German Castrol Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
Doug Castrol pulled all SLX 0W30 from retail and distributors and have a heap sitting at head office. They were kinda coy about it, and pushed Formula R the replacement. Maybe they knew something after all?? I was thinking about getting some to trial in the Outback but think I'll pass thanks!

Sprintman,

Hoarding it, no doubt, so they can use it in their own vehicles...oldest trick in the book!
grin.gif

Have any idea what the "vintage" is of the stuff they are pulling back?

[ August 31, 2003, 10:41 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

No I think they knew there was a problem and Castrol pulled it. Still no 0W30 Formula R replacement just 0W40. Doug's problem doesn't appear to be the first instance but even though I'm keeping an open mind I think there's better stuff around.

sprintman,

Unless they have suppressed all information about the "problem," so that no one could get access to it, it seems like Castrol could get themselves into monumental trouble by introducing the oil in a new market when it had been problematic in an old one (in other words coldly, calculatingly dumping it)...should users start filing complaints it seems they could send their already blemished reputation totally down the tubes. I cannot imagine them being so foolish. There may indeed have been some "incidents," as there probably are with other oils (e.g. sludge supposedly found in a Pennzoil lubed engine); I think the likely scenario here is that it just didn't sell in the Oz marketplace (maybe the 0W30 was just not right for you all) and so they pulled it. That might explain why you are not seeing a 0W30 replacement from them in Oz. (Do you have the 0W20 SLX there?)

[ August 31, 2003, 11:48 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

quote:

Which refineries do the "German" products come from?
The newly aquired ones in the Czech Republic?
How about the Belgium Mobil?
Is that from Poland?
Where are the crude oils from?
Has anyone checked into the sourse of these lubricants?
Are the PAOs from Russian natural gas feed stock?
Why buy anything at all made in North America?
Will the last person with a job, please turn out the lights?

lol.gif

Wonder if this German Castrol can cure Cancer too? I heard it might stop the ageing process as well. We must fight to find the German Castrol!
twak.gif

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
I think the likely scenario here is that it just didn't sell in the Oz marketplace (maybe the 0W30 was just not right for you all) and so they pulled it.

I think that's the most plausible explanation, especially considering all the strange "25w70" type viscosities you hear of as being "the norm" down under. If you've got a buying public that's been raised on viscosities like that, how do you think they are going to perceive a 0w30 oil?
thumbsdown.gif

Hi,
Sprintman - look after the Outback - mine will get new "boots" soon the original Yokohama's are @ 90000kms

I have just visited AutoOne at Proserpine. No SLX now ( has been withdrawn ) and the 'new" stuff is Castrol R 5w-30 SL, and on special for $A44.95. The packaging is less than comprehensive about its actual specification

The "old" SJ Castrol R 10w-60 is still there though - lots of it at $A66.65 - the same price as the new Castrol R of a near similar grade

I am waiting on a friend and ex. employee - an Engineer with Castrol to contact me. He will tell me "the story"! Well, unless he is living under the big BP mushroom

Regards
Doug

G-Man2; Agreed, 0W30 is a hard sell in a warm climate, and likely in western Europe too.

Groucho M; Pet-Can's lube plant was on line in 96.
Who owns the other big 'un in Louisianna?
You don't want to start any trade or boarder wars?
Why is it always up to me to start ____t?

[ September 01, 2003, 12:18 AM: Message edited by: userfriendly ]

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:
I think the likely scenario here is that it just didn't sell in the Oz marketplace (maybe the 0W30 was just not right for you all) and so they pulled it.

I think that's the most plausible explanation, especially considering all the strange "25w70" type viscosities you hear of as being "the norm" down under. If you've got a buying public that's been raised on viscosities like that, how do you think they are going to perceive a 0w30 oil?
thumbsdown.gif

So true! I have friends that run 5w30 oil who think that this 0w30 oil is going to be too thin. Little do they know that in fact it's thicker than what they run, at least under normal outside temps, and that the only time it's thinner is when it gets very cold out.

Could it be possible that Castrol decided to market the SLX in a economy that regards 3000 mile drain intervals as 'NORMAL' and knows that they're much less likely to have problems when the fluid is changed early?

If there truly is a issue with the Castrol SLX then disposing of it in a high consumption society such as North America would be genius.

Amsoil has never payed a claim due to poor oil performance. There are too many other places to lay the blame when engine failure occurs. Castrol knows that they'll never have to pay out a claim either. I certainly wouldn't put it past them.

edited due to poor spelling.

