Glock 20 -ported or nonported?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pablo,

I have owned G19C since 2001.

I have had zero issues with the ported barrel.

In my case, the 9mm round doesnt really require a ported barrel but I got the 19C at a "special price" from a friend who was a manager at a gun store at a time so I thought it would be a cool upgrade.

It does make in the inside of the slide a little more dirty though.

Most who have negative comments about the muzzle flash have never fired a ported Glock or have only seen them on youtube.

I have fired well over 3,000+ rounds from all sorts of different positions, distances and at night (even pitch back) and have not had any negative side effects.

There is no "blinding muzzle flash" and it does not constrict your pupil causing "night blindness" or whatever people call it.

In low light situations, the " V " shapped flash from the port is best described as a dark orange. It is so quick and not bright enough to constrict the pupil of the eye.

If I blip my Insight M3 tactical light to scan a room, that would cause my pupil to constrict more and reduce "night vision".

As for "not being able to fire the weapon close to your body because of the venting of gas" I also have not had an issue with that either.

FWIW, two years ago I went through tactical weapons training as part of a Texas Peace Officer Certification and used my G19C while everyone else used G17's.

I preferred my G19C to the G17, I shot quicker, was as accurate if not more so compared to my colleagues, even at longer distances (attributed to using my personal weapon I was familiar with).

The only downside I have found to the ported Glock is that it is a lot louder than non-ported barrels.

Pablo. Enjoy your new G20C!!

I'm enjoying the heck out of my 20C!

In fact I hadn't even noticed any more noise. Certainly my Sig P229 (.357Sig) is louder. I just just wipe out the inside of the slide, not a big deal.

The best thing I like about the gun is just how great it shoots and it's amazingly tight groups. The only thing I added is a Falcon skateboard tape type grip because Glock plastic is so slippery. Works perfectly.

Originally Posted By: cancov
I'm sure you're aware that the biggest downfall of the ported barrel is the muzzle flash, especially at night. I'd stick with the non-ported barrel. 10mm is a scary round to be in a semi-automatic handgun.

No offense but had you even shot or been with someone shooting a 20C? What you write simply isn't true. There are some puffs and with hot ammo with pitch dark some little flames, but they aren't even distracting. I still don't know why you would think the 10mm to be "scary", any more than other cartridges. I treat all firearms with the utmost respect and the gun rules are the commandments. If you mean recoil - I'm not scared of recoil, I just position all my body to handle it. I didn't find a S&W 500 to be unduly punishing, but I probably wouldn't want to plink with it!

I have shot my ported 454 Casull revolver for many years for fun. That had less flash than some of my 40 S&W reloads out of non-ported G22

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: cancov
I'm sure you're aware that the biggest downfall of the ported barrel is the muzzle flash, especially at night. I'd stick with the non-ported barrel. 10mm is a scary round to be in a semi-automatic handgun.

No offense but had you even shot or been with someone shooting a 20C? What you write simply isn't true. There are some puffs and with hot ammo with pitch dark some little flames, but they aren't even distracting. I still don't know why you would think the 10mm to be "scary", any more than other cartridges. I treat all firearms with the utmost respect and the gun rules are the commandments. If you mean recoil - I'm not scared of recoil, I just position all my body to handle it. I didn't find a S&W 500 to be unduly punishing, but I probably wouldn't want to plink with it!

Pablo,
What ammo you using with your 20c?
how would you compare the coil to a 9mm?
I am thinking of one as side piece when I am out hunting with rifle and/or camera.

I have fired a variety of ammo from the gun. Hot defensive rounds, mellow factory reloads. A wide variety. The 1300-1400 FPS stuff is much stouter that +P 9mm, but very manageable. Grip is very important, much better with the Falcon grips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back