German Castrol Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect that Honda already did that cold temp rpm limit thing on their Legend V6s in the mid late 80's. The engines have both an oil and water temp sensor. All temp adjustments in A/F & timing ratio seems to come from the water temp sensor. I can't see any reason for the oil temp sensor otherwise.

quote:

Originally posted by F1Crazy:
 -

When the car is first started and the engine is cold orange LEDs will indicate the appropriate max engine speed, starting at 4,000RPM and increasing by 500RPM all the way to the redline as engine warms up. This procedure should be followed in any car.

If you'll notice, the redline is effectively cut in half when the engine is cold, i.e., redline is 8000 rpm, but leds begin at 4000 rpm when the engine is cold. I agree with you that this a good rule of thumb for any engine: Until it's warmed up, don't exceed 1/2 the redline. I've always practiced that with my 300M, never exceeding 3250 rpm until the engine is fully warmed up, especially in cold weather.

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
78 actually, but what is 8 quarts among friends...I have offered to share...just consider me the second US outlet for German Castrol!
grin.gif

Dude, I've checked every Autozone in CO Springs, and one in Denver and found none, on several occasions. Hmmmmmmmmmmm, Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, I wonder why I can not find any of this stuff?!?
lol.gif

Hehehe, Pscholte will soon have exclusive price control of Castrol 0w30 because he has all the supply! We're going to be bargaining up the price, I can see it coming. Seriously man, 78 quarts of oil? An oil that can be extended on drains? You ain't gonna run out until we've long since past the days of the internal combusiton engine!!! Care to spare me a couple quarts or tell me where in CO Springs you can find the stuff?

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:

quote:

78 actually, but what is 8 quarts among friends...I have offered to share...just consider me the second US outlet for German Castrol!
grin.gif

Dude, I've checked every Autozone in CO Springs, and one in Denver and found none, on several occasions. Hmmmmmmmmmmm, Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, I wonder why I can not find any of this stuff?!?
lol.gif

Hehehe, Pscholte will soon have exclusive price control of Castrol 0w30 because he has all the supply! We're going to be bargaining up the price, I can see it coming. Seriously man, 78 quarts of oil? An oil that can be extended on drains? You ain't gonna run out until we've long since past the days of the internal combusiton engine!!! Care to spare me a couple quarts or tell me where in CO Springs you can find the stuff?

I left FOUR CASES at the Autozone on 8th St for TWO WEEKS...when nobody else came calling, I made my move...I am more than happy to share the wealth...I am almost positive they still have some and will get more, but you are closer to me than you are to that store. (Occasionally, the Autozone on Austin Bluffs has some, but they are erratic...8th St pretty regularly has some.)

[ September 11, 2003, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

I simply won't run Castrol because I don't trust them...

With that said though, I figure the hype is going on here for a few reasons.

1. Something new on the market
2. An "Exotic" oil...0w-30, German, etc, etc...
3. The fact of it (I believe) being a true synthetic, not just another $4/quart group III.
4. Being a thick 30 weight oil, not almost a 20 weight, like Mobil1 (come to think of it, does this oil qualify as GF-3??)

quote:

Originally posted by badnews:
whatever this is getting pathetic.

Dude, this is an oil junky web forum. Motor oil IS OUR CRACK.

Pscholte, I may take you up on your offer. However, I have some Redline MT90 on hold at American Speed Center, so I may just grab some Redline 10w-30 for my next oil interval until I see some more convincing evidence that GC 0w-30 really is da shiznit.

I hear you, why do you think I am here ------------ yes for the same reasons. But this is getting hyped up way out of proprortion.
dunno.gif
And I am beginning to ask myself why

[ September 11, 2003, 10:14 PM: Message edited by: badnews ]

quote:

Originally posted by Jelly:
I simply won't run Castrol because I don't trust them...

With that said though, I figure the hype is going on here for a few reasons.

1. Something new on the market
2. An "Exotic" oil...0w-30, German, etc, etc...
3. The fact of it (I believe) being a true synthetic, not just another $4/quart group III.
4. Being a thick 30 weight oil, not almost a 20 weight, like Mobil1 (come to think of it, does this oil qualify as GF-3??)

Yeah, and they are now taking on the aspect of the old Snake Oil salesman, put a little out, hype it, make a demand, this is getting very strange, and my spider senses are tingling.

quote:

I hear you, why do you think I am here ------------ yes for the same reasons. But this is getting hyped up way out of proprortion.
dunno.gif

badnews,

Not everyone is going to "get into" this oil and the hype that accompanies it. If you are one of those, that's fine. No harm, no foul. But like Drew99GT said, for many reasons, this is a "high" for some of us (stemming from both fact and emotion) and just like no one has to buy into it, no one should put down the hype that's being passed between those who are "into" this thing. For people who don't think GC is any big deal, and who are annoyed by the give and take, the best approach is to avoid these threads. From my vantage point, you are most welcome, but if it is annoying, avoid it. Since you think the oil is no big deal you won't be missing anything (except maybe some good humor). Again, I'm not suggesting you and others who share your feelings are "not welcome." I just don't want you annoyed at those of us who are genuinely having fun with this.