[ September 01, 2003, 07:43 AM: Message edited by: FowVay ]

OK, maybe SLX is as bad as some are saying.
shocked.gif

But, what about all the UOA that look great so far?
dunno.gif

Are we saying that an oil can tear up your engine while your UOA shows almost no wear?
pat.gif

This whole thing is somewhat puzzling. We have an oil that has all sorts of credentials: API Service SL/CF; BMW Longlife-01; ACEA A3/B3/B4-98; MB 229.1 and 229.3; VW 502.00, 505.00, 503.01 and Porsche approved. So what we are saying is that every one of these tests and these manufacturers "missed it" and let a bad oil slip through the qualification/OEM approval process. Let me guess: it is a conspiracy on the part of the API, the ACEA, the OEMS and Castrol to make us replace our cars faster or change our oil more frequently.
rolleyes.gif

Well I'm pretty sure that Castrol TXT Softec Plus meets all those specs too, but I'm not that impressed with it--it seems to have poor TBN retention (that is, if BMW's HiPerf Synth oil is indeed Castrol TXT Softec Plus)

Anyhow, I finally got around to putting SLX into the 528i, I was so excited that I almost overfilled it! I think I got a buzz off the sweet fumes
grin.gif

So far, so good, the car runs great. The double VANOS really makes itself felt now! I'm sure the Auto-RX helped here too.

I will observe for deposits under the oil cap (BMW's synth oil leaves a mess) and then get a UOA at 10,000 miles. Stay tuned...

Just replace the factory fill with 7 qts. of German Castrol 0W30 in my 530i. Hey, if I blow it up, I've got an excuse now. Picked up 6 more qts. while at AutoZone to recycle the used. A 6 pack had 3 different lot #s.

code:

M030426A T/W05482 1525 1 qt.

M030426A T/W05482 1531 2 qts.

M030426A T/W05482 1532 3 qts.

quote:

Originally posted by joatmon:
Just replace the factory fill with 7 qts. of German Castrol 0W30 in my 530i. Hey, if I blow it up, I've got an excuse now. Picked up 6 more qts. while at AutoZone to recycle the used. A 6 pack had 3 different lot #s.

code:

M030426A T/W05482 1525 1 qt.

M030426A T/W05482 1531 2 qts.

M030426A T/W05482 1532 3 qts.

It appears the TAG 784 and 785 lots are being followed up by the T/W..... lots. These lots, as I recall were previously seen in Canada, CA and the Midwest/Northeast.

FowVay I think your on to something. SLX pulled from shelves here where nobody would change it at 3,000 miles (5,000kms) or could afford too and later appears in NA where 3,000 mile changes are the norm. Varnishing etc seen in long term use wouldn't happen in short changes IMO. UOA's could still be good as well. If this is true my opinion of Castrol has dropped even further.

sprintman,

I will admit that circumstantially you and FowVay can make a case, but I refuse to accept that everyone along the way (API, ACEA, Mercedes, Porsche, VW/Audi, BMW, Opel, etc etc) are either so negligent, incompetent or dishonest as to let an oil that has a DOCUMENTED performance problem carry their approvals. (Where are the Technical Bulletins retracting their approvals?) Are we going to trust or give credibility to ANYONE? If indeed all these organizations/OEMs I mentioned are that negligent, incompetent or in cahoots to get our engines through the warranty period and dump us, then we all had better resort to public transportation or walking! (And this is not a "Scholte loves German Castrol so it is his 'hot button' issue." I have said the same thing in a thread where M1 0W40 was getting the knock bigtime.)

[ September 01, 2003, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

Yes circumstantial as was Doug's problem. M1 0W40 was getting a god kicking, even though UOA wear was good, due too it's thinning. Lately though much more positive talk. Maybe i'm caught up in the "Group III for real syn pricing argument" and somewhat biased. Anyway I'll keep an open mind on the SLX for now.

Hi there,
well this is a brief synopsis of the Castrol Formula SLX saga in OZ;

1 - the original 1997> Castrol SLX SJ 0w-30 was of German origin and sometime later - perhaps after a year or two, it was blended in OZ

2 - Castrol Formula SLX has now been "phased out here due to technology upgrades"
The last version of SLX ( SL ) that was sold here was in a different package than the original SJ version and it was not seen on shelves too often.
The old SLX just sat there - sometimes alongside the SL version and at the same price!
This is despite the imported Ford Explorer's need for such an oil and the range of four cylinder engines made here by GM, that are exported and installed in certain Korean, English and German vehicles imported here

3 - The new Castrol synthetic range is;

Castrol R - 5w-30
Castrol R - 0w-40
Castrol R - 10w-60

There is also a semi-synthetic version of "R" as well

It should be noted that the old SLX was priced originally in 1997 at about $A60 for 5ltrs.
I saw it - the SJ version - on sale in Brisbane a month or so ago at $A115 or thereabouts

The new Castrol R 5w-30 was on special yesterday at $A44.95, undercutting every other synthetic oil on our market!

The recommended replacement for SLX is the R 0w-40. "...it is more robust..." "...and more suitable in our climate and for our vehicle's use..."

Further to my VW oil pump issue and before it happened I was using SLX SJ in other vehicles. I felt this was the case and it trigged the move to use it in the VW. I checked on my archived records just now to get these details
I first used SLX SJ in Feb 1997 in a new V6 Explorer. It was changed at 15kkms intervals and the car was sold without incident in late 1998. It had about 53kkms on it
It was also put in a new Daewoo Nubira in July 1998 and changed it at 15kkms intervals until sold in April 2000. It was trouble free and had done about 55kkms
These vehicle were primarily used in long distance work in a hot climate - sometimes with ambients up to 45C

I hope this helps you all a little

Regards
Doug Hillary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back