German Castrol Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
...the plot becomes more viscous...
shocked.gif

quote:

Originally posted by absolude:
I remember reading on some board that BMW went from 0W-30 to 10W-60 after engine failures.I just ran a search on M3 boards but found no conection.

The change from 5W-30 to 10W-60 came in the summer of 2001, few months before Sep-Dec built M3s experienced engine failures.
The problems with S62 engine were traced to connecting rod bearings failing under stress, the issue has been addressed since and all M3s received extended warranty on the engines.

[ September 03, 2003, 09:50 PM: Message edited by: F1Crazy ]

F1, I've read the BMW equivalent of a TSB concerning this issue, and it specifically mentions the use of the wrong oil as a contributing factor to the M3 engine failures.

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:
F1, I've read the BMW equivalent of a TSB concerning this issue, and it specifically mentions the use of the wrong oil as a contributing factor to the M3 engine failures.

When was this TSB issued? BMW initially looked at some other factors that could contribute to engine failure but later on it was established that mentioned bearings were failing due to stress and inadequate lubrication. It was not because of oil used (most cars were filled with 10W-60 TWS) but design problem with oil pump and bearings. Thanks to documentation and action taken by some of the owners Service Action was issued.

This is from bimmer.org:
"Re: Notice to Customers Affected by Service Action for M3’s with S54 engines

I’m with BMW of North America, LLC (BMW NA). If your vehicle is affected by the Service Action, BMW NA strongly recommends you have this Service Action performed to reduce the possibility of future engine damage.

Although you currently may not be experiencing any problems related to this Service Action, such as a knocking or rattling sound from the engine, BMW engineers determined that your car has the potential to experience this problem in the future.

As you are aware, the Service Action requires the replacement of the engine oil pump and, as a precautionary measure, replacement of the connecting rod bearings. In addition, the engine control module will be programmed with the latest software, which improves cold-start characteristics.

BMW center technicians receive computer-based training and step-by-step procedures for performing this Service Action. In addition, BMW provides comprehensive M3 specific training to its authorized centers.

BMW Certified Technicians will perform this Service Action. BMW has structured the repair so that it is a simple, straightforward procedure. It is not necessary for the technician to measure for the appropriate connecting rod bearing, since one classification of connecting rod bearing is used for the M3 engine.

The bearings are color-coded to ensure proper placement. BMW has provided a repair kit with all the necessary parts to conduct this Service Action. We are confident that our authorized BMW centers are more than capable to perform this repair correctly.

In the event you received owner notification of this Service Action and neglect to have it performed within a reasonable period after notification, or choose not to have the Service Action performed, and the engine fails, the necessary repairs may not be covered under the terms of the warranty. The warranty does not cover damage, which results from negligence, improper operation of the vehicle, or improper maintenance.

This Service Action will take approximately one day’s work to complete, however, additional time may be required depending upon your BMW center’s scheduling. The repair will be performed free-of-charge.

Please feel free to contact your authorized BMW center with any questions, or you may contact us at 800-831-1117 or through our website, bmwusa.com. "

In my previous post I meant S54 engine (M3), of course and not S62 (M5), sorry.

[ September 03, 2003, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: F1Crazy ]

Hi,
F1Crazey - you are on the right tram. The Bulletin No: S1 B11 02 03 was issued in March 2003

It specifically mentions a (production) "...contamination of the lubrication system". And, "...unfavourable tolerances in the oil pump..."

This "...caused the bearings to overheat and to possible engine failure..."(sic).

On rebuilding under warranty, Castrol 10w-60 was used to refill ( no mention of synthetic )

Some surveys asked about the prior failure use of a 5w-30 oil. Of the 100 odd faiures I quickly reviewed, about 30% did!

This was not an oil failure as far as I can gather. It was a manufacturing and quality control issue

Regards
Doug Hillary
A happy owner of a 1998 Z3 2.8 manual ( on M1 0w-40 )

F1, I wish I could find the BMW site that had the bulletin posted. I do a lot of online research regarding oil and oil related issues, and I ran across this sometime last year. If I remember correctly, BMW didn't blame the oil, it merely stated it was a "contributing factor" given the problems with the oil pump. The M3 engine was shipped from the factory with TWS in it, but BMW dealers in the US were servicing these cars with the 5w30 they put in everything else and that's when the problems started showing up.