quote:

quote:

dunno.gif

badnews,

Not everyone is going to "get into" this oil and the hype that accompanies it. If you are one of those, that's fine. No harm, no foul. But like Drew99GT said, for many reasons, this is a "high" for some of us (stemming from both fact and emotion) and just like no one has to buy into it, no one should put down the hype that's being passed between those who are "into" this thing. For people who don't think GC is any big deal, and who are annoyed by the give and take, the best approach is to avoid these threads. From my vantage point, you are most welcome, but if it is annoying, avoid it. Since you think the oil is no big deal you won't be missing anything (except maybe some good humor). Again, I'm not suggesting you and others who share your feelings are "not welcome." I just don't want you annoyed at those of us who are genuinely having fun with this.

OK
wink.gif

How "Green" is green? I finally got around to making an oil change with the GC that I purchased many months back at Walmart in Mississauga Ontario it didn't at all green? I'll take a pic of the bottle later this evening.

I one thing I noticed almost immediate, I had some piston slap on my Z24 97 Cavalier and it seems to have complete gone away. Previously I had been using QS 10W30 for the last 3-6 oil changes.

I'll run a 5000km sample and have it tested to see what type of numbers I'm getting. I was going to run for the 5K on the 10W30 but just never got around to doing it.

Paco

quote:

Originally posted by paco:
How "Green" is green? I finally got around to making an oil change with the GC that I purchased many months back at Walmart in Mississauga Ontario it didn't at all green? I'll take a pic of the bottle later this evening.

Depending on the light, it is definitely green, but it's like a greenish gold color. It almost looks like coolant mixed in with your oil.

Never met a BMW "M" owner that would use less then 5W-50 synthetic. Majority prefers 10W-60, but someone uses 15W-50 or 15W-60 (where they are available). According to "M" owners 10W-60 better maintains appropriate oil pressure and burns less. Nobody discusses cold cranking: firstly, 10W-60 does not cause a problem to start at -20 C, secondly, the temperature below 0-10 C implies possibility to see snow or ice and in such conditions BMW "pilotes" usually do not fly.

Interesting here is no 0W-30 ACEA A3/B3 weight among BMW oils. Below is BMW AG - TIS dated 06/2003 (I indicate Part No. only for 1 liter bottle)

5.0 "Longlife-01" for all engines, except:
M43/CNG, S54, S62/E39 (till 02/2000)

BMW Quality Longlife-01 0W-40 , Part No. 83 21 0 144 456
BMW Quality Longlife-01 5W-30 , Part No. 83 21 0 144 450

ACEA A3/B3

Castrol Formula SLX 0W-30
Castrol Formula SLX Zero-W 0W-30
Castrol Syntec 0W-30
Castrol Super Racing 0W-40
Castrol TXT Softec LL01 5W-30

6.0 "Longlife-01 FE" for last generation engines only: N40, N42, N62, N73

BMW Quality Longlife-01 FE 0W-30 , Part No. 83 21 0 144 462

Castrol SLX 01 FE 0W-30

ACEA A1/B1

7.0 "Longlife-98" for all engines except:
M43/CNG, M54 (from 09/2001), N40, N42, S54, N62, N73, S62/E39 (till 02/2000)

BMW Super Power Plus 5W-30 is substituted by
BMW Quality longlife-01 5W-30 , Part No. 83 21 0 144 450
BMW Super Power Oil 5W-40 , Part No. 81 22 9 407 547

ACEA A3/B3

Castrol Formula RS Power and Protection 0W-40
Castrol Formula RS Road and Track 5W-40
Castrol GTX7 Dynatec 5W-40
Castrol Performance 5W-40
Castrol Syntec 5W-40
Castrol TXT Softec 5W-40
Castrol Softec LL98 5W-30
Castrol Softec Plus 5W-30

9.0 Motoroils for S54, S62/E39 (till 02/2000)

Castrol TWS Motorsport 10W-60 , Part No. 83 12 0 029 683

Castrol TWS Motorsport 10W-60 *

* Instead of Castrol Formula RS Racing Syntec 10W-60. This trade name will be used for the oil which will not have BMW approval.

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
If BMW "fixed" the blowing-up engine problem, then why the 10-60 recommendation? Why don't they just stick with the 5-30 now that the problem is fixed???

BMW "M" engines of 80-90th like many other european OEMs sport oriented engines (and not only sport) have not been designed for 0W-30, 5W-30 and even 0W-40 oils.

quote:

Originally posted by paco:

Voila!

-

Mind you, it doesn't always look this green, it depends on the light and the angle.

[ October 20, 2003, 06:47 PM: Message edited by: Quick_lude ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back