Glock 40 caliber, should I keep?

I purchased a 40 caliber Glock
30 years ago when 40 caliber was the new “it” cartridge. Now the ammunition is expensive and getting harder to find especially compared to the price and availability of 9MM. Been thinking about trading it or sell. If it was yours, would you keep or sell/trade for a 9mm?
Is there any sentimental value to that pistol? If not, and you truly don’t enjoy it anymore, get rid of it and get something that you would appreciate more.
The reason why I say that is because I still have my first duty-gun issued to me as a Police Officer. A S&W Model 64 M&P. The stories that gun could tell……the phrase “sentimental” doesn’t give it Justice. Best of luck!
Side note: regarding the price of ammo, have you seen the price of .380 ammo lately😲

During the plandemic, .40 s&w was in fact much cheaper than 9mm....9mm was close to 1$ per round, while .40 stayed at about .38$ per round.
I have no idea where you buy your ammo from but you need to shop somewhere else. 9mm was never that expensive at any of the major online vendors during the pandemic.

It is a range gun and my primary self-defense gun. I still like shooting it but feel I could be just as well served with a 9MM and save a heck of a lot on ammo! Unless 40 caliber makes a comeback in popularity
In these pricey times I don't see 40 making a resurgence. Just further dwindling into obscurity.

Is there any sentimental value to that pistol? If not, and you truly don’t enjoy it anymore, get rid of it and get something that you would appreciate more.
The reason why I say that is because I still have my first duty-gun issued to me as a Police Officer. A S&W Model 64 M&P. The stories that gun could tell……the phrase “sentimental” doesn’t give it Justice. Best of luck!
Side note: regarding the price of ammo, have you seen the price of .380 ammo lately😲
Yes, 380 is almost as much or more than 40 caliber

I guess I'm out of the loop, probably for the last 10 years. If .40 isn't as popular anymore, what is the new hot ticket on the market?

I have no idea where you buy your ammo from but you need to shop somewhere else. 9mm was never that expensive at any of the major online vendors during the pandemic.
Thanks for that. I shoot 1000's of rounds a year. SGAmmo, was .90$ per round in 2021-22.

Where do you buy yours from?

I guess I'm out of the loop, probably for the last 10 years. If .40 isn't as popular anymore, what is the new hot ticket on the market?
9mm dominates the handgun market, for the multitude of reasons discussed above.

10mm has made a resurgence - with lots of new 10mm guns on the market.

.45 still has its followers.

.38 Super is obscure but still available.

.357 Sig is on life support.

.30 Super Carry never got off the ground. Neither did .327 Federal. Pity, I was interested in both.

9mm dominates the handgun market, for the multitude of reasons discussed above.

10mm has made a resurgence - with lots of new 10mm guns on the market.

.45 still has its followers.

.38 Super is obscure but still available.

.357 Sig is on life support.

.30 Super Carry never got off the ground. Neither did .327 Federal. Pity, I was interested in both.
Interesting. Makes sense, I have been a 9mm/.45 cal guy myself.

Thanks for that. I shoot 1000's of rounds a year. SGAmmo, was .90$ per round in 2021-22.

Where do you buy yours from?
I’m a big SGAmmo fan. Bought so many cases from them but yeah, during the pandemic, their prices on 9mm were high.

I did not buy any at that price but shot ammo from my “stash”.

Is a good alternative, and I’ve bought several cases from them. It does pay to shop around a bit.

The Pandemic was an anomaly in ammo pricing but I think prices will remain high during this election year. Demand remains high.

Post election, I think we will see a change. Higher, or lower, as demand will shift depending on who wins.

So, I’ve added just a bit to my stash over the last couple months, as a hedge.

I’m a big SGAmmo fan. Bought so many cases from them but yeah, during the pandemic, their prices on 9mm were high.

I did not buy any at that price but shot ammo from my “stash”.

Is a good alternative, and I’ve bought several cases from them. It does pay to shop around a bit.

The Pandemic was an anomaly in ammo pricing but I think prices will remain high during this election year. Demand remains high.

Post election, I think we will see a change. Higher, or lower, as demand will shift depending on who wins.

So, I’ve added just a bit to my stash over the last couple months, as a hedge.
I have done so aswell. Recently at a local shop, they called me (WOW).....Ammo inc was having a special run of 124 Sierra HP bullets, for $439 per 1000. It is loaded light, but very consistent.

I too did not participate in the ammo crunch, I was fortunate to have stocked up before hand, at least with some stuff.
KIMG0305_02_BURST1000305.JPG

I purchased some 9mm defensive rounds in a couple of local gun stores in the summer of 2020. It was hard to find anything other than FMJ, and the JHP stuff that was available was running $1.25-$1.50 a round.

After the depth of the 2012-2014 ammo shortage*, I vowed that I would never be caught without a decent buffer. When ammo became available again, and prices dropped in 2016, I started buying.

*2012-2014 was a truly remarkable time. Nothing in stock. Everything sold out in minutes, seconds in some cases. People would camp outside their local Walmart, for the arrival of the truck on the day they got ammo. Some neckbeards would buy the limit on .22 and sell it (for double what they paid minutes ago) to those at the end of the line who didn’t get any.

I became a huge fan of MidwayUSA during that time. They limited purchases to 5 boxes/customer, at NORMAL prices, first come first served. They often sold out in seconds, but at least they were fair with their customers, where my local stores raised prices to crazy levels.

I know one guy who started selling his stash of Magpul magazines for $100 each, to those who were panicked about uncertain times. He reckoned there wouldn’t be any significant changes to the law, and he was right, but he had no problem selling magazines for about 10 times what he paid. Just one example, of millions, of ugly profiteering during those couple of years.

For those of you unfamiliar, a Magpul magazine goes for about $14, full retail, and I can often get them on sale for closer to $10. 900% mark up bothered me, but people were willing to pay it.

Last edited:
After the depth of the 2012-2014 ammo shortage*, I vowed that I would never be caught without a decent buffer. When ammo became available again, and prices dropped in 2016, I started buying.

*2012-2014 was a truly remarkable time. Nothing in stock. Everything sold out in minutes, seconds in some cases. People would camp outside their local Walmart, for the arrival of the truck on the day they got ammo. Some neckbeards would buy the limit on .22 and sell it (for double what they paid minutes ago) to those at the end of the line who didn’t get any.

I became a huge fan of MidwayUSA during that time. They limited purchases to 5 boxes/customer, at NORMAL prices, first come first served. They often sold out in seconds, but at least they were fair with their customers, where my local stores raised prices to crazy levels.

I know one guy who started selling his stash of Magpul magazines for $100, to those who were panicked about uncertain times. He reckoned there wouldn’t be any significant changes to the law, and he was right, but he had no problem selling magazines for about 10 times what he paid. Just one example, of millions, of ugly profiteering during those couple of years.
That was a great time. I sold about 3k rounds of 9mm for 4x what I originally paid. I made a little bit of money and the person buying didn't pay too high of a price but they were able to still get some due to supply/demand.

I purchased a 40 caliber Glock
30 years ago when 40 caliber was the new “it” cartridge. Now the ammunition is expensive and getting harder to find especially compared to the price and availability of 9MM. Been thinking about trading it or sell. If it was yours, would you keep or sell/trade for a 9mm?
40 ammo is only slightly more expensive than 9mm in FMJ today, and there's no shortage of it out there. You can find 40 for $.30 per round shipped or even less on sale, with 9mm averaging around $.25 per round shipped. Defensive ammo is about the same price per box today in these calibers. Now 380? THAT's expensive.;)

Back