Hmm, this is very strange that dealers would fill these engines with 5W-30 since there were strict instructions given by BMWNA:

"Subject: M3 Engine Oil

As of approx. mid-June, the engine oil for the S54B32 engine in the 2001 M3, M3 covertible, M Roadster and M coupe has been changed from 5W-30 to 10W-60. The only approved 10W-60 oil is Castrol Formula RS Synthetic, BMW p/n 07 51 0 009 420. A Service Action will be issued shortly to change the engine oil on cars already delivered, apply an insert into the owner's manual and replace the Service Warranty booklet. Until this service action is published, refer to the underhood engine oil label to reference the required oil, (either 5W-30 or 10W-60) if you are performing an engine oil change as part of scheduled maintenance.

Summary of engine oils used for current Motorsport vehicles:

Z8, all uses 5W-30 P/N 07 51 0 017 866
M5 S62 up to 3/00 uses 10W-60 P/N 07 51 0 009 420
M5 S62 from 3/00 uses 5W-30.
M3 S54 (also M Roadster and M Coupe) now uses 10W60 only
M3 S52 (also M roadster and M coupe) uses 5W30

SI 00 02 00 (2001 Maintenance Requirements) has been updated accordingly and will be sent out this week along with a pack of new maintenance checklists."

The cars that experienced engine problems were built mostly from September to December 2001, few months after this memo. They all receive 1,200 mile oil change after break-in and by that time all dealerships stocked 10W-60.
I guess it just shows how trustworthy dealers are...

quote:

Originally posted by YZF150:
Absolude, what are the production numbers printed on the bottom of the bottles?

Here is what I got.From Canadian tire:
M030426B T/W1240607 0054

and

M030426B T/W1240607 0056

last four digits are hard too see on some bottles as they go over the edge,onto the side.
From Wall-Mart:

M023386B784 1548

All six have same code.The numbers look quite different.

G-Man II the buletin is on bimmers.roadfly or members.roadfly

I wonder if the new rod bearings will give an extra .001" clearance over the stock bearings?
That would turn the Beemers into lose tolerance engines.
Now to patch that up, we need a higher flow capacity oil pump and/or thicker oil.
The high flow pump fix may have worked using 5W30 with the stock rod bearings.
The thicker oil may have worked using the stock oil pump and the original rod bearings.
We know the oil pressure at or near the pump, the oil pressure guage tells us that figure.
What is the oil pressure at the other end of the engine?
Isn't there a thread about loosing a rod bearing and 5W30 oil somewhere else on this board?

When all is said and done, you will have to give the oil companies credits and points for artistic impression, valor under duress, and creative excuses.
sorry, but....
The 5W30 fell flat on its back.
Smack

[ September 04, 2003, 01:27 AM: Message edited by: userfriendly ]

On vacation in San Francisco area. Someone mentioned they found GC in the San Francisco area. WHERE? Which store? Autozones in San Jose, Los Altos, and San Mateo do not have it, nor have they ever heard of it. Warehouse store in Oakland also is at a loss.

Where in SF area did it come from?

Can't recall who it was who found it.

TIA!

Re: M3 motors, I also saw instructions on how to drive the car. Specifically warming up the motor and not reving too hard whilst cold. I think part of the software upgrade was to lower the variable red line when cold.

quote:

Originally posted by theguru:
Re: M3 motors, I also saw instructions on how to drive the car. Specifically warming up the motor and not reving too hard whilst cold. I think part of the software upgrade was to lower the variable red line when cold.

-

When the car is first started and the engine is cold orange LEDs will indicate the appropriate max engine speed, starting at 4,000RPM and increasing by 500RPM all the way to the redline as engine warms up. This procedure should be followed in any car.

That definitely is a neat system! I take it one step beyond in my car though, I don't even rev it beyond 1500rpm for the first couple of minutes of operation, and until it's fully warmed up, it never sees above 2000rpm. This is easier to do in a torquey 350 V8 like mine with an auto trans though, it wouldn't be so easy to do in a higher revving manual tranny car.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
it wouldn't be so easy to do in a higher revving manual tranny car.

offtopic.gif

Patman,

F1Crazy's car was formerly owned by the famous racing driver, Juan Manual Tranny?...cool!
grin.gif

[ September 09, 2003, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:

Patman,

F1Crazy's car was formerly owned by the famous racing driver, Juan Manual Tranny?...cool!
grin.gif

lol.gif

grin.gif

I wish it was true!
burnout.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back