Generic Drugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our state just passed a law that all prescriptions must be filled with generics unless the doctor specifically writes "dispense as written", medically necessary.

I don't like that. Whether drugs or oil, I should be able to buy whatever brand I want as long as I'm paying my money. Of course, the legislature will be exempt from this.

Well at least they didn't declare all motor oils are the same because they meet spec., so I have to abandon bitog and just get the cheapest.
lol.gif

You never know if your doctor or pharmacist is acting in your best interest or just following the law. Now the individual is even losing the power to decide.
dunno.gif

In my neck of the woods, the doctor has always had to check one of two blocks: "Dispense as written" or "Substitution permitted". The choice is the Doctor's and the pharmacist dispenses accordingly. My doctor discusses the pros and cons if necessary of his choice made and we move on. In general, I lean towards generics, anyway, because my body doesn't know the difference. I do have some friends who must have certain medicines in the name brand form only, because their body reacts differently to the generic type than to the name brand.

You may still ask your doctor to specify name brand if you are willing to pay. The law doesn't prohibit that.

They are literally the same chemicals, manufactured in factories meeting the same standards, subject to the same regulatory requirements insofar as the USDA/Health Canada is concerned.

It is much like purchasing petrol. Would you rather buy your Chevron-manufactured petrol from a "Chevron" station, or a "Wal-Mart" station?

Down here, you getto choose to a degree.

Doctor prescribes (with his free lunches etc in mind), and the pharmacist advises on whether there is a generic available.

The state pays (a proportionally) larger part of the Generic costs.

You can choose to pay more for the brand-name.

pitzel,
my cousin is a drug pusher for a pharmaceutical company, as is her brother in law.

Same company, but one is human medicine, the other is veterinarian.

One drives a company BMW, attends "conferences" at all sorts of resorts, provides antipasto plates when visting "overworked" doctors, and gets a comission, while the other drives a company provided Ford Falcon, selling the same drugs to veterinarians for a salary.

They are the same drug in many cases.

quote:

Originally posted by haley10:
Our state just passed a law that all prescriptions must be filled with generics unless the doctor specifically writes "dispense as written", medically necessary.

I don't like that. Whether drugs or oil, I should be able to buy whatever brand I want as long as I'm paying my money. Of course, the legislature will be exempt from this.

Well at least they didn't declare all motor oils are the same because they meet spec., so I have to abandon bitog and just get the cheapest.
lol.gif

You never know if your doctor or pharmacist is acting in your best interest or just following the law. Now the individual is even losing the power to decide.
dunno.gif

Are you paying the FULL cost of the prescription, or is insurance and/or some government entity taking up much of the cost?

I just read that Tn has extremely high prescription drug consumption - Id have thought Fl would be higher, but I guess not.

You want choice, then pay the whole cost out of your pocket - or make the rule that if a generic is available, it will be given unless the user pays the entire price difference between the two.

If youre paying it all, I dont see the problem, and likely there is a way around it. If any other entity is involved, it makes a lot of sense, especially since most peoples' prescriptions are filled and paid for by insurance or the gov't - it is then a reasonable cost-cutting measure.

JMH

Generic in drugs means same chemical fomulation, not equivalent performance. So any extra $ you pay to the designer drug is just that, designer.

See the problem here about doctor visited by drug company reps? You never know whether they get commission or favor by promoting those drugs and check "as prescribed" without informing consumer. Most of the time they are "as prescribed" and paid for by insurance/government and in the end everyone pay for it.

It is a good law.

Well Tn is very sensitive to drug prices because of Tenncare and the state pays for a good amount of the prescription drug costs though they are attempting to scale back and its changing.

Not all generics are equal. I might suggest doing a bit of research on the generics from Barr labs before you use any of them. Im sure that your doctor would be happy to allow branded prescriptions if you ask for them and request them and he could make a short notation on the script giving you the choice.

Some smaller pharmacies are so used to the proliferation of generics that they dont carry large supplies of the non generics or if they do the inventory may be old. I would ask your pharmacist about it.

There is a real struggle with the new laws in the tenncare realm and frankly pharmacists are having to check with the government on dispensing many of the prescriptions and the rules regarding compensation for them.

