover off and saw the Delphi spark plug protector panel, as I was investigating what was involved in changing the plugs, which in the turbo model is only 60,000 miles even with the iridium plugs.

Gary

I had a 20000 mile 5.0 Caprice come in the shop like that. The oil would not drain out. Not a turbo and customer got a new one under warranty cause she claimed sales manager didn't tell her she was supposed to change oil on new cars. GM didn't want a law suit or bad name so they agreed to replace engine free of charge.

Originally Posted By: tiger862
I had a 20000 mile 5.0 Caprice come in the shop like that. The oil would not drain out. Not a turbo and customer got a new one under warranty cause she claimed sales manager didn't tell her she was supposed to change oil on new cars. GM didn't want a law suit or bad name so they agreed to replace engine free of charge.

Absolutely amazing.

I didn't know you could win a lawsuit for being dumb, that's what the owners manual and maintenance schedule booklet is for. Salesman didn't tell someone they're supposed to change their oil, what a joke.

I predict with all these EcoBoost....EcoTec...engines,there will be lots of turbo related failures coming up.You can only push an engine so hard to produce power before something gives.

You use synthetic oil and actually change it, then you will be just fine. I worry more about gaskets on a turbo than anything else.

Originally Posted By: MCompact

My Mazdaspeed 3 is approaching 140k miles running M1 5W-30 with a 7,500 mile OCI. There's no reason the Ecotec shouldn't be just as robust...

What does a GM motor have to do with your Mazda/Ford motor?

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Something doesn't seem right with the milege and sludge level. Very poor qulity oil, severe overheating for a long period of time or mileage missrepresented.
Many engines run their normal life with turbo chargers. Volvo, Saab and now Subaru are examples of tubo engines getting 150,000 + miles.

+1 a 2005 Subaru Legacy owner on original engine/turbo never internally repaired with 165,000 miles + 3500 mile OCI dino(horrors) changer since brand new.

Especially if you do not add to or change the oil. With all those Ecoboost engines in service, this obviously had something wrong big time. Look how burnt the oil is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back