Glock 40 caliber, should I keep?

I would keep it.

Will the .40 come back in popularity? Maybe. 10mm certainly came back a few years after it was declared “dead”. The market for used guns is flooded with .40s right now, so, you won’t get much for it.

If you like the Glock feel, and are used to it, the Gen 5 G19 (or G17 if you prefer the full size) is a good gun. Trigger seems better than any other out of the box Glock I remember. Some thoughtful improvements in ergonomics with the back straps. Factory night sights are excellent.

Conversion barrels and slides are available but I have no experience with them, so, shop carefully, but if space is tight, or budget is tight, a couple G17 magazines, and a new conversion barrel, like this:

But for a truly defensive gun, not just a range toy, I would go all in and get a new gun, not a conversion. Or, shoot 9mm at the range with the conversion, but keep the tried and true original configuration when carrying/keeping for actual defensive use. I would not trust my life to a conversion.

If you’re shopping for a new Glock, see if you qualify for the Blue Label program, and if not, join the Glock Shooting Sports Foundation. For $35 in an annual membership, you get a $100 coupon off on a new Glock.

Everyone has their opinions about the .40SW, and I'd say that none are 100% right or wrong. Personally, as much as I wanted to like it, the data just doesn't convince me it's all it is claimed.

I made the shift away from .40SW years ago, for many reasons; I haven't shot it in more than a decade. So I divested myself from all the .40SW guns I owned, except for one gun; Glk 23. (The only reason I kept that one is because I have an excellent Ciener .22LR conversion kit for it; I shoot rimfire when training gross motor-skills such as draw/presentation.)

I carried a .40S&W as a duty gun for nearly 20 years. H&K USP compact. I didn’t choose it, but I really liked that gun. It was incredibly reliable*.

But as far as the caliber itself? I like it. It’s got more recoil, it’s got less capacity, than a 9mm. But it’s got less recoil, and more capacity, than a .45ACP. There is evidence that the .40 is no better performing than 9mm in actual defensive encounters.

That’s a discussion on the system performance: shooter, weapon, ammo. The extra recoil of the .40 degrades the performance of that system in the case of many shooters. So, while I have to believe the round itself carries extra energy (bigger, heavier bullet, same velocity) - that extra energy doesn’t equate to better performance in the context of the above-mentioned system.

So, no advantage, for most departments, and for most shooters. But for some of us, who can handle the round, who shoot regularly, the .40 offers a bit of a power advantage over the 9mm, at the cost of some capacity. It’s a modest advantage, and for most folks, it just doesn’t matter, but I like having the choice.

That’s personal preference.

So, my answer to the question (should I keep my G22?) comes from that desire to have the choice.

The point on having multiple calibers during a crisis is a good one, as well. When shelves were bare, during the crisis buying in the pandemic, some items were in stock, and some were not. If you have a couple different calibers, you have a much better chance of finding ammo for at least one of your guns.

So, back to the question - Keep it?

Yeah. Keep it.

*70+ guys in training, for a week, firing 1,200 rounds each, without cleaning them, no malfunctions. That’s right, zero.

40 S&W as I have mentioned before is a some what dead caliber. I where I go and shoot rarely find 40 S&W or38 special . Mostly the range brass is 9mm Parabellum and 223/5.56. The People shooting the fancy rifle calibers seem to reload their brass. I have some 40s I reload and as the Arthritis in the hands gets worst the loading gets lighter. It is good to have a 40 and 2 boxes of ammo in the safe.

Last edited:
It is still slightly more effective per shot than 9, all factors being equal. Keep it. When ammo shortages arrive, it’s nice having an alternative to what everyone else is after.
Not per the exhaustive studies of LEO shootings conducted by the FBI. Both .40 and 9mm per said exhaustive study found that there is NO significant difference, and both calibers generally take 2 rounds to incapacitate. Its like saying .40 takes 1.17 rounds and 9mm takes 1.23 rounds to achieve the same result.

ETA: .40 is a great round. But the argument of "why carry .380 when you can get the same platform in 9mm" holds just as true for .40 and 10mm - as long as you get real 10mm and not ".40 long"

1714687835809.jpg

I kept my S&W 40. I use it strictly for home defence. I don't have a real need to shoot it that often, so I have plenty of rounds for it, and use my 9mm for all the fun stuff.

There are two questions here.

1) Should I buy a 9mm. Answer to that is always yes. There is a reason its the most popular caliber. Not getting into the debate on which is better, but 9mm is clearly a good option to have around.

2) Should I sell the 40? Answer is how much you get and how much that money is worth to you. Is the $300 or whatever meaningful? If so, sure sell. I personally would just keep it.

If you can convert it - that works also.

I was never a fan of the .40. In the same platform, I much preferred 357Sig. Unfortunately, that caliber is on its death bed as well. With that said, I’d recommend dumping the .40 and getting a 20 or 29 if you like Glock

I purchased a 40 caliber Glock
30 years ago when 40 caliber was the new “it” cartridge. Now the ammunition is expensive and getting harder to find especially compared to the price and availability of 9MM. Been thinking about trading it or sell. If it was yours, would you keep or sell/trade for a 9mm?
Nah, get rid of it - sell it to me !

:ROFLMAO:

Back