In some cases pharmacists have to turn people away from life saving medicines because the funds arent there to pay for them and its a heartwrenching experience for them.

The pharmacy business is tightly regulated and profit margins are relatively slim. There is almost no variance between price between any of the pharmacies in the Tn area because of stringent price controls from insurers and governments so pharmacies have to compete on service, quality, and convenience.

IMO for what its worth there are certainly drugs that are worth the extra cost in buying brands versus generics and if you are paying for them then it shouldnt be a problem. Your pharmacist can pick up the phone and make a call and confirm it with the doctor. It usually only takes a few minutes to get this done. There are also a good amount of drugs where generics are a good idea.

Different generic firms have different levels of quality and different agendas in their business model and its never a bad idea to do some research and study what you are putting into your body.

Right now the pharmacy situation in Tn is in a high state of flux and there is a lot of concern on a wide variety of fronts as to how it will shake out and land. Tenncare is confusing pretty much everybody in the state.

My advice would be to find a small family owned firm that will work with you and explain your options rather than a chain store where you hand them a script, get back a bottle, and get herded to a cashier to pay for it.

Happy Motoring to You,

cool.gif

Bugshu

I think it is safe to say that for the vast majority of people,generic drugs work as well as the name brands do.

If one has their doubts about a generic drug,try it and if they arent happy,get the name brand the next time.

Bushu, right on. Some anti-biotics can be cheap even in name brand and have no side effects. Some generics can save you $5 or $10 and have you in the toilet all the time. Worth it even though effective? Common sense is called for.

Thanks for the insight, Bugshu. I was under the impression and the ingredient list comparison that all generic / designer are the same except inert ingredient.

I do understand that quality can matter but think of it this way: if your drug will not work just because the quality is marginally different (i.e. 20% less effective) then your doctor should prescribe something that is more robust and FDA should revoke the license for that generic brand, and I am sure the class action lawyers are ready for a big fish.

If it is just a subtle difference like between Chevron and Penzoil, or Mobil 1 and Castrol, where the prescription dose is like a 3k dino OCI and 5k synthetic OCI, then what is the problem with generic?

Dont the generic drug makers have to be within the same guidelines as the name brands?

In other words,if a generic company is allowed a margin of X% in its manufacturing of a drug,deosnt the same apply to the name brand?

I did some studying and around and discovered that a full 25% of the employees at Tn Wal-Marts are on Tenncare. We have a health care program going virtually bankrupt and throwing an entire states economy into uncharted chaos and the biggest, most succesful, corporation in the history of the world using it as a alternative health care plan for its employees.

I dont want to get into politics or Wal-Mart bashing but it just makes me sick that TennCare is dragging Tn into bankruptcy and greedy corporations are abusing the intent of the program. TennCare was designed as a helping hand for medical care for people who needed it and not as a supplemental health care plan for corporations too greedy to provide health care plans of their own for their employees.

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=te...Search&fr=FP-tab-web-t&toggle=1&cop=&ei=UTF-8

More on the TennCare crises can be found Here:

http://www.reclaimdemocracy.org/walmart/tennessee_workers_medicaid.php

I sort of hope this discussion stays non political and non bashing of Wal-Mart as health care is a topic of concern for many and appropriate for an off topic thread and yet as the largest employer in Tn Wal-Marts reliance on TennCare to provide their employees medical coverage is certainly impacting the program. I find it interesting and sad that the one guys manager is telling him that he doesnt need WMT healthcare because TennCare already provides everything that WMT healthcare would.

*Sigh*

TennCare is doomed with attitudes like this running around the state.

Happy Motoring All,

cool.gif

Bugshu

I bow down to our corporate overlords since I hve but one vote to offer while the mighty blessed corporate structure can offer high-paying jobs to the special class and give millions of dollars for one speech by one of the elite class.

How many college grads START at $100,000 per year? Clinton's kid did and she isn't some prodigy doing what few others can do.

Reagen set a new record... a couple million for a 15-minute speech.

But, HEY!!!! I have ONE vote so the republic is in fine shape.

Habla Espanol?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back