Gen 8 Accord rear brakes-What tool?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Tundragod
I don't remember turning mine in when I replaced the read pads on mine. I think I used c-clamps to push the pistons in. I did it twice, 29k and 75k miles.

Hrm, just looked it up. 2008's use the same type of assembly, parking brake in caliper. You sure it wasn't one of your other cars? Don't think there's any way to force them back in without tearing up the adjuster.

Originally Posted by Tundragod
I don't remember turning mine in when I replaced the read pads on mine. I think I used c-clamps to push the pistons in. I did it twice, 29k and 75k miles.

On the front or rears ? Every Honda (and other cars) I've had req'd turning the piston back in on the rears. Never realized it was related to the parking brake but not doubting that it is.

On a related note, and if people already know this, disregard, but if there's 1 or 2 small protrusions on the face of the piston, make sure to align them with the corresponding dimples on the back of the pads.

Originally Posted by The Critic
The "cube" works fine on that particular caliper set-up.

Gotta go with the cubeheads on this one.
I picked up a cube yesterday from AAP and it worked just great.
I dragged my feet on this job since I've heard so many horror stories about this rear brake design.
Turned out to be really easy and from getting the floor jack out to putting the second wheel on the ground took less than an hour and I wasn't rushing either, just working at a steady pace.
New Accord has that electro-mechanical (not really anything that can be called electronic) parking brake setup, so that'll be an entirely different ballgame if and when it needs rear brakes. Given how much use you can make of the regen braking, that day may never come